Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite texting- Garmin inReach or others

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 12:05 am
dtc

Programs: Restarting life as UA newb; AA Lifetime Gold
Hey Experts,

Given the recent fires and blackouts in my region, which also shutdown cell phone service - I thought I'd look into getting a backup satellite phone for emergencies (call to let people know I'm ok, call to request aid from local police/fire/medical - if they still exist.)

I rarely travel or do anything remotely remote. So this is purely for disaster scenarios.

I looked at the inReach mini, but I wasn't quite sure how the Freedom plan would work/cost me since I only need this... well... when a disaster strikes.

Also, I don't live in a particularly rural area - so I'm not sure the SOS / search and rescue service it triggers makes sense. And I'm not sure I can text/email police/fire/medical. (I suppose I could text a friend out of region?)

Any thoughts on a cost effective solution for my scenario?
bukzin likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtc
Hey Experts,

Given the recent fires and blackouts in my region, which also shutdown cell phone service - I thought I'd look into getting a backup satellite phone for emergencies (call to let people know I'm ok, call to request aid from local police/fire/medical - if they still exist.)

I rarely travel or do anything remotely remote. So this is purely for disaster scenarios.

I looked at the inReach mini, but I wasn't quite sure how the Freedom plan would work/cost me since I only need this... well... when a disaster strikes.

Also, I don't live in a particularly rural area - so I'm not sure the SOS / search and rescue service it triggers makes sense. And I'm not sure I can text/email police/fire/medical. (I suppose I could text a friend out of region?)

Any thoughts on a cost effective solution for my scenario?
The SOS capability reaches their own control center but the information gets passed on to where it needs to go--but everything must be relayed, there's no direct connection. They don't have their own S&R, it's working through whatever the local system is. It's text only, no e-mail, no pictures and don't expect it to work indoors. You can use them to text other people but once you go over your free allotment (IIRC 10/month) you pay per text (IIRC 50 cents.) (Higher service levels give more free texts per month.)

I don't see that it would be practical to turn on service only when needed unless you could plan ahead. (For example, turning it on when the hurricane was coming.)
dtc likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I also have one and keep it in my work bag for my travels - you never know, right?

I wondered how people did it on the weeks-long hiking because I think it only goes about 50 hours between charges? How do you keep the battery going? I didn't think those little solar panels are as effective as the sellers make it sound.

While I'm sure as someone said, the cruise ships don't want you to use it because they charge ludicrous amounts to people that want to be reachable just in case. I could also see where they don't want someone activating it because they didn't like the buffet and the ship having to deal with the coast guard or equivalent.

They are super cool, though, and mine works well. If I ever had a long adventure, I'd just pay for the unlimited plan ($70?). I find the interface on the iPhone a bit confusing, and due to the lag, you don't know if your message went out. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it. I had hoped they would be able to integrate it into the iPhone's iMessage program the same way SIP applications can use the regular phone dialing app.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DMSFCA
I find the interface on the iPhone a bit confusing, and due to the lag, you don't know if your message went out. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it. I had hoped they would be able to integrate it into the iPhone's iMessage program the same way SIP applications can use the regular phone dialing app.
After having the device for a few months, do you have any further observations related to the iPhone interface or other issues?

Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
After having the device for a few months, do you have any further observations related to the iPhone interface or other issues?

Thanks.
If you don't mind carrying a bigger inReach, Costco.com (if you are a Costco member) sells the Explorer version for cheaper than the Mini elsewhere. And you could txt on the device I think.. don't have to worry too much about bluetooth pairing with the smartphone.
747FC likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Need
If you don't mind carrying a bigger inReach, Costco.com (if you are a Costco member) sells the Explorer version for cheaper than the Mini elsewhere. And you could txt on the device I think.. don't have to worry too much about bluetooth pairing with the smartphone.
Thanks. I just looked at the Costco offerings...
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan

Mara river crossing, with pings about every 10 minutes

Svalbard tracks, i just turned it on and pinged once at each stop
couple of pictures from my tracked trips, one of Kenya and the Mara river crossing, the other from Svalbard. I put these in our digital albums, along with photos and Mrs boerne likes to scroll through the trips, especially to show the grandkids. That Costco Explorer SE+ is a good deal. that's what my son carries in Northern New Mexico.
Need and KRSW like this.

Last edited by boerne; Dec 21, 2019 at 5:20 pm Reason: Added data
Old Dec 21, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by boerne

Mara river crossing, with pings about every 10 minutes

Svalbard tracks, i just turned it on and pinged once at each stop
couple of pictures from my tracked trips, one of Kenya and the Mara river crossing, the other from Svalbard. I put these in our digital albums, along with photos and Mrs boerne likes to scroll through the trips, especially to show the grandkids. That Costco Explorer SE+ is a good deal. that's what my son carries in Northern New Mexico.
Pinging on cruise stops is a wonderful idea for making maps!

Aside from the Mini's size advantage,and the SE+ price advantage, do you see any benefits for the Mini or SE+. I notice that Garmin no longer sells the SE+, so my thought was that perhaps it is a generation behind in technology.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 2:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Battery life is not uniform across the different type of Garmin devices IIRC. But it’s also possible to have your own portable charging (inclusive of even charge-generating) capabilities if you’re really out there and have one or more reason to need such charging capability on the go.

I don’t know if Garmin’s newer devices tend to work at least somewhat better with Iridium than older Garmin devices, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they do. Iridium hardware and software changes were to have allowed for improvements with at least some client devices too.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 22, 2019 at 3:02 am
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Iridium NEXT finished deployment in Feb. I feel like some of the readers here know a lot more about that than I do. I wonder if the Costco SE is based on the older satellite. hardware model. I did get a firmware update on the mini. Texts were actually about a 5 minute round trip (send to receive reply) in the Arctic. Got a trip to Thailand, and while on the list for do not take, I probably will anyway. Anyone had experience taking one of these to Thailand?
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:49 am

I still can't find a cruise that prohibits them. Would love to know which cruise lines, or is it the countries the ships are docking at.
Originally Posted by docbert
"EPIRB" and "Satellite phones" and are banned on most cruises, although I can't comment on how strictly this is enforced, or whether an InReach style device would fall under either of those categories (although I suspect it would, at least as a satellite phone).

eg, Carnival Cruises - https://www.carnival.com/help under "What items am I not allowed to bring?"

There do seem to be many people reporting using sat phones on cruises, so it's certainly possible it's not enforced, or at least not always.

Cruise lines charge for ship to land based communication and receives a fee from Cellular at Sea. Both types of communication are satellite based . The ban on satellite phones is not for safety but to maximize on board cruise ship revenue under the theory if you can afford a satellite phone you can pay the cruise ship more $$$.

I wish the cruise ships would ban the FRS/GMRS radios which are prohibited by several countries.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:02 am
Original Poster

https://netblocks.org/reports/youtub...tries-xyMk4GAZ

https://netblocks.org/reports/major-...-iran-xyMk4XAZ

more likely servers with backdoors were installed than some innocent outage. Yet another reason to have a satellite based back up.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
https://netblocks.org/reports/youtub...tries-xyMk4GAZ

https://netblocks.org/reports/major-...-iran-xyMk4XAZ

more likely servers with backdoors were installed than some innocent outage. Yet another reason to have a satellite based back up.
There is at least one large democratic country — which is a US strategic ally in ways — where even peaceful, ordinary people having a satellite-using comm device in a personal capacity can make such people subject to serious physical abuse (or worse) by law enforcement and other security force types in the employ of government. Just something to consider before taking these kind of devices to some countries that have the death penalty applicable in their national criminal justice systems, as countries that prohibit satellite phones and have a death penalty tend to have lots more extrajudicial encounters too and hold a lot of suspicion against users of (and even mere holders of) sat comm devices.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cryptic stuff aside, it appears you are referring to India. I’m not sure why they’d care, but apparently they do.
KRSW likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Cryptic stuff aside, it appears you are referring to India. I’m not sure why they’d care, but apparently they do.
Terrorists are probably using them for covert communications.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.