Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bringing external batteries/powerpacks to Egypt?

Old Aug 15, 19, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold

We will be traveling to Zurich on LX, to Cairo on Alitalia, inter-Egyptian flights on EgyptAir, transiting through AMM from CAI to DOH on Royal Jordanian, and home to the US from DOH on Qatar. I have been reading that some airlines will not allow external batteries/powerbanks that I expect will be essential to keeping my phone and camera charged during our 15 day trip. I always have at least one powerbank on me at all times here at home.

I can't find anything specific on the airlines' websites that we will be traveling on about guidelines for powerbanks/external batteries. Has anyone heard of any of these airlines making you relinquish your powerbanks?
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:41 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
There are a few threads in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum discussing traveling with batteries and/or power packs. Those are generally not allowed in checked luggage. There are also capacity limitations.

Here is a link to a relevant thread:
Traveling with lithium batteries
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There SHOULD be no problem out of Egypt BUT unless flying in/out of Cairo and Sharm, be prepared for any member of the Police (not so much the military) to try and "confiscate" your powerbanks, or flashlights, or even phones that they do not recognize..........supposedly for safety reasons, but in reality it is just theft. Hurghada and especially Alexandria (Borg) are notorious for these shenanigans....... Luxor not so bad.
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:12 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec
Originally Posted by hfly View Post
There SHOULD be no problem out of Egypt BUT unless flying in/out of Cairo and Sharm, be prepared for any member of the Police (not so much the military) to try and "confiscate" your powerbanks, or flashlights, or even phones that they do not recognize..........supposedly for safety reasons, but in reality it is just theft. Hurghada and especially Alexandria (Borg) are notorious for these shenanigans....... Luxor not so bad.
So what's the solution if they try to take your phone?
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
OMG really? We are flying into Cairo when we begin our trip, out of Cairo to Aswan, then from Hurghada to Cairo then out of Cairo at the end of our trip.

We are not checking bags so I don't have to worry about that - plus the external batteries would be in my personal item anyway so it is always close.

Now I have something else to worry about, but thank you for the heads up.
Old Aug 20, 19, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There are a few threads in the Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues forum discussing traveling with batteries and/or power packs. Those are generally not allowed in checked luggage. There are also capacity limitations.

Here is a link to a relevant thread:
Traveling with lithium batteries
Thank you!!
TWA884 likes this.

Search this Thread