FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Finally figured out Grid It (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1972156-finally-figured-out-grid.html)

chx1975 Jun 1, 2019 1:18 am

Finally figured out Grid It

I had this thing lying around for many years but somehow I never figured out what you can do with it. https://i.imgur.com/aG2Jwah.jpg not the best photo, sorry but it shows the wonderful mess I created. My previous attempts soured because I tried to be tidy. Not now. Also this is in the tech section because the focus is on the pile of tech I have here :D

All USB C cords are AmazonBasics 2.0 cords. I don't need high speed data (via USB C), I just need thin cables. I am going to write left to right, top to bottom.
  1. Elecom WRH-583BK2-S. Dual band, dual port travel router, 2.6 x 1.4 x 0.8 inches. 6ft USB C cable wrapped around it.
  2. Black on black... barely visible is the UK head of the Mu One.
  3. A stack of an AAA battery, a flat long Ethernet cord and a 6ft USB C to micro USB cable.
  4. That was the top row, next is a 3ft USB C cable bundle kind of standing on its edge.
  5. Here we have a 3AC power strip from Japan. The folding plug is very useful as its visible here. It covers the Olight UC Universal Magnetic USB Charger completely but I swear it's there :)
  6. A stack of 6ft USB C cable, a short flat Ethernet cable and another AAA battery and the EU head of the Mu One slapped on top.
  7. One half of the Road Warrior RW75 universal plug converter with a 3ft cord on top. Today I'd recommend the RW101 instead, it's available on Amazon but I had this one for a long while and it's only problematic in the UK where I am barely any more.
  8. This row starts with the Mu One itself with the US head on.
  9. Next is the new Xiaomi Zhibai Electric Razor (my review)
  10. 30W USB C charger shipped with the OMY2S. Will be replaced by the
  11. USB A female to USB C male, micro USB B female to USB C male hiding under the straps with just the USB C plugs peeking out.
  12. Next we have the other half of the RW75 plug converter.
The Japanese items were ordered from Amazon Japan via Zenmarket. Power strip, router. The router is available on eBay as well.

Here are the devices not on this photo I need to charge:
  1. ThinkPad Anniversary Edition 25, 14" laptop (20V C)
  2. Phone (5V C)
  3. Glocalme U2 International wifi hotspot (micro B female)
  4. eReader (micro A female, soon to be C w/ Dasung not-eReader)
  5. Oral B Electronic Toothbrush charger (micro B female)
  6. Aroo vacuum bar (micro B female)
  7. One Mix Yoga 2S 7" laptop (12V 2.5A USB C this can be tricky, 12V is optional, but both the Mu One and the Aukey supports it)
The AAA batteries are for the Bose QC headphones. Absolutely vital on planes.

For this trip, I will have a Xiaomi five USB A, one USB C charger with me which I will leave at my brother's. Next trip I will have the Maru from Kickstarter and I won't need the RW75 any more. From that point on I will have five USB C ports and two USB A ports altogether -- Maru has two USB C and two USB A, third is the Mu One and the Aukey PA-D2 has two. Several people already got their Maru / Masa but I didn't yet (bundles didn't ship yet apparently). The Dasung not-eReader ships this month finally, hopefully, I am not worried, Dasung has a long great track record, it's just unfortunate it misses this trip. I will need to find and pack a micro HDMI to micro HDMI cable between the OMY2S and the not-eReader.

unmesh Jun 1, 2019 10:21 am

The image is not accessible

chx1975 Jun 1, 2019 2:08 pm

No matter how I test, it works for me...?

Drummer Jun 1, 2019 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by unmesh (Post 31160397)
The image is not accessible

Same for me. I get this:

Access to i.imgur.com was denied

You don't have authorization to view this page.

HTTP ERROR 403

TWA884 Jun 1, 2019 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 31160901)
No matter how I test, it works for me...?

Probably because you are signed in to your imgur.com account and you are authorized to view it. Check the privacy settings of that image.

FXWizard Jun 1, 2019 6:49 pm

I just tried it; it's working for me and I'm not logged onto imgur myself...perhaps OP sorted out permissions?

TWA884 Jun 1, 2019 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by FXWizard (Post 31161379)
I just tried it; it's working for me and I'm not logged onto imgur myself...perhaps OP sorted out permissions?

It appears to be a Chrome issue. I still get the error message in Chrome, however, the image displays in Firefox (and when using Chrome in incognito mode).

Pocalypse Jun 1, 2019 8:51 pm

This link works: https://imgur.com/aG2Jwah
(removed the .jpg)

Also, here's mine:
https://imgur.com/DpMGXsG

I'm not gonna list out everything that's on it, sorry :).

freecia Jun 2, 2019 2:23 am

How much does that all weigh? I remember seeing an empty GridIt and thought it was somewhat heavy. Specs list the medium at 11 oz https://www.cocooninnovations.com/pr...product_id=234

The magnetic battery charger is new-to-me. I don't currently travel with any AA/AAA batteries but a few family members do and I've been wondering if there's a better charger similar to Nitecore's UI2 for use with a pair of Eneloop AA/AAA's. Also, thanks for the reddit link to your review on USBCHardware as it brought up a few other items on my USB-C wishlist :)

CPRich Jun 2, 2019 12:17 pm

Looks pretty much like my pile of electronics at the bottom of my bag, but with nylon straps all around it.

FXWizard Jun 2, 2019 1:19 pm

I've got a few Grid-Its but I ended up using them to store extra cables in my home office (they're on magnetic hangers on the side frame of my IKEA Jerker) and use a set of mesh zipper bags for all of the cables and small chargers...I don't mind having to rummage through the bags as needed, and if I'm not taking all of my electronics I can decant the cables and chargers I need into the smaller mesh bag.

chx1975 Jun 2, 2019 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Pocalypse (Post 31161563)

Thanks for reminding me to pack the MOGICS Bagel instead. Done. Gained some space.

gobluetwo Jun 3, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 31163235)
Looks pretty much like my pile of electronics at the bottom of my bag, but with nylon straps all around it.

Yeah, that's pretty much what it is. I have a grid-it that someone gave me as they were clearing out their office. Tried it for a few weeks and 3 business trips. Never really liked it, but different strokes, as they say. Glad it work out for OP.

chx1975 Jun 6, 2019 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 31163235)

It's much easier to remove it all from the backpack and also to find things. Previously I was doing pouches and it's such a tangle.

TheMadBrewer Jun 7, 2019 12:53 pm

I bought a couple of Grid Its when they first came out but never have really used them because they are so heavy. I have some ultra-sil mesh bags that weigh next to nothing for my cables and stuff. Of course, I have a lot fewer cables than before since most of my stuff is USB-C. A USB-C to lightning adapter for my iPhone and a USB-C to micro-USB for my Kindle completes the cable set...