Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple Credit Card & Magstripes

Old Sep 5, 19, 11:27 am
Original Poster

If I have to do a magstripe transaction with an Apple Card, can that information be used to do an online transaction with my info? I'm thinking of using it at the pump because I know I am in the greatest danger of being skimmed there, but trying to assess my real world vulnerability. Most systems who have implemented EMV will decline a swipe when their records say the card should have a chip.
Old Sep 5, 19, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, magstripes are easily cloned. I don't know if the Apple card would act differently than another card, but you are not liable for fraudulent charges so does it much matter? Aside from the hassle of having to get a new card, I guess.

When I get gas I usually pull on the card reader housing to see if it comes loose. But I've never had a problem...
Old Sep 5, 19, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
If the online store doesn't bother with address or CVV2 checking, it might be. (Amazon in particular doesn't do the latter for US users but might do the former.) However, GS does have the ability to decline all CNP usage of the card info on the chip or magstripe, and if they do that I wouldn't be worried.

That all said, I'd consider going inside to pay for gas, if only to potentially get the 2% back for Apple Pay use.
Old Sep 6, 19, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu View Post
Most systems who have implemented EMV will decline a swipe when their records say the card should have a chip.
I've never had a gas pump reject my card because it has a chip. And I've never seen a reader at a pump that reads a chip.

Is this abnormal?
Old Sep 6, 19, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL
I bit of a different twist. I uased my AC to book travel on DL and the agent said I'd need to show the card at checkin since it is the first time I used it. I am waiting to see what transpires when I hand them a card with no numbers on it.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I've never had a gas pump reject my card because it has a chip. And I've never seen a reader at a pump that reads a chip.

Is this abnormal?
Considering that almost no pumps even have working chip readers on them (the major exceptions are Kroger, Safeway and Speedway that I know of), I'd say that's expected. However, if the card reader is horizontal, there's a good chance that it at least has the needed hardware and is just waiting for the needed software.
Old Sep 6, 19, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Considering that almost no pumps even have working chip readers on them (the major exceptions are Kroger, Safeway and Speedway that I know of), I'd say that's expected. However, if the card reader is horizontal, there's a good chance that it at least has the needed hardware and is just waiting for the needed software.
There's more and more of them that do. I've seen Kangaroo and Sheetz stations (in the RDU area) that have the new ones. Some also support Apple Pay (and I suppose other NFC payments) which is even better.
Old Sep 6, 19, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
There's more and more of them that do. I've seen Kangaroo and Sheetz stations (in the RDU area) that have the new ones. Some also support Apple Pay (and I suppose other NFC payments) which is even better.
Hardware, sure, but the vast majority of those don't have the software needed to enable reading the chip. If anything, Apple Pay support is actually more common.

(Unfortunately, I don't have Kangaroo or Sheetz here so I can't comment on them.)
Old Sep 6, 19, 7:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
And I've never seen a reader at a pump that reads a chip.
You'll start to see this change over the next year... Maybe...

The reason chip readers at other merchants became popular quickly is that the credit card companies implemented a "liability shift" in October of 2015, which basically means that if there is fraud, and the merchant was using a non-chip terminal, then the merchant is liable - where previously they were not. (As you'd expect the full truth is more complex, but that's a near enough approximation).

This shift occurred at basically all merchants - with the exception of "Automatic Fuel Dispensers". ie, gas pumps. These were given an extension until 2017, and then subsequently to October 2020, due to the complexity of replacing their readers.

Some pay-at-the-pump locations do have chip (my local Safeway and Mobil do - both of them relatively new stations), but as you've said the majority still do not - but barring yet another extension there should be an up-tick in the number with them over the next year as we get closer to the October 2020 date.
Old Sep 13, 19, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert View Post
Some pay-at-the-pump locations do have chip (my local Safeway and Mobil do - both of them relatively new stations), but as you've said the majority still do not - but barring yet another extension there should be an up-tick in the number with them over the next year as we get closer to the October 2020 date.
The question is how many will actually make the 2020 deadline. I remember it taking a couple of years after the 2015 liability shift before chip at regular stores was at least somewhat common, for instance, and even now I still read people's posts online claiming that there are a lot of places still swiping. I wouldn't be surprised if only a couple of brands have it enabled brand-wide in time (possibilities based on what I've seen around here hardware-wise include Costco, Shell, Mobil and Arco; the others still have a significant number of locations without the needed hardware).
Old Sep 13, 19, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
The question is how many will actually make the 2020 deadline. I remember it taking a couple of years after the 2015 liability shift before chip at regular stores was at least somewhat common, for instance, and even now I still read people's posts online claiming that there are a lot of places still swiping. I wouldn't be surprised if only a couple of brands have it enabled brand-wide in time (possibilities based on what I've seen around here hardware-wise include Costco, Shell, Mobil and Arco; the others still have a significant number of locations without the needed hardware).
Owning a small business which takes cards, the reason why retailers were slow to change concerned the availability of machines. We used Vantiv at the time (now part of Worldpay), which was one of the largest merchant processors. They only had one machine capable of taking chips, and that only became available two weeks before the deadline - making it next to impossible to order and install the machines and be confident they worked before the deadline. This was, of course, gross incompetence on the part of the merchant processors since the machines required were in common use everywhere else in the world, and had been for over 10 years. And, as a PS, the machine that did become available was an old model machine which didn't support contactless - presumably old stock from Europe which has pretty well entirely shifted to contactless.
Old Sep 13, 19, 8:59 am

That all said, I'd consider going inside to pay for gas, if only to potentially get the 2% back for Apple Pay use.
This is FlyerTalk! Only 2% back for gas? You're doing it wrong. Off the top of my head, Costco Visa is 4% gas, Sam's Club 5% on gas. I'm sure there's others.
Old Sep 13, 19, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo View Post
Owning a small business which takes cards, the reason why retailers were slow to change concerned the availability of machines. We used Vantiv at the time (now part of Worldpay), which was one of the largest merchant processors. They only had one machine capable of taking chips, and that only became available two weeks before the deadline - making it next to impossible to order and install the machines and be confident they worked before the deadline. This was, of course, gross incompetence on the part of the merchant processors since the machines required were in common use everywhere else in the world, and had been for over 10 years. And, as a PS, the machine that did become available was an old model machine which didn't support contactless - presumably old stock from Europe which has pretty well entirely shifted to contactless.
There were definitely a lot of issues. I've come around to the idea that the 2015 liability shift should have been pushed back a year or two (even if the card networks did announce it back in 2013 or so). If it were, I imagine the first software available would have been a lot better and chip wouldn't have gotten nearly the bad reputation that it did. Plus, with a lot more places having it working from the start, there'd have been less awkwardness around where to insert vs. where to swipe.

In fact, that might have been what they were thinking when the gas pump liability shift was pushed back to 2020--to try to avoid a repeat of the issues that happened during the initial migration.

Originally Posted by KRSW View Post
This is FlyerTalk! Only 2% back for gas? You're doing it wrong. Off the top of my head, Costco Visa is 4% gas, Sam's Club 5% on gas. I'm sure there's others.
For sure you can do better. But if you're in the target audience for Apple Card (as in, someone unlikely to want to bother juggling cards to maximize rewards), 2% is pretty good.

Search this Thread