FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   New tiny plug shape adapter-power strip in one (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1981524-new-tiny-plug-shape-adapter-power-strip-one.html)

chx1975 Aug 4, 2019 5:57 am

New tiny plug shape adapter-power strip in one

this is something else. It converts three US devices to EU/ UK/ AU/ US in a 3.93" x 1.75" x 0.98" size and only 2.26 oz weight. Ground is obviously(?) not converted but that's something hardly a problem any more with USB C taking over even for laptops so it's easier to get two prong adapters for Dell and HP laptops which still stubbornly insist on hard to convert three prong laptop adapters. This link is Amazon Global compatible but since it is US NEMA sockets, I bet that's only a relief to us Canadians.

docbert Aug 4, 2019 11:19 am

Would be good to get an unbiased review - most of those on Amazon are clearly fake... :(

(When looking at the reviews, keep in mind that the product only appeared on Amazon on July 1st, 2019)

StuckInYYZ Aug 4, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31378200)
Would be good to get an unbiased review - most of those on Amazon are clearly fake... :(

(When looking at the reviews, keep in mind that the product only appeared on Amazon on July 1st, 2019)

Looks like a little before that, but yeah, a lot of the reviews are fake.

chx1975 Aug 4, 2019 2:19 pm

When I do a US shipment next, I will grab it.

docbert Aug 4, 2019 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 31378750)
Looks like a little before that, but yeah, a lot of the reviews are fake.

Amazon's page for it gives the July 1st date. How exactly that correlates with the fact that a real number of the reviews were before that date is something I can't explain (does Amazon allow sellers to stage new products? In which case where did the reviews come from?)

der_saeufer Aug 5, 2019 2:37 am

Grounded North American outlet, but ungrounded plugs? Lame but common, and most travelers don't have anything that actually needs a ground (laptop bricks often have grounded plugs but are double-insulated and don't need the ground).

Using the round Continental prongs for UK outlets?! Shame. I wonder how many other corners they've cut.

For the record, you can fit a Europlug into a UK outlet in a pinch if you use something like a pen to simulate the earth pin and open the shutters, but they don't fit particularly well.

Definitely would not buy.

Finkface Aug 5, 2019 2:44 am

And no USB so I still have to carry a cube for my ipad and phone.

deniah Aug 5, 2019 5:39 am

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 31379654)
Amazon's page for it gives the July 1st date. How exactly that correlates with the fact that a real number of the reviews were before that date is something I can't explain (does Amazon allow sellers to stage new products? In which case where did the reviews come from?)

Yes, I believe one of the fraud issues Amazon has is by allowing sellers to recycle listing unique IDs.

Anyway, it's interesting how all the Chinese-based sellers all follow the same listing formula:
* business entity as completely-random noun in all-caps
* heavy abuse of unicode glyphs in written description
* exact same typography and visual design for picture descriptions

Points Scrounger Aug 5, 2019 10:56 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 31380452)
Grounded North American outlet, but ungrounded plugs? Lame but common, and most travelers don't have anything that actually needs a ground (laptop bricks often have grounded plugs but are double-insulated and don't need the ground).

Using the round Continental prongs for UK outlets?! Shame. I wonder how many other corners they've cut.

For the record, you can fit a Europlug into a UK outlet in a pinch if you use something like a pen to simulate the earth pin and open the shutters, but they don't fit particularly well.

Definitely would not buy.

​​​​​​I used a similar adapter with a plastic UK ground/earth pin which fit fine to me. Granted, I only used it for a single phone or tablet at a time with little pressure on the adapter.

Biggest problem with these types of adapters is that folks often put a lot of pressure on them with heavier charger bricks, and then complain that they don't stay in the (European) sockets.

StuckInYYZ Aug 8, 2019 11:33 am

Personally, I carry two plug adapters and a single NA (since I'm based in Canada) power bar (incidentally, it's one of those old Monster travel power bars). It gives me enough plugs regardless of where I go. For me personally, I don't see enough benefit for me to get something like that. Additionally it looks kinda flimsy.

Points Scrounger Aug 8, 2019 6:20 pm

Being a compulsive gadget shopper, for $10 (double Amex points!) I ordered one which arrived today. Here's how it looks in a North American socket. I could see it being a bit of a problem in a Korean vertical schuko socket, but then again almost any adapter relying on C pins has issues there. On a more positive note, I think the hinged nature of the ports would be a plus in situations where the socket is very low, nearly flush with a hotel nightstand or similar.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f975fda21f.jpg
Kindle charger cord bottom against wall, other side has heavy proprietary mp3 charger cord and Samsung charger above.

StuckInYYZ Aug 9, 2019 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger (Post 31395611)
Being a compulsive gadget shopper, for $10 (double Amex points!) I ordered one which arrived today. Here's how it looks in a North American socket. I could see it being a bit of a problem in a Korean vertical schuko socket, but then again almost any adapter relying on C pins has issues there. On a more positive note, I think the hinged nature of the ports would be a plus in situations where the socket is very low, nearly flush with a hotel nightstand or similar.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...f975fda21f.jpg
Kindle charger cord bottom against wall, other side has heavy proprietary mp3 charger cord and Samsung charger above.

I can see some issues with this. Most prominently that the joints will quickly become loose. I can get something nearly similar that will give me six sockets from my nearest dollar store and would likely be more effective. But thanks for taking one for the team.