Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

fitting mSATA SSD into PCIe slot - possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

[mods - only vaguely related to travel tech (the mSATA came out of my old work travel laptop), but I can't face signing up to a tech IBB just to ask this one question]

My old home desktop has 4 SATA connectors, which are now all used up. I want to get some more storage in there, and I have an old 256GB mSATA that i took out of an laptop - is there such a thing an a PCIe card with an mSATA slot/adaptor, so I can plug the card in there? I know that performance etc won't be great, but I'm really not bothered about that, it's just extra storage and I have this drive sitting around.

If it is possible, can someone post a link for a suitable card? Every combo of mSATA / PCIe / adaptor that I use seems to bring up dozens of SATA-mSATA and PCIe-mPCIe adaptors, but nothing linking the two standards.

Thanks

PS - it's definitely mSATA and not m.2, sadly
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: *G
Why not use plain-ole USB-A. Buy a housing for it and connect to USB -- still faster speeds than traditional platter drives
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You can buy a PCIe controller card with mSATA slots. Something like this. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16815124139
LIH Prem and König like this.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I have one of these:
Amazon Amazon

Be careful with PCIe SATA cards, a lot of them are x2 (or x4 or x8) which most motherboards don't have.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 7:51 pm

You can always put a card into an empty slot with a larger number of PCIe lanes if you have one available. Mine sits in a x16 slot
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:07 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
You can, but those x16 slots are often populated with a video card. I have only even owned a single computer that had two of them.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 10:31 pm

Good point. I use the integrated graphics processor in mine.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 4:38 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by javabytes
You can buy a PCIe controller card with mSATA slots. Something like this. https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16815124139
Originally Posted by Error 601
I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8CJ91S/

Be careful with PCIe SATA cards, a lot of them are x2 (or x4 or x8) which most motherboards don't have.
Thanks both - I don't need multiple card slots, so I'm going for Error601's version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.