Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Internet access question in SEA (Southeast Asia)

Old Sep 22, 19, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

I am traveling to Cambodia and Thailand and I plan on buying a sim card in each country when I arrive. I won't be using it for phone calls much, mostly just for internet access (I use google maps for directions). Do I need to purchase any special plans for this?
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, 270 views and no responses. That should tell you something.

I will venture to say that you should buy a data plan.

There are also many multi-country SIMs out there. There are a few threads on them.

If your phone is eSIM-capable you can also get a virtual SIM from Ubigi or its ilk and buy a data plan that works in both countries.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Yes, I had come to that same conclusion. I'm unfamiliar with multi-country sims. I will have to check into them. I have a Samsung S7 so I assume it is eSIM capable. Never heard of eSIMS either so I guess I will have to look into them also. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe the S7 has an eSIM.

Check out the threads on multi-country SIMs for more.

Or just buy a new SIM in each country.
Old Sep 24, 19, 12:06 pm

How long are you going to be in each country ?

First sign up for the LINE app since most people use that ,

You can get a Sim card at arrivals at the Airport , I would get phone / text/ data as its real cheap ,
I believe all the Thai phone companies have roaming in Cambodia , not sure the other way around ,

You can get an AIS sim on Amazon thats good for a week , or 2 weeks ,
Old Sep 24, 19, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

I am going to be in Cambodia for a week and Thailand for 10 days. I think I'm just going to get a sim in each country. It might not be the cheapest route but it should be the easiest. I'm afraid I don't know anybody that uses the LINE app and I don't intend to make any phone calls. I just want to be able to use google maps while I'm there. Thanks for the input though.
Old Oct 1, 19, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; Hilton G; Marriott G; SPG G
Who is your carrier? I use T-mobile, and it was about $15 for international data for a month. You can turn it on when you leave and turn it off when you get back home. You will find free wi-fi everywhere. I use it for FaceTime calls. I no longer deal with the hassle of buying SIM cards. The free data an texting worked just find.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I don't have a carrier. My daughter gave me an S7 that she doesn't use anymore so I was going to buy a sim card when I got there. I don't really need it for phone calls. I am just going to use google maps for directions and to check-in with e-tickets mostly.
Old Oct 3, 19, 3:28 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by George of the Jungle View Post
Who is your carrier? I use T-mobile, and it was about $15 for international data for a month. You can turn it on when you leave and turn it off when you get back home. You will find free wi-fi everywhere. I use it for FaceTime calls. I no longer deal with the hassle of buying SIM cards. The free data an texting worked just find.
As a postpaid US T-mobile customer, I rarely bother with paying for data while overseas. Between cached Google Maps and wifi I actually appreciate that the slower load times force me to pay attention to my surroundings.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Cliff358 View Post
I don't have a carrier. My daughter gave me an S7 that she doesn't use anymore so I was going to buy a sim card when I got there. I don't really need it for phone calls. I am just going to use google maps for directions and to check-in with e-tickets mostly.
Do check that the S7 is unlocked ,so you can use it on other carriers than who your daughter bought it from ....
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Her carrier is Verizon. I stopped by and spoke to one of their techs. He said their phones are all unlocked now and all I had to do was drop a new sim in it and it should work fine. Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by Cliff358 View Post
Her carrier is Verizon. I stopped by and spoke to one of their techs. He said their phones are all unlocked now a.nd all I had to do was drop a new sim in it and it should work fine. Thanks.
This doesn't mean yours is unlocked unless it was purchased recently. S7 is a model that is a few years old and I don't know how long Verizon has been selling unlocked phones although this article suggests it has been a while
https://www.whistleout.com/CellPhone...nlocking-guide
IME single country sims are cheaper (and usually work better) than multiple country sims so I like your plan.
esim's didn't start until recently and s7 is too old for it to have one

Last edited by estnet; Oct 5, 19 at 12:23 am
Old Oct 5, 19, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
This doesn't mean yours is unlocked unless it was purchased recently. S7 is a model that is a few years old and I don't know how long Verizon has been selling unlocked phones although this article suggests it has been a while
All of Verizon's 4G LTE phones are unlocked. It was a condition imposed in 2007 by the FCC on Verizon when it purchased the spectrum that was needed to run its 4G LTE network. Recently, the FCC permitted Verizon to lock newly purchased phones for 60 days after which the phones will automatically unlock.
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 5, 19, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a cheap Tmobile plan, and find the data in Asia to be ok for checking things when Iím out of the hotel. Itís been a very long time since I had to buy a SIM when visiting a country.
Old Oct 6, 19, 3:33 am

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
A local sim in Vietnam with unlimited (?) 4G data is like $3 for a week. There are several booths at Saigon airport right after customs, shop around - their prices might vary by $1 or so

Search this Thread