Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 8, 19, 2:24 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Metanoia
Wiki Link
This list runs most extreme to least extreme. Airlines will appear once in the most restrictive category. Let's add links to the primary source if possible

Checked Baggage
Airlines with stated bans of affected 15" Macbook Pros in checked bags
Emirates
Thai
Singapore
Qantas
Virgin Australia

Onboard
Airlines that have stated bans of onboard possession of affected Macbook Pros
Thai
Singapore

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of ALL Apple Macbook Pros (can be carried but not used)
Qantas (likely to be all Apple laptops in practice, let's be honest)

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of affected Macbook Pros:
Emirates
United
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 13, 19, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoyed Platinum, AS MVPG. EK Gold, AMEX MR, Chase UR

Following a recall initiated by Apple, the Federal Aviation Administration has banned mid-2015 15-inch MacBook Pro models with faulty batteries from flights, reports Bloomberg.

Apple in June announced a voluntary recall and replacement program for 15-inch MacBook Pro models sold between September 2015 and February 2017 as these models may contain batteries that can overheat and pose a fire safety risk.
https://www.macrumors.com/2019/08/13...united-states/

Not sure if this belongs here or in Travel Safety, but nobody's posted it yet so here we are. I need a new laptop, now!!

In other news, Apple is about to get the same treatment as Samsung, with every pre-flight safety announcement saying "If you have an Apple Macbook Pro, please notify a crewmember..."

Last edited by Metanoia; Aug 13, 19 at 6:31 pm Reason: title cut off
Old Aug 13, 19, 9:29 pm

Programs: AC, Marriott
I have this model of MBP though my serial number is not in the affected range. I can't wait to have that verified at the gate.
Old Aug 13, 19, 11:03 pm

I have the same issue - MBP mid 2015, but not affected according to Apple.

I am on travel now, and have several upcoming flights, including a few more paranoid countries, to get back home. Sure hope I can convince them my laptop is safe. Will try to print out the Apple site page.

I am worried, however, that some airlines may find it easier to ban all 2015 MBP (or all MBP that look like a 2015 model), rather than go into minutae about which specific unit is recalled.

Would be interested to see what other's experience is in the coming days.
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tr3k View Post
I am worried, however, that some airlines may find it easier to ban all 2015 MBP (or all MBP that look like a 2015 model), rather than go into minutae about which specific unit is recalled.
It will mostly be the case.

FWIW - for safety reasons, FAA should ban all MBP matching this model, like the Note 7 ban.
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:46 am

Location: In theory near BHD or ABZ, but usually a hotel in another country
Programs: Seniors Bus Pass, BA Silver
For completeness and assistance of anybody concerned about any Apple product you can look up your product here to see if it is subject to any recall action:
https://support.apple.com/exchange_repair
Old Aug 14, 19, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by garykung View Post
It will mostly be the case.

FWIW - for safety reasons, FAA should ban all MBP matching this model, like the Note 7 ban.
Right, so I can never get home or travel for work again MBP 2015 models are not really replaceable with anything.
karenkay, GTITAN, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I have the affected laptop and already had the battery replaced. Iím traveling Friday....look forward to having TSA check my serial number and the repair history as I go through.

seriously, though: do you think Iím going to have a problem getting home with my computer on Friday?
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
I'm going to print out the Apple page and carry it with me tomorrow. I doubt CATSA in YYZ will check, but getting home might be an issue.
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Yeah I am typing with a Macbook pro listed as a problem. The fix time is two weeks which is a lonnnnnnnng time to go out without the laptop. If anyone is dealing with this has actual experience with how this will be enforced, hope they respond to this thread.

Safe Travels
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:00 am

I honestly don't know how they're likely to check for this (I don't think it would be a TSA thing, this is more an airline issue). But the odds of gate agents or flight attendants being able to identify models that fall into this category - even being able to identify that it's a mid-2015 macbook pro is laughable.
Old Aug 14, 19, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by GTITAN View Post
Yeah I am typing with a Macbook pro listed as a problem. The fix time is two weeks which is a lonnnnnnnng time to go out without the laptop. If anyone is dealing with this has actual experience with how this will be enforced, hope they respond to this thread.

Safe Travels
as a data point on the repair, it didn't take anywhere near that for them to fix mine, and I had to mail it in--I live in a small town without an apple store. I think I was without it for a week, all in. I shipped it off to them (in a box they mailed with big letters stating GROUND TRANSPORTATION ONLY, DEFECTIVE BATTERY) and they shipped it back--it was sent to houston for the repair, fwiw.

I'm traveling home Friday, and I can't very well leave my computer behind, so I'm also eager for anyone with real world experience with this. since mine is fixed, theoretically, hopefully it'll be okay. according to the article, computers with replaced batteries won't be affected. we'll see.
GTITAN likes this.

Last edited by karenkay; Aug 14, 19 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 14, 19, 11:15 am

It would help if Apple site message was a little more clear. As it stands, it's not easy to deduce that my computer is OK as it requires parsing out a double negative and an OR condition, clearly written by their cya lawyers.

I'd gladly replace this laptop, of course, as soon as Apple has another mbp model with a physical Esc key. Until then - 2015 it is.
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 14, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver
How legit is this? I can't find anything about this on the FAA site, social media, or airline sites.

Mine is one with the 'faulty' battery but I'm not keen on losing it several days as this is my business laptop. I need it on a daily base and simply can't miss it. Why would there also be any problem after 4 years of almost continuous, and intensive use.

I do have a trip planned to the US in 30 days, on which I need my laptop. Perhaps I will see my Apple dealer this week to inform about time needed but if it takes too long, too bad.

I really can't imagine having individual checks on laptops on the airport.

EASA, the European counterpart of the FAA, had already an item about this since August 1st, but they don't talk about a ban, just "If such a device is taken on board, the passenger is required to keep it switched off and not use or charge the device.".
Old Aug 14, 19, 2:10 pm

Wording of all the articles is a bit strange. Almost like Bloomberg pushed the idea, and FAA responded with a canned reply. I also can't find a categorical FAA statement anywhere, except for the Bloomberg quote. I wonder...
Old Aug 14, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: Skywards
My dad was flying from Dublin (Ireland) to Glasgow (Scotland) earlier today and an announcement was made re the Macbook Pro.

Search this Thread