Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Metanoia
This list runs most extreme to least extreme. Airlines will appear once in the most restrictive category. Let's add links to the primary source if possible

Checked Baggage
Airlines with stated bans of affected 15" Macbook Pros in checked bags
Emirates
Thai
Singapore
Qantas
Virgin Australia

Onboard
Airlines that have stated bans of onboard possession of affected Macbook Pros
Thai
Singapore

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of ALL Apple Macbook Pros (can be carried but not used)
Qantas (likely to be all Apple laptops in practice, let's be honest)

Airlines with stated onboard usage bans of affected Macbook Pros:
Emirates
United
Print Wikipost

Recalled 2015 15-Inch MacBook Pro Models With Faulty Batteries Banned From US Flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have one of these and I fly pretty much weekly these days. Next flights are next week again. I plan to print out the page on the apple site that says “in range but not affected” hopefully, at TSA pre that will help. Apple really needs to either do a battery replacement program for all models in this range and then produce some ONE COPY documentation that one can present to TSA or airline.

Or, replace units - but I’ve tried all units since and there’s a reason I still keep using this one. Maybe the 2019 model with new keyboard will be better.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 3:05 pm

My work laptop had the battery replaced. They gave the email receipt, which I suppose I need to now print out and carry when I fly.
Old Aug 18, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by JakiChan
My work laptop had the battery replaced. They gave the email receipt, which I suppose I need to now print out and carry when I fly.
Tape a copy to the underside of the machine, it might save some time!
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by garykung
While I agree that Apple is so anti-consumer, but you can't really blame Apple for putting the batter inside the MBP. At the minimum, Apple is not alone on this. Even Thankpad X1 has its battery installed inside the casing.

But yes - Apple's repair policy does make it difficult to fix the problem.
Lenovo has on-site service/repair, usually within 24 hours. Apple offers...?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KRSW
Nothing??
Old Aug 20, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by antichef
Tape a copy to the underside of the machine, it might save some time!
good tip. I think I’m going to laminate the important parts and stick it to the bottom.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by KRSW
Do it yourself instant repair:

1. full backup of your macbook, iphone etc
2. day 1, buy a brand new macbook, iphone, etc, then do a full restore and verify everything is working
3. day 2, take the broken unit in for repair
4. use the new unit for 7-10 days until the broken one is returned and ready for pickup
5. do a full backup of the new unit, pick up your repaired unit, do a full restore or just move over any changed files
6. return the new unit for a full refund
Old Aug 24, 2019, 2:02 pm

Several flights in a few countries, no mention of MBP.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 8:53 pm

Well, I made a genius appt for my 2015 MBP 15” that is in the range earlier this week.

Frankly, apple couldn’t have been LESS interested or have less of a plan for someone with an affected unit that online only says “it’s either been repaired for not subject to repair”. they said that my purchase date was 12/10/16, which it actually wan’t. This unit was from an earlier buyer, so there is no real record of the original purchase date that I have at least.

I mentioned my concern with the FAA ban and airlines ban, and that I travel 2-3 times a month and can’t really afford to have the unit denied flying. I’m currently traveling with a padded envelope that I would either put my unit in at an AirPort and I have printed out what IS online from the apple site, but I don’t find that the TSA would find that acceptable.

They asked me “well, have you been stopped” and I said of course no. And the apple rep said, well if they stop you just give them the Serial Number and they will be able to see that it isn’t an affected unit. To which I replied “are you serious, do you really think TSA is going to look at at unit and serial number and go online and review something”. I mean seriously, nobody is going to do that.

In the end they did nothing other than add a note to my record for this machine and print it out that says “this unit is not in the affected units”.

What I really think they should do, is open the units and confirm WHAT battery is in there, and or REPLACE the battery for free (they said I would have to pay) and then print out a SPECIAL print out that one can carry that indicates that there should be NO problem - but for now, they aren’t doing that at all.

I’m waiting to see when/if someone actually gets stopped and has a laptop taken away or denied flying.
Old Aug 26, 2019, 6:59 pm

Thai airways bans 2015-17 macbook pro

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand...7-macbook-pros
Old Aug 26, 2019, 7:52 pm

The only US airline I've seen with any mention of it is Ravn Alaska. The link goes to a PDF which describes the problem and says recalled MBPs aren't to be carried on any airline per FAA, but leaves it at that.

Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Do it yourself instant repair:

1. full backup of your macbook, iphone etc
2. day 1, buy a brand new macbook, iphone, etc, then do a full restore and verify everything is working
3. day 2, take the broken unit in for repair
4. use the new unit for 7-10 days until the broken one is returned and ready for pickup
5. do a full backup of the new unit, pick up your repaired unit, do a full restore or just move over any changed files
6. return the new unit for a full refund
I've planned for something similar.. take full backup on my portable SSD, if TSA makes me leave it, I'll re-buy a mac in next town, use it, take it home, fix mine and return new mac within 14 days. Apple will start to learn the lesson soon enough.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Looks like Quantas and Virgin Australia have also placed restrictions on them

All 15-inch versions of Apple Inc.’s MacBook Pro must be carried in the cabin and switched off, Qantas said in a statement Wednesday. The rule went into effect Tuesday morning. Rival Virgin Australia Holdings Ltd. went further on Aug. 26, banning all Apple laptops from checked-in luggage.​​​​​

https://finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/more-airlines-ban-macbook-pros-050259654.html
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This could get quite messy... Nobody is going to check whether or not it's an affected machine, so it'll end up a blanket ban on MacBook Pro 15s.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Found this on United's Travel notices site

Apple has recalled some of its MacBook Pro Retina display 15-inch laptops manufactured between September 2015 and February 2017 that have defective batteries. If your MacBook Pro has a defective battery, your laptop will need to be turned off and unplugged during your flight. You also won’t be able to pack your laptop in a checked bag.

If you’re not sure if your MacBook Pro has a defective battery, please visit Apple’s website to check your serial number before your upcoming trip.
https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/news/Pages/travelnotices.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.