Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AT&T-specific eSIM activation & usage (US & Intl) experience

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

AT&T-specific eSIM activation & usage (US & Intl) experience

Given my experience at my AT&T store today, I thought I would start this topic in hopes of saving others' time and preparing them for what's they might hear at their AT&T store.

There is a broadly-scope topic on eSIMs here.
I have found narrow scoped topics on Flyertalk to be so much more helpful as well as faster & easier to learn from than broadly scoped topics.

=== Specific purpose of this related topic:

1) AT&T-specific eSIM activation experience
Share first-hand experience or educated speculation about AT&T's eSIM activation process

2) When overseas: Physical SIM activation international use combined with simultaneous activation of eSIM for AT&T
i.e., Share first-hand experience or educated speculation about AT&T's eSIM activation process when in an international carrier's store.

Because my local ATT store's Apple Expert said this (2) was a thing... i.e., another way to get the eSIM dedicated and activated for AT&T.

But... would I want to wait to activate the eSIM when overseas? Of course not. I wanted to do it today.
When I'm across the pond I have a million things to do. Last thing I'd want to do is stand in line for at least 30 min or more while this happens.
Moreover, the first time this ATT expert tried it, the activation failed. He had to attempt it twice.
Would an Intl carrier store customer rep know what to do like he did if eSIM failed at first? Too much risk of lots of time wasted.

Am interested in hearing your experiences related to 2):
Specifically: How well does this config work: non-US, non-AT&T physical SIM from country X + ATT eSIM?

What is the activation process like in an international phone / carrier retail store if you go
To: an international, NON-AT&T carrier SIM + a newly active AT&T eSIM.

=== Today's activation experience with my iPhone 11 Pro Max at my local AT&T store:

It went much differently than expected based on 45 min of reading advice, ATT forums, and others' experiences.

Me: "Hello, I need to activate my new phone's eSIM.
This iPhone 11 is the new phone with no physical SIM.
This old phone has the AT&T SIM with the phone # I want to transfer & activate on the new phone's eSIM."

ATT Apple Expert: "It's not possible to do that."

[...]

To make the e-SIM in your new phone active, I need a completely different phone's SIM card with a different phone # to put into the new phone when I activate its eSIM."

In my case, because I already carry 2 phones, this was not a show stopper.

1 line for work, 1 line for play / personal / family
So I simply took my second phone out of my purse and gave him that phone #'s SIM card.

That worked!
He successfully activated the eSIM on my new iPhone 11 to my work phone # when my personal phone #'d physical SIM was in the new phone's SIM slot.
After activation, I removed my personal phone's physical SIM from my new phone.

Tested the new work phone to make sure it showed as dialing from my work phone #. Check.
Tested my old personal phone to make sure it was using my personal phone #. Check.

Net: Based on my experience today, AT&T can't activate an eSIM without the physical SIM from a different phone line in the physical SIM slot. YMMV of course :-).

You need to either have or borrow (from your spouse? a friend? ) a second phone / SIM card and bring it with you bring in to the ATT store for eSIM activation.

FYI: In iTunes just did first backup of new phone. eSIM number showed up as "Phone Number 2"

DONE!
Work phone on the right with eSIM activated to AT&T. No physical SIM. iPhone 11 Pro Max, midnight green. Reminds me of sea glass
Play phone on the left with AT&T physical SIM. eSIM not activated. iPhone 10 SX Max, in last year's iridescent gold.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 9:45 am

I had AT&T move my line from a nano SIM to the eSIM on my iPhone 11 Pro Max yesterday. There seems to be a training issue or confusion on the part of the in store staff. One staff member initially said it wasn’t possible, but looked it up and confirmed it should work. The eSIM activation was completed with no physical SIM installed.

it may have been different than your experience since I had the same number already on the phone previously via physical SIM though.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 4:50 pm

The Pixel 3a also supports esims; I think several at once.

Found a provider (Airalo) that runs on ATT towers with very good data rates here in US.
Its data only but supports text and voice thru Google Voice, WhatsApp, etc.

Dozens more here... esimdb.com
Old Dec 28, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
But to confirm, before you can insert a non-AT&T sim overseas, you have to get AT&T to unlock your phone, correct? iPhones are sold locked to the carrier when purchased with a payment plan in the USA....
Old Dec 28, 2019, 6:15 pm

I was speaking about the ‘new’ ESIM option,
nothing to insert. Just download one or several to get your choice of carriers.

I think more and more US phones are unlockable
after request to carrier, but not sure.
My Pixel 3a came from Google unlocked.

Last edited by bukzin; Dec 29, 2019 at 12:05 pm
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:49 am

I buy my iPhones at the Apple Store without a payment plan and it comes unlocked. I have AT&T as my carrier of choice, but since my phone is unlocked from the time I purchase, I can use any carrier.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by bukzin
The Pixel 3a also supports esims; I think several at once.

Found a provider (Airalo) that runs on ATT towers with very good data rates here in US.
Its data only but supports text and voice thru Google Voice, WhatsApp, etc.

Dozens more here... esimdb.com
Airalo no longer uses AT&T service. They have switched to T-Mobile. This occurred some time in December as I recall.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 6:37 am

I have ATT global unlimited data on an ESIM and have foreign prepaid SIMs and/or a roaming SIM in the physical SIM slot. It works fine. I purchased my phone unlocked from Apple. My only complaint is that Apple remember the last SIM card I used to dial a number which is helpful but sometimes hard to override.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I have ATT global unlimited data on an ESIM and have foreign prepaid SIMs and/or a roaming SIM in the physical SIM slot. It works fine. I purchased my phone unlocked from Apple. My only complaint is that Apple remember the last SIM card I used to dial a number which is helpful but sometimes hard to override.
Which plan do you have with ATT on your esim? Is it still available?
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:51 pm

IPhone International data package for $69.95 a month. It doesn’t include voice or text. The program was “ring fenced” in 2013. I have been able to maintain it but no new plans are permitted.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
IPhone International data package for $69.95 a month. It doesn’t include voice or text. The program was “ring fenced” in 2013. I have been able to maintain it but no new plans are permitted.
Any idea of how much data you use per month?

I am using Google Fi and really like it for international.
Old May 1, 2020, 5:05 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Purchased a new iPhone SE (with eSIM.) Called ATT with my old phone with my physical ATT SIM installed. Gave them a bunch of numbers (IMEI, EID, etc) from my new SE. SE had a Japanese SIM installed. Took a bit of time, but they were able to remotely add the eSIM to the new phone. No need to enter any numbers or use a QR code. Just turned the SE off and when I turned it back on the ATT eSIM was installed.
Old May 2, 2020, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I also had no trouble switching to eSIM when I got a new (unlocked) iPhone. Took them both to the AT&T store, whole process probably took 15 minutes. Put a Google Fi SIM in the physical slot which I use while traveling unless I swap it out for a local SIM. With limited eSIM adoption so far this configuration has been best since I’m guaranteed I can always have my main AT&T line plus a local plan.
Old May 3, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I also had no trouble switching to eSIM when I got a new (unlocked) iPhone. Took them both to the AT&T store, whole process probably took 15 minutes. Put a Google Fi SIM in the physical slot which I use while traveling unless I swap it out for a local SIM. With limited eSIM adoption so far this configuration has been best since I’m guaranteed I can always have my main AT&T line plus a local plan.
eSIMS’s are becoming more available / popular. I use Airalo which seem to have a lot of both US and international
versions with better data rates.

I’m guessing SIM cards will fade away, since we now can choose data packages and carriers with ease.
Old May 3, 2020, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bukzin
eSIMS’s are becoming more available / popular. I use Airalo which seem to have a lot of both US and international
versions with better data rates.

I’m guessing SIM cards will fade away, since we now can choose data packages and carriers with ease.
One day soon I’m sure the scales will tip. But until then, traveling to smaller countries off the beaten path has meant leaving the physical slot available for local SIMs is the better play for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.