Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Why Don't US Carriers Encourage SIM PINs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why Don't US Carriers Encourage SIM PINs?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's exactly the scam. Phones are being stolen just for the SIM. The unlocked SIM is used on another phone to call a premium rate number that has been set up by the perpetrators.

The victim is more worried about the phone, so doesn't initially cancel the SIM, and then receives a huge bill at the end of the month.

Premium rate numbers in the UK cost up to Ł3.60 per minute!
This still seems like a holdover from another era to me. Perhaps it's more of a concern in Europe/Asia?

Originally Posted by freQ
Yep, in this instance 2-Factor Authentication can actually make your accounts less secure. What a world we live in these days.
Proper, cryptographic 2 factor auth makes your account more secure. SMS texting a login code to your phone is only as secure as the underlying phone infrastructure, which as we've seen, is not very secure. Contrast with USB authorization tokens or even code generator apps on a (properly secured) smartphone.
freQ likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
This still seems like a holdover from another era to me. Perhaps it's more of a concern in Europe/Asia?
Just a quick Google search found this site in the US :-

https://paypercall.com/go.html

$50 per call...

Set it up, steal a few SIMs and make the calls. Obviously the scammers will be a bit subtle.

Anyway, I only heard about this a couple of years ago in a technical publication, but I've locked my SIM since. The actual phone is just a bonus for the scammers.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
That's exactly the scam. Phones are being stolen just for the SIM. The unlocked SIM is used on another phone to call a premium rate number that has been set up by the perpetrators.

The victim is more worried about the phone, so doesn't initially cancel the SIM, and then receives a huge bill at the end of the month.

Premium rate numbers in the UK cost up to Ł3.60 per minute!
Well, then those should be blocked by default unless explicitly requested to be unblocked, problem solved.
freQ likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave

Proper, cryptographic 2 factor auth makes your account more secure. SMS texting a login code to your phone is only as secure as the underlying phone infrastructure, which as we've seen, is not very secure. Contrast with USB authorization tokens or even code generator apps on a (properly secured) smartphone.
Yep, SMS is better than nothing in most instances, but not even remotely close to being as secure as a hardware or software token.
Old May 16, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
Well, then those should be blocked by default unless explicitly requested to be unblocked, problem solved.
I have seen with some cell phone providers you can block calls to premium numbers.
Old May 17, 2019, 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Ditto
The last couple American providers I had did exactly that. Premium services were never all that popular in the US and even when they were common the majority of them were phone sex lines and the like. Anymore, it doesn't even matter because the major telcos all refuse to bill for 900 service so the numbers exist only in theory. The pay-per-call numbers now are all 800 (toll-free) numbers that request credit card info. If you take a look at the American site posted upthread, that's what they're selling--not the ability to charge it to caller's phone bills.

Many US mobile providers also block international calls by default, so a SIM stolen from a random American is essentially useless for making charges to its owner's phone bill.

In Europe where premium-rate calls and particularly SMS are alive and well, the SIM PIN makes way more sense. I spent €30 on premium SMS the other day--daily transit tickets for four people, and because of the way prepaid reloads and bonus data work here in Belgium, it's easy to end up with €100+ in credit that can be used (by me or a thief) to pay for transit, parking, etc. and potentially to buy things in the Google Play store.

Last edited by der_saeufer; May 17, 2019 at 5:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.