FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Way to transfer non-Apple songs on iPhone? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1983141-way-transfer-non-apple-songs-iphone.html)

wharvey Aug 15, 2019 1:40 pm

Way to transfer non-Apple songs on iPhone?

The hubby just bought a new iPhone XS Max to replace his iPhone 6SPlus. He will be giving the old phone to his brother when he travels to Colombia next week.

Last night, he tried to back up the old phone to iTunes before uploading all the music to the new phone. He found that non-Apple purchased music was not downloading to iTunes. These are songs on original CDs we purchased.

According to the Apple store, that is a limitation of iTunes, will not back up non-Apple purchased music.

Does anyone know any easy way to get that music onto iTunes and then to the new phone? Easily for the technology challenged.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

gfunkdave Aug 15, 2019 2:16 pm

How did you get this music on the phone in the first place? If you ripped it into iTunes it will be in your iTunes library and you can re-sync it.

wharvey Aug 15, 2019 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 31420374)
How did you get this music on the phone in the first place? If you ripped it into iTunes it will be in your iTunes library and you can re-sync it.

‘I thought that was what he did originally... but currently the songs are not showing up in iTunes... but they are on the old phone. Somehow he lost them on iTunes... think it may have happened when he got the MacBook to replace his Dell.

Does not help that he rarely syncs... first time in 18 months!

gfunkdave Aug 15, 2019 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 31420393)

‘I thought that was what he did originally... but currently the songs are not showing up in iTunes... but they are on the old phone. Somehow he lost them on iTunes... think it may have happened when he got the MacBook to replace his Dell.

Does not help that he rarely syncs... first time in 18 months!

Did you try syncing the old phone to iTunes first?

edit: make sure Apple Music is turned off on the old phone first, if it's on.

wharvey Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 31420399)
Did you try syncing the old phone to iTunes first?

edit: make sure Apple Music is turned off on the old phone first, if it's on.

‘Yes, we tried last night. It will no longer transfer non-Apple purchased music. According to Apple store, iTunes was updated last year and no longer transfers files for non-Apple music.

we do not subscribe to Apple Music.

gfunkdave Aug 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 31420435)

‘Yes, we tried last night. It will no longer transfer non-Apple purchased music. According to Apple store, iTunes was updated last year and no longer transfers files for non-Apple music.

we do not subscribe to Apple Music.

That doesn't make any sense, sounds like a cop out. I haven't synced music to iTunes in ages so I don't think I'm much help, sorry.

wharvey Aug 15, 2019 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 31420449)
That doesn't make any sense, sounds like a cop out. I haven't synced music to iTunes in ages so I don't think I'm much help, sorry.

As I said originally, the songs are on the old phone but no longer show on the Mac iTunes. They “disappeared” somehow. So frustrating.

Need Aug 15, 2019 3:02 pm

There used to be a program on the PC that you could extract songs from you iPhone to the PC. Once you did that you could just resync them to the new phone with iTunes. I think it was called MediaMonkey.

Dave510 Aug 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Waltr and iMazing can both do it. I've been using iMazing and can vouch for it.