Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Internet access question in SEA (Southeast Asia)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Internet access question in SEA (Southeast Asia)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
when I visited SEA (Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia) I found it very easy to just buy a new SIM in each country. They were readily available at airports, or in corner stores. Way cheaper than using the international roaming from my home plan. Used it for google maps all over the place and it was super convenient. you can also operate without a SIM card pretty effectively if you just jump between WiFi hot spots at hotels and restaurants. That doesn't work for maps directions on the fly, but is good for most other data needs.

It's also a good idea to get WhatsApp if you plan to make any phone calls but have a data-only SIM.

If your phone is a couple of years old, just verify first that it is indeed unlocked. I had to pay $50 to get mine unlocked.
Prices there are also great if you want to just buy a phone there.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by TWA884
All of Verizon's 4G LTE phones are unlocked. It was a condition imposed in 2007 by the FCC on Verizon when it purchased the spectrum that was needed to run its 4G LTE network. Recently, the FCC permitted Verizon to lock newly purchased phones for 60 days after which the phones will automatically unlock.
Thanks, didn't know that - but it makes sense b/c tmo won't unlock for 60ish days even if I pay full price whereas they used to unlock right away if you were going out of the country so I guess they can do the same as verizon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.