FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Google Maps rolls out AR navigation for iOS and Android smartphones (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1982372-google-maps-rolls-out-ar-navigation-ios-android-smartphones.html)

DH Aug 10, 2019 5:53 am

Google Maps rolls out AR navigation for iOS and Android smartphones

Google has made available its Google Live Maps Live View AR( augmented reality) feature for Android and iPhone users. The feature was first announced at Google I/O 2018 and launched for exclusively for Pixel phones in May this year. Now all AR-compatible smartphone users can view screens in their vicinity. Android devices that support ARCore or iPhones that include ARKit support will be able to access Google Maps Live View.

I used AR navigation with Pixel 3a last month in Italy and it saved me a lot of frustrations and time! It solves one of my biggest problem navigating at new city. Prior to AR, I had difficulties following Google map direction but with AR, I just scanned my surrounding with phone's camera and it points where to go.

DH Aug 10, 2019 11:09 pm

How to Access Google Maps New AR Walking Directions in Google Maps

Dodge DeBoulet Aug 11, 2019 6:56 am

I'm assuming this feature shows up only in "AR-enabled" locations. I'm on an ARCore-capable device (Samsung Note 8), running the current Maps beta and don't see the option for my immediate area.

I'm sitting in my home office, which is rurally located in Southern Maine. I've requested directions to a nearby address, but Street View shows some sadly out-of-date images (more than 10 years old) with no option for an AR-Enhanced experience.

ajGoes Aug 11, 2019 7:12 am

The AR feature only works with walking directions. You use it to orient yourself so you can quickly determine which way you need to go. Google disables it when you start walking to try to prevent users from running into lampposts.

Dodge DeBoulet Aug 11, 2019 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes (Post 31403556)
The AR feature only works with walking directions. You use it to orient yourself so you can quickly determine which way you need to go. Google disables it when you start walking to try to prevent users from running into lampposts.

I know it only works for walking directions. I did not get an option to use it when I selected a nearby address, with walking as the mode of travel. That's why I'm thinking this may only work in "AR-Enabled" locations.

ajGoes Aug 11, 2019 7:17 pm

Maybe, but I've just done some exploring around really remote areas in Kansas on my Pixel 2 xl. It offers the AR option everywhere I've looked.

I turned it on when the beta dropped, but I see there's a setting to enable it: Settings / Navigation settings / Walking options / AR Walking Navigation. Have you enabled that?

Dodge DeBoulet Aug 12, 2019 8:57 am

I have no "Walking Settings" under Navigation Settings, only "Driving Settings." I'm on version 10.23.0 (#1023001040).

ajGoes Aug 12, 2019 9:02 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet (Post 31407300)
I have no "Walking Settings" under Navigation Settings, only "Driving Settings." I'm on version 10.23.0 (#1023001040).

FWIW, my AR-enabled version is 10.22.1. Your higher version number certainly suggests you should have the latest features.

Also, I just read the fine print under the AR Walking Navigation option. The switch doesn't enable AR; it just makes tilting the phone automatically start AR. Your AR button would evidently be there whether or not the option is selected.

LAXlocal Aug 15, 2019 4:42 pm

its probably too much bandwidth , but it would be neat to use the apps information for walking tours of places you might never go to .