Wiki Posts
Search

Noise-cancelling earphone suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Huh?
Bluetooth is supposed to be non ionizing radiation and safe

Ionzibg radiation can carry enough energy to change molecules/cells (risk of injury/cancer). Think x-rays and radioactive things
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by wco81
Huh?
Google around. There are a number of papers and studies. Supposedly they proved that it can cause cancer in rats. Of course no one knows for sure, but I do not want to mess around with something that close to my brain for long periods.

Your cell phone is MUCH more powerful and we often hold those up to our ears. But, at least for me, that is never for more than a minute or two. And for long calls or conference calls I always use the wired ear buds. But if you are listening for hours per day to wireless ear buds, it is quite possible to cause harm.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well cell phones have been around for decades now. There have been studies done, nothing conclusive.

Or is there any evidence that incidence of brain cancers have increased?

Bluetooth headphones for stereo use haven't been around as long or used widely for more than a few years. But people did have bluetooth headsets as earpieces they used for calls. Bluetooth is suppose to be low power, hence how they're able to be used for hours. As noted, non-ionizing radiation and very low power compared to phones.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Several NC headphones really discounted for Black Friday. I'm guessing these are old models or ones that didn't sell well.

Target through today has Beats Solo 3 NC for $130, instead of the original $300, Sony WH1000XM3/B for $280 instead of $350, Bose QC35 II for $280 instead of $350, Sony WHCH700N/B for $90 instead of $200,

They got a bunch of other headphones, without ANC, also discounted fairly steeply.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Google around. There are a number of papers and studies. Supposedly they proved that it can cause cancer in rats. Of course no one knows for sure, but I do not want to mess around with something that close to my brain for long periods.

Your cell phone is MUCH more powerful and we often hold those up to our ears. But, at least for me, that is never for more than a minute or two. And for long calls or conference calls I always use the wired ear buds. But if you are listening for hours per day to wireless ear buds, it is quite possible to cause harm.
I believe that the NC devices using Bluetooth for music are primarily passive receivers and are mostly only transmitting a control signal when activated to Stop, Pause, etc. Therefore their radiated power is minimal and infrequent. During a call, this would increase of course for the duration of the call, but still...
Old Nov 10, 2019, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by draver
I believe that the NC devices using Bluetooth for music are primarily passive receivers and are mostly only transmitting a control signal when activated to Stop, Pause, etc. Therefore their radiated power is minimal and infrequent. During a call, this would increase of course for the duration of the call, but still...
There's no such thing as a passive receiver that you can send audio to. It is only in passive mode when nothing is happening. BT wakes up every once in a while to see if anything is happening, and if so, it has relatively powerful receiver power.

And here is a comparison with iPhones and hearing aids.

Again, you can google all this stuff if you really want to know.

Last edited by stimpy; Nov 10, 2019 at 1:47 pm
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:28 pm

My car radio is a passive receiver.

I did google for a link about Bluetooth and cancer and found very little except a paper from a few years back that has been quoted extensively since it seems to be the only one making that claim. Apparently no mainstream cancer research has found any correlation with either cellular or Bluetooth and cancer. The Airpods antenna is in the mic stem that points away from the ear canal, not beaming radiation into your brain as claimed. I hear chemtrails also cause cancer but I cannot find a credible link for that either. Your charts do not reflect the fact that the antenna of iPhones are not in your ear like a hearing aid, and therefore are apples & oranges for comparison purposes.

One more thing, if you're going to use someone else's material to support your beliefs, you should at least show us where it was obtained, otherwise it's useless.

Last edited by draver; Nov 10, 2019 at 6:33 pm
Old Nov 10, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by draver
My car radio is a passive receiver.
Are you talking about passive crossover audio? That's not at all the same thing.

One more thing, if you're going to use someone else's material to support your beliefs, you should at least show us where it was obtained, otherwise it's useless.
Um, I haven't posted my beliefs in this thread. This is the technology forum, not the religion forum. But since you are having difficulty with google search, let me help you with these links. And there are countless links and many studies about the cancer issue if you look.

https://graquantum.com/basics-bluetooth-bluetooth-work/

http://www.elektrorevue.cz/clanky/04...h.htm#Kapitola

Last edited by stimpy; Nov 10, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Nov 11, 2019, 5:39 am

Uh huh.

No, as in it doesn't transmit passive.

There is a LOT of radiation we are exposed to every day. My microway kills my Bluetooth from 3 feet in front of it while running. That's probably 100's of times more exposure than Airpods.

Here's who don't believe there is a link, but then, they're not some on line conspiracy web sites, so I guess you can't believe them.

National Cancer Institute (NCI)
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) is part of the World Health Organization (WHO)

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer...ar-phones.html

I realize you'll need to have the last word, so I'll let this thread proceed without any further comment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.