Reload this Page >

En masse transfer of MP4 to MP3

Old Aug 2, 19, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

So, I bought a replacement cheapie MP3 player for travel, and didn't realize that all my files (and prior player) were MP4. Lovely. My searching has resulted in nothing better than a one file at a time method. The files' home are on a PC.

Thanks for any help!
Old Aug 2, 19, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
MP4 audio files?

I only have MP4 Video files, but foobar2000 converted all of them to MP3 audio with File/Open/Select All/Open, then right click/Convert/Quick Convert/MP3 and done. About 20 seconds if they're all in the same folder. Then quite a while for the actual conversion, but you only need to kick it off and let it run.

I suspect it will do the same for MP4 audio.

It's my go-to tool for pretty much any file type conversion. I recently converted a hundred+ SACD and DVDAudio albums to FLAC 5.1 for my new (to me) car.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
If you're conversant with the command line, there are a whole bunch of tools -- ffmpeg is free and works on Windows, Mac or Linux although the details of how to install it will be different for each. On Mac or Linux, if you don't mind a slightly ugly filename:
for a in *.m4a ; do ffmpeg -i "$a" -c:a libmp3lame -b:a 128k "$a".mp3 ; done
will create an MP3 file for every M4A in a directory with a constant 128k bitrate. Adjust quality to desired level.

On GUI for Windows, I paid for a Winamp llicense years and years ago and it still works well for WMA<->AAC*<->MP3 or converting the occasional Ogg Vorbis file out of a video game to something more media-player friendly.
(I assume you mean AAC as the "MP4" files, as AAC is usually used in an MP4 or M4A container.) I don't think it does FLAC or Opus.

The Foobar2000 player looks like a decent open-source substitute.
Eastbay1K, freecia and WilcoRoger like this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:55 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
LameXP has a GUI and does batch processing with multithreading: https://sourceforge.net/projects/lamexp/\

(Suggest turning off all the "lame" sound effects.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: