Wiki Posts
Search

Tracfone or cheap prepaid in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors
Tracfone or cheap prepaid in Germany

My parents are using tracfone here in the us. From my understanding they will not work in Germany. What would be the cheapest and easiest option for them to have a phone to keep in touch with me while we are in germany for 10 days?

they never used a smartphone in their whole life and think they would have a hard time with a spare unlocked iphone 5s

My wife and I use tombile and I know it will work in germany
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Who is going to be in Germany? You, your parents or all of you?
Old Jul 19, 2019, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hhonors
Originally Posted by TWA884
Who is going to be in Germany? You, your parents or all of you?
all of us.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
According to the TRACFONE International Callings FAQ web page, TRACFONE cell phones don't work outside of the United States, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Just buy a cheap quad band GSM phone and get a local prepaid SIM when you are there.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tantuti
My parents are using tracfone here in the us. From my understanding they will not work in Germany. What would be the cheapest and easiest option for them to have a phone to keep in touch with me while we are in germany for 10 days?

they never used a smartphone in their whole life and think they would have a hard time with a spare unlocked iphone 5s

My wife and I use tombile and I know it will work in germany
I would suggest looking for an unlocked GSM version of the phone they already have or something as similar to that as possible before you all are in Germany; and then when in Germany, buy a German prepaid SIM for them to use in the unlocked phone that isn’t too unfamiliar for them. That way while you are in Germany you can at least call them while they are in Germany and they won’t have problems answering the call and should still have a pretty easy time calling you while there or elsewhere.

You could also buy a prepaid German SIM in the US with some value on it, and install that before you go to Germany.

Maybe before the trip you can try to get them used to answering and calling with the unlocked GSM compatible iPhone 5S (if that is what you have) and then get them a T-Mobile SIM with their own number under your account so they can use that in Germany? I’ve done something like that for family and it worked out better in ways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.