Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Downloading/Saving webpages for offline viewing on Android/iOS?

Old Jun 27, 19, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

I actually use both an iPhone XR and Pixel 3 XL. When I use Chrome on Android, I can simply download the webpage from the menu for offline viewing in situations such as in the middle of a trans-pacific flight. On iOs, I can't seem to figure it out with Safari. Even adding it to the reading list doesn't seem to work. As soon as I lose the data connection, I can't view the webpage.

How are you guys downloading/saving webpages for offline viewing on Android/iOS?
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:24 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I actually use both an iPhone XR and Pixel 3 XL. When I use Chrome on Android, I can simply download the webpage from the menu for offline viewing in situations such as in the middle of a trans-pacific flight. On iOs, I can't seem to figure it out with Safari. Even adding it to the reading list doesn't seem to work. As soon as I lose the data connection, I can't view the webpage.

How are you guys downloading/saving webpages for offline viewing on Android/iOS?
iOS go to settings > Safari > scroll to bottom and enable automatically save offline Then Reading list should work. I never tried it, but I read about that recently.
Old Jun 28, 19, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post

iOS go to settings > Safari > scroll to bottom and enable automatically save offline Then Reading list should work. I never tried it, but I read about that recently.
Not OP, but thank you for this. Have Adobe Acrobat on my phone and previously saved pages as PDF to read them offline.
Old Jun 28, 19, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer View Post

Yep, but it doesn't often work. I did a bit more research on this and apparently I'm not the only one that experienced issues with this.
Old Jun 28, 19, 3:23 pm

I've also had issues with Reading List. It seems to work if there's absolutely no connection, i.e. in Airplane Mode without any WiFi enabled. But if it's simply a weak connection, Safari will try to reload the page unsuccessfully and lose whatever was cached previously. So you never know if the page will be available for offline reading.

Rather than try to gamble with Reading List, you can use a third-party app instead. I've used Pocket and there's also Instapaper which has similar functionality.

Last edited by ordx; Jun 28, 19 at 3:29 pm
Old Jun 28, 19, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ordx View Post
I've also had issues with Reading List. It seems to work if there's absolutely no connection, i.e. in Airplane Mode without any WiFi enabled. But if it's simply a weak connection, Safari will try to reload the page unsuccessfully and lose whatever was cached previously. So you never know if the page will be available for offline reading.

Rather than try to gamble with Reading List, you can use a third-party app instead. I've used Pocket and there's also Instapaper which has similar functionality.
Thx, but using those apps mean having another subscription.
Old Jun 29, 19, 2:53 pm

Pocket's free version works for offline reading on iOS and Android. https://getpocket.com/premium
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by freecia View Post
Pocket's free version works for offline reading on iOS and Android. https://getpocket.com/premium
Second the recommendation. I've used it for several years, and it's great for those long flights where I want to take a 20 or 30-minute break from the IFE.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 19, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freecia View Post
The premium version supports "building a library". What does that mean? I guess my need for Android isn't pressing since Chrome can just download the webpage. It's more important for iOS since Safari's reading list feature doesn't work very well.
Old Jun 30, 19, 8:59 am

As I don't have an IOS device handy, what about loading Chrome and using the download for later viewing? I would expect it would be a similar process to the Android version.
Old Jul 1, 19, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by google.com

Save a page from Chrome to read later

You need to be online to save a page to your Reading List.
  1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Chrome app .
  2. Go to a page you want to save.
  3. At the top right, tap Share .
  4. Tap Read later .

Save a page from another app

1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the app.
  2. Go to a page you want to save.
  3. At the top right, tap Share .
  4. If you haven't already, add Chrome to your Share list:
    1. In the list of apps, scroll to the end and tap More.
    2. Switch Chrome on .
    3. Tap Done.
  5. Find and tap Chrome.
  6. Tap Read later.
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/7343019?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS&oco=1
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:37 am

I'm a big fan of Instapaper. You can read saved materials via their website or apps which they have available for both iOS and Android platforms. The layout of saved items is similar to reading mode on Safari. If someone has used both Instapaper and Pocket, I would be curious to know which you like better and why.
Old Jul 9, 19, 8:26 am

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Yep, but it doesn't often work. I did a bit more research on this and apparently I'm not the only one that experienced issues with this.
I think you might have to be connected to wifi, but there might be another setting to enable backup to icloud using cell data. If that's not it then I can't think of another reason why it wouldn't work.
Old Jul 19, 19, 12:13 pm

I save the page as PDF. Misses some photos but I can access it offline.

Search this Thread