Wiki Posts
Search

Phone NFC to open doors?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Phone NFC to open doors?

It would be super convenient if I could use my iPhone's NFC chip to impersonate my work proxy card, so I don't need to carry my wallet (or fish the card out of it) to go between floors. Is this sort of thing at all possible?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: *G
I imagine NFC devices have hardcoded IDs to prevent spoofing.

That said, why don't you just sandwich the card between the back of the phone and its case?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

That's actually a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?

Proxy cards don't do any crypto. They just send their static serial number to the door reader (well, the reader induces a current in the antenna embedded into the card, which is enough to power a tiny chip that sends its serial number). Actually, I think they send a facility number (1-256) and a serial number (1-65536). The computer running the thing then determines if that serial number is authorized to access the door. So you need is to get the phone's NFC chip to send the correct facility and serial numbers.

I don't know if NFC on the phone uses the same frequencies as door proxy cards, though.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:36 pm

fwiw I've tried this and it doesn't work. It's like NFC from the iPhone interferes.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Proxy cards don't do any crypto. They just send their static serial number to the door reader (well, the reader induces a current in the antenna embedded into the card, which is enough to power a tiny chip that sends its serial number). Actually, I think they send a facility number (1-256) and a serial number (1-65536). The computer running the thing then determines if that serial number is authorized to access the door. So you need is to get the phone's NFC chip to send the correct facility and serial numbers.
Nitpickery I got from one of our devs recently: for unsigned integers, it would actually be 0-255 and 0-65535 (assuming 8 and 16 bit).
gfunkdave likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 10:54 pm

Some cars allow you to use NFC in place of the keys.

As far as proximity card readers, they're on a completely different frequency than NFC. Depending on what sort of prox card system is in place, you can clone it to a new card.

Now, you can use an NFC-enabled phone to skim contactless credit cards... but that's a whole other discussion.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:30 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by KRSW
Now, you can use an NFC-enabled phone to skim contactless credit cards... but that's a whole other discussion.
But not the CCV...
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD

Nitpickery I got from one of our devs recently: for unsigned integers, it would actually be 0-255 and 0-65535 (assuming 8 and 16 bit).
I majored in computer science and still don't really understand how signed/unsigned integers work. I also never really got P/NP/NP-completeness.

I did put my proxy card sandwiched in my phone case behind the phone, and it works just fine. Thanks for the idea!
synthkeys likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
But not the CCV...
...which is conveniently printed on the back/front of the card and available for anyone who touches your card, which is very common in the USA. Servers, front desk agents, etc.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Phone NFC to open hotel doors has definitely become more common in some parts. But I've also noticed how some hotels that used to provide my wifi-connected phones with mobile phone keys are no longer doing so unless I first enable the phone's cellular network. I haven't cared to look into what caused the changed requirement at some hotels to get mobile phone/NFC keys on my iOS devices, but something definitely changed on the hotel side in some parts.

I have to assume there are some offices that have mobile phone keys using NFC even as there are some employers who would prefer not to have phone NFC as an option for employees to unlock doors.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Phone NFC to open hotel doors has definitely become more common in some parts. But I've also noticed how some hotels that used to provide my wifi-connected phones with mobile phone keys are no longer doing so unless I first enable the phone's cellular network. I haven't cared to look into what caused the changed requirement at some hotels to get mobile phone/NFC keys on my iOS devices, but something definitely changed on the hotel side in some parts.

I have to assume there are some offices that have mobile phone keys using NFC even as there are some employers who would prefer not to have phone NFC as an option for employees to unlock doors.
Hotel doors actually use Bluetooth LE, not NFC. Perhaps it's not so much you have to enable the cellular function as that you have to enable Bluetooth - both are off in airplane mode.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Hotel doors actually use Bluetooth LE, not NFC. Perhaps it's not so much you have to enable the cellular function as that you have to enable Bluetooth - both are off in airplane mode.
Yes, my bad about that.

Bluetooth can be enabled with airplane mode still on. That is how I used to use the mobile phone keys at some hotels without issue but no longer could this month.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I don't know if NFC on the phone uses the same frequencies as door proxy cards, though.
NFC on phones/credit/some door access cards is 13.56MHz, while many other door access cards are in the 100ish kilohertz range. Definitely not compatible depending on what system you're using.
gfunkdave and D582 like this.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:33 am

A lot of work badges these days contain smart cards with some form cryptography. I know mine does. I don't know whether it's PKI or something else, but I am 99.9% certain that it can't be replicated or spoofed by the phone's NFC even if they operate on the same frequency. In most of these cards, the encryption algorithm (generator) is hardwired into the chip.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:40 am

Duplicate post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.