FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Android camscanner sending malware (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1985537-android-camscanner-sending-malware.html)

trueblu Sep 1, 2019 8:37 pm

Android camscanner sending malware

I'm a pretty conservative app user: I don't have dozens of games on my phone, and don't follow what trendy or trending. But camscanner has been a lifesaver for me on multiple occasions, and seemed to be an app from a trusted source. Therefore colour me surprised (and worried) when I read on the BBC that apparently the ad part of the software had been potentially sending out malicious code.

I've deleted the app for now, but what's the best way that I can check whether my phone's been compromised? And what (free) app would people recommend to replace with?

thanks,

tb

StuckInYYZ Sep 2, 2019 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 31480939)
I've deleted the app for now, but what's the best way that I can check whether my phone's been compromised? And what (free) app would people recommend to replace with?

thanks,

tb

Can't help with a cam scanner app, but pick an anti-malware app from a trusted vendor in your app store to scan your phone. For example, McAfee or Symantec. Just be aware of where it comes from.

Pollard Kevin Sep 4, 2019 8:56 am

Install AVG it will keep your device secure, also use Tiny Scanner its the best alternative

kennycrudup Sep 7, 2019 7:39 pm

Camscammer, amirite?!

joshwex90 Sep 8, 2019 1:47 am

Security apps to keep your phone safe:
  1. Sophos Mobile Security - IMO, best option out there
  2. AVG AntiVirus Free & Mobile Security, Photo Vault or Avast Antivirus - Scan & Remove Virus, Cleaner - note that both are from the same company. Decent protection BUT unless you pay for the premium (non ad-supported) version, the ads (especially asking you to pay for premium) are all over. They also throw in so many extras that are really not necessary, or even good, such as the "battery optimizer" or "task killer." Don't utilize anything except the actual anti-virus. And not worth paying for the VPN - get a standalone VPN, such as Nord or Express instead
  3. Mobile Security: VPN Proxy & Anti Theft Safe WiFi or Norton Mobile Security and Antivirus - if you anyways are using one of these with a subscription, then they are a decent option. Otherwise, they're pretty heavy for your phone when you have decent options for free
Apps to scan documents
  1. If you are anyways using Microsoft OneDrive, then there's a built-in scanner that will scan directly to your OneDrive
  2. If you are anyways using Google Drive, then there's a built-in scanner that will scan directly to your Google Drive
  3. Adobe Scan: PDF & Business Card Scanner with OCR - I haven't used it yet, but this seems like a good option. I too deleted CamScanner last week, but so far have relied exclusively on OneDrive, but may end up downloading Adobe as well when I want to scan something that I need to send, not necessarily save to my own personal files

Silver Fox Sep 8, 2019 2:17 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90 (Post 31502717)
Security apps to keep your phone safe:
  1. Sophos Mobile Security - IMO, best option out there
  2. AVG AntiVirus Free & Mobile Security, Photo Vault or Avast Antivirus - Scan & Remove Virus, Cleaner - note that both are from the same company. Decent protection BUT unless you pay for the premium (non ad-supported) version, the ads (especially asking you to pay for premium) are all over. They also throw in so many extras that are really not necessary, or even good, such as the "battery optimizer" or "task killer." Don't utilize anything except the actual anti-virus. And not worth paying for the VPN - get a standalone VPN, such as Nord or Express instead
  3. Mobile Security: VPN Proxy & Anti Theft Safe WiFi or Norton Mobile Security and Antivirus - if you anyways are using one of these with a subscription, then they are a decent option. Otherwise, they're pretty heavy for your phone when you have decent options for free
Apps to scan documents
  1. If you are anyways using Microsoft OneDrive, then there's a built-in scanner that will scan directly to your OneDrive
  2. If you are anyways using Google Drive, then there's a built-in scanner that will scan directly to your Google Drive
  3. Adobe Scan: PDF & Business Card Scanner with OCR - I haven't used it yet, but this seems like a good option. I too deleted CamScanner last week, but so far have relied exclusively on OneDrive, but may end up downloading Adobe as well when I want to scan something that I need to send, not necessarily save to my own personal files

And I think that the Google Drive scanner has improved as I had a lot of issues with blurring, and also just deciding to save something different to what I had captured and had been displayed to me by their scan app when I clicked the check mark/tick to save it. That doesn't seem to have happened of late. Now Sod's Law says that it will !

trueblu Sep 10, 2019 1:46 am

Thanks for the tips.

I have google drive: I don't use it much. But I can't find a scan option when I click on the app...what am I missing?

OK, idiocy over: just need to click on the "+" button...

tb

Silver Fox Sep 10, 2019 3:29 am

Originally Posted by trueblu (Post 31509216)
Thanks for the tips.

I have google drive: I don't use it much. But I can't find a scan option when I click on the app...what am I missing?

OK, idiocy over: just need to click on the "+" button...

tb

Don't worry, I miss that all the time ! :)