Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why Don't US Carriers Encourage SIM PINs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 3:06 am
Original Poster

A friend of mine recently misplaced his phone right before hopping on an international flight (wasn't sure if it was stolen or left at home, turned out to be home) - he didn't have time to deal with his (phone) carrier before flying. However, as he had a SIM PIN on his PIN at my suggestion, he wasn't worried about someone making calls with his SIM.

I really don't understand why the carriers don't push this - why everyone doesn't do it. Everyone locks down their smartphones with a password/fingerprint. But, if the phone is lost or stolen, the thief can remove the SIM card and make calls/impersonate the owner.

The only reason I think I know about this and lock my SIMs is I remember buying Dutch prepaid SIMs years ago that had the SIM PIN turned on by default.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Everyone locks down their smartphones with a password/fingerprint.
No, they don't.
milski likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIM PINs are a holdover from the days when each call was billed per minute and someone using your SIM could land you with big charges. Nowadays just about everything is unlimited talk and text so the potential damage is limited. Plus most people don't often take their SIM from their phone so it's not very likely you'll lose your SIM but not your phone.

People SHOULD be locking their phone with a password but many people think it's too much of a hassle because they are silly. I was very surprised when I found that my company's IT group didn't enforce mandatory passwords when you add your work email to your phone (every other place I've worked has had this as a basic requirement).
Old May 13, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think there's a potential use for a SIM PIN in the identity theft arena.

While I use a strong password, if I lost my phone, someone could still read my texts, including texts of numbers used for two-step security. That always has me a little concerned.

I suppose a SIM PIN would only help alleviate that if I turned off these notifications and then the thief were to try to move my SIM to another phone. That's where a PIN would come in.
Old May 13, 2019, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Nowadays just about everything is unlimited talk and text so the potential damage is limited.
Not for international or premium rate numbers.
milski likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Not for international or premium rate numbers.
Fine, but still: how often do you hear about thieves taking the SIM out of someone's phone to call internationally?

I used to have a SIM PIN but it's annoying because whenever the phone turns on it is nonfunctional until I remember to enter the PIN. I understand that that's the point; it just seems annoying to me.
ajGoes likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Fine, but still: how often do you hear about thieves taking the SIM out of someone's phone to call internationally?

I used to have a SIM PIN but it's annoying because whenever the phone turns on it is nonfunctional until I remember to enter the PIN. I understand that that's the point; it just seems annoying to me.
This. If SIM theft was actually a problem, carriers might encourage it and people might activate it. It’s essentially unheard of though. Scams involving SIM cards far more often involve criminals trying to convince phone companies to transfer a number to a different SIM card they have.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
My carrier offers unlimited calls and texts, as well as the ability to disable international service, disable calls to international numbers, and pause my service altogether. I can do all of this from any device with a web browser. A SIM-lock seems superfluous.
Old May 13, 2019, 2:38 pm

I always use a SIM PIN and a PIN on my device. I don’t want some jackass using my phone number, even if it doesn’t harm me.
milski likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Also, thieves don't actually need to steal your phone's SIM card to cause damage: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...tagram-bitcoin. Not sure how a PIN would help with that.
freQ likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
Also, thieves don't actually need to steal your phone's SIM card to cause damage: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/v...tagram-bitcoin. Not sure how a PIN would help with that.
A SIM PIN won’t help with this - this is when someone manages to transfer someone’s phone number to a new SIM card. There are some things you can do at your account level with your phone provider to help mitigate this, but those have proven to not always be 100% efficient.

I was told once: “locks only keep honest people honest”
Old May 14, 2019, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by freQ
A SIM PIN won’t help with this - this is when someone manages to transfer someone’s phone number to a new SIM card. There are some things you can do at your account level with your phone provider to help mitigate this, but those have proven to not always be 100% efficient.

I was told once: “locks only keep honest people honest”
Agreed. It's arguably more lucrative, too, since now you potentially have access to someone's bank and other accounts.

Unfortunately we also seem to be resistant to implementing measures to stop this form of fraud.
Old May 15, 2019, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Right, a SIM PIN won't help with remote hijacking - if someone steals your SIM and there is no PIN then they can use the SIM for password changes, etc.
Old May 15, 2019, 4:01 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

That's exactly the scam. Phones are being stolen just for the SIM. The unlocked SIM is used on another phone to call a premium rate number that has been set up by the perpetrators.

The victim is more worried about the phone, so doesn't initially cancel the SIM, and then receives a huge bill at the end of the month.

Premium rate numbers in the UK cost up to £3.60 per minute!
Old May 16, 2019, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Right, a SIM PIN won't help with remote hijacking - if someone steals your SIM and there is no PIN then they can use the SIM for password changes, etc.
Yep, in this instance 2-Factor Authentication can actually make your accounts less secure. What a world we live in these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.