Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Metanoia
This list runs most extreme to least extreme. Airlines will appear once in the most restrictive category. Let's add links to the primary source if possible

Checked Baggage
Airlines with stated bans of affected 15" Macbook Pros in checked bags
Emirates
Thai
Singapore
Qantas
Virgin Australia

Onboard
Airlines that have stated bans of onboard possession of affected Macbook Pros
Thai
Singapore

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of ALL Apple Macbook Pros (can be carried but not used)
Qantas (likely to be all Apple laptops in practice, let's be honest)

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of affected Macbook Pros:
Emirates
United
Print Wikipost

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by tr3k
Right, so I can never get home or travel for work again MBP 2015 models are not really replaceable with anything.
I feel your pain. But if you have to blame someone, blame Apple.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you do an 'About This Mac', it will show the model and year - mine shows "Macbook Pro (15 Inch Late 2016). FWIW I had my battery replaced during their prior keyboard fiasco because replacing the keyboard requires replacing the battery. The 2016 and 2015 models look exactly the same - but absent an official ban by an airline or government agency, I doubt there is anything they can do to stop you from bringing it onboard, it's not like the gate agent is going to look into everyone's bag and inspect the contents. With Precheck, you're not taking the laptop out of the bag, so TSA won't see it either.

The only possible issue I can see is bringing it out during the flight for use and having some looney tune flight attendant start shrieking about it. I don't think the Samsung Note ban was ever effective, I am sure thousands of those phones were flying during the ban, just concealed in owners' bags.
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
My dad was flying from Dublin (Ireland) to Glasgow (Scotland) earlier today and an announcement was made re the Macbook Pro.

Do you know what the announcement said? Any specifics would be great.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
EU bulletin recommending bans by airlines https://www.easa.europa.eu/newsroom-...ble-electronic
and https://ad.easa.europa.eu/ad/2017-01

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...-from-flights/

Flying in a few hours with a 2015 model than is not affected (as per apple) will post any updates if/when they happen
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Here's the FAA tweet -

How are they going to enforce this I don't know. Will check-in & gate agents look up SN# for everyone checking in with a Macbook? And then leave those pax behind?
Old Aug 15, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
No, They will work to "failsafe" and just ban the lot!
Old Aug 15, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Insightful comment from Hacker News:
[The ban] will probably be quite effective. Travelers will see these articles, and airlines will probably send out reminders to people not to bring these machines on the plane. Most people with them will get them fixed or leave them at home, and the risk is greatly diminished.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=20691501
Old Aug 15, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
2 UA flights today, no mention of the ban
karenkay, GTITAN and tr3k like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 4:46 pm

Will the airline be required to hold your Macbook until you return ? Or FedEX it back to you ?

99% of the flyers are not going to see this thread and could be caught out !
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by tr3k

Do you know what the announcement said? Any specifics would be great.
The captain made the announcement that if anyone has a Macbook Pro not to switch it on in-flight
karenkay, KRSW and tr3k like this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by S c 0 TT y
The captain made the announcement that if anyone has a Macbook Pro not to switch it on in-flight
oh! that's quite different from 'we won't allow you to fly with it.'
I'm still hoping to be flying home today with my affected (repaired) MacBook Pro, and I don't intend to take it out during the flight--or cop to having one if anyone asks.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:09 pm

Flew DL today from ATL-PDX with a non-affected mid-2015 model. No mention of the ban at the gate or on the plane. Will see if anything is said on my AS flights next week.
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 11:11 pm

If Apple wasn't so anti-consumer, this would be a non-issue. On our office-issued Lenovo Thinkpads, popping a defective battery out of the machine involves pushing a single slide. With the 2009 MBP I'm typing this on, it's just a matter of unscrewing the back, using a special screwdriver to remove the battery connector, and it comes right out. Simple. But nooooo.. Apple won't allow that with the new ones where they glue the batteries in.

Being able to field-swap parts in the field is why I've clung to this 2009 MBP and my Samsung Note 4, both which can be fully disassembled and repaired in the field with a screwdriver set. It's also why this MBP is getting replaced with a Thinkpad later this year.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KRSW
If Apple wasn't so anti-consumer, this would be a non-issue.
While I agree that Apple is so anti-consumer, but you can't really blame Apple for putting the batter inside the MBP. At the minimum, Apple is not alone on this. Even Thankpad X1 has its battery installed inside the casing.

But yes - Apple's repair policy does make it difficult to fix the problem.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
data point: flew two domestic DL flights, no announcements about the MacBook Pro, no issue.
tr3k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.