Satellite texting- Garmin inReach or others

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite texting- Garmin inReach or others

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Originally Posted by docbert
Many cruises explicitly outlaw devices like these. If that's why you're buying it, be sure to check out if it's allowed first...
I still can't find a cruise that prohibits them. Would love to know which cruise lines, or is it the countries the ships are docking at.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by boerne
I have not found a cruise where such a device is prohibited or not allowed on search, so if someone finds one please share.
"EPIRB" and "Satellite phones" and are banned on most cruises, although I can't comment on how strictly this is enforced, or whether an InReach style device would fall under either of those categories (although I suspect it would, at least as a satellite phone).

eg, Carnival Cruises - https://www.carnival.com/help under "What items am I not allowed to bring?"

There do seem to be many people reporting using sat phones on cruises, so it's certainly possible it's not enforced, or at least not always.

Last edited by docbert; May 28, 2019 at 12:15 pm Reason: Fix quote
Old May 28, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Timely article from wired mentions 2 I have not heard of.

https://www.wired.com/gallery/best-s...te-messengers/

Thanks for that cruise info

Last edited by boerne; May 28, 2019 at 12:11 pm Reason: added thanks
Old May 29, 2019, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

So I am at a conference trying to avoid snoring, and had time to make an incomplete list of cruise lines that allow and dont allow, and don't mention the subject of this thread.

Satellite phones and EPIRB

Oceania - https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Docum...-List-2017.pdf

Silver Seas- no mention found https://www.silversea.com/travel-inf...uirements.html

Viking- no mention found

RSSC- https://www.rssc.com/sites/default/f...SSC_082517.pdf

Crystal- no mention found

Celebrity- Not included, but Ham radio’s are

https://www.celebritycruises.com/com...fore-you-board

Norwegian- https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

Windstar- not included, https://www.windstarcruises.com/voya...rohibitedItems
KRSW likes this.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Cruisenation.com also have a list of cruise lines and their prohibited/restricted items.
https://www.cruisenation.com/guides/...stricted-items

I'd love to know exactly what constitutes a Ham Radio. I assume they just mean transmitters but that isn't obvious. For example I normally travel with a shortwave radio or two. These cover the entire Shortwave spectrum as well as FM, MW & LW. You can definitely pickup Ham broadcasting on that. I may also take a radio scanner or a USB stick/device that can turn my tablet into one. Are those considered Ham radios?

Last edited by Jimmie76; May 29, 2019 at 6:07 pm
Old May 29, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I may also take a radio scanner or a USB stick/device that can turn my tablet into one. Are those considered Ham radios?
those would be SDR (software-defined radios) ?

doubt they can tell what those items are, especially if its not on the banned list

also, HAM/CB radios/radio scanners can be banned in some countries too, proceed at your own risk
Old May 29, 2019, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by paperwastage
those would be SDR (software-defined radios) ?

doubt they can tell what those items are, especially if its not on the banned list
Yes it's actually a TV stick that can tune into radio frequencies too.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
also, HAM/CB radios/radio scanners can be banned in some countries too, proceed at your own risk
I take that when a scanner is prohibited or the legality of using one isn't clear. However you've mentioned the term Ham radios. I still don't know what that actually defines. Is it a transceiver, a transmitter or a receiver that can pick up Ham bands like my Sony SW100/SW55/Sangean ats 909x etc?
Old May 30, 2019, 1:21 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
I'd love to know exactly what constitutes a Ham Radio. I assume they just mean transmitters but that isn't obvious. For example I normally travel with a shortwave radio or two. These cover the entire Shortwave spectrum as well as FM, MW & LW. You can definitely pickup Ham broadcasting on that. I may also take a radio scanner or a USB stick/device that can turn my tablet into one. Are those considered Ham radios?
I doubt a receiver-only would be considered a Ham Radio, but it's hard to know. The Carnival list I pointed to above includes "communication scanners, wideband receivers" which would rule out your scanner and probably also your shortwave radio.
Old Jun 1, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

its really not clear to me why a cruise ship would ban something like that. I assume it is a safety/terrorist thing, but all cell phones are more of a risk than a satellite communicator, in my opinion. Or more likely, they might think they are losing revenue.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boerne
its really not clear to me why a cruise ship would ban something like that. I assume it is a safety/terrorist thing, but all cell phones are more of a risk than a satellite communicator, in my opinion. Or more likely, they might think they are losing revenue.
Because they want you to pay for onboard Wifi and cellular service.
Craig6z and KRSW like this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
"EPIRB" and "Satellite phones" and are banned on most cruises, although I can't comment on how strictly this is enforced, or whether an InReach style device would fall under either of those categories (although I suspect it would, at least as a satellite phone).

eg, Carnival Cruises - https://www.carnival.com/help under "What items am I not allowed to bring?"

There do seem to be many people reporting using sat phones on cruises, so it's certainly possible it's not enforced, or at least not always.
Note that things like the inReach are neither a EPIRB (they are called PLBs--Personal Locator Beacon, as opposed to a beacon meant for vessels), nor a phone of any sort (they have no voice capability whatsoever.)

I can easily imagine that the restrictions are bureaucratic in nature. Ships would certainly carry an EPIRB and probably a satellite phone--and the laws probably impose inspection requirements. I can easily imagine the law not distinguishing between the ship's gear and such devices being carried by passengers as such things didn't used to be things passengers would carry. Now, however, I find plenty of the more serious hikers I go with have some form of satellite communications.

Last edited by Loren Pechtel; Jun 3, 2019 at 11:32 pm
Old Jun 5, 2019, 6:51 am
Original Poster

we rafted the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago with 6 other couples, and 2 brought rented sat phones. One was to keep tabs on a sick parent. The other was for himself and his not so good heart. Any of the text communicators would have done what they needed. In doing research, the bulletin boards for back country aficionados really provided good information for me. Since we are doing Polar stuff soon, I went with the iridium network for mine. There are some worthwhile youtube comparisons out there.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond. American Airlines Platinum, Mariott: Gold. Delta: Gold
I have the inreach mini and i take it with me on every single trip without exception. When i am any where but in my hotel room it actually stays in my front pocket with a paracord string attached to my belt so it can't be dropped or lost and enough slack that i can hold it over my head if i am submerged in water while still staying tied to my belt. I carry it like this on dry land and on flights.....i would most certainly have it on me 100% of the time on a cruise ship. Not only is it an emergency locator beacon but in the event of a hurricaine, earth quake, massive fire, terrorist attack or possibly even a large world event where cell phone usage was high.....etc. it will be your only form of communication to loved ones and the only way to call for help if you need it period. I also pay the annual fee for the $100.000.00 (if i remember correctly) rescue and medical insurance that they offer globally.

Worth the $12 bucks a month for the subscription and if it gets confiscated ill just immediately buy another one.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Allentown
Not only is it an emergency locator beacon but in the event of a hurricaine, earth quake, massive fire, terrorist attack or possibly even a large world event where cell phone usage was high.....etc. it will be your only form of communication to loved ones and the only way to call for help if you need it period. I also pay the annual fee for the $100.000.00 (if i remember correctly) rescue and medical insurance that they offer globally.
actually does anyone know how iridium handles load? Have they experienced a large scale event (disaster, large regional blackout etc) that stresses their network?

The gen1 iridium supports 1100 concurrent calls per satellite at 2400bit/s, don't know the spec for the iridium next gen, or how these 'texting' devices behave (I expect them to continuously retry until they send our message, but how about receiving messages?)

​​​​
Old Jun 21, 2019, 6:41 am
Original Poster

I am currently using it in Iceland when my Google Fi doesn't work and heading north from here. I love this thing and will no longer travel without it. We use airmed insurance but will look at the Garmin product again. If you have enabled map share it turns out that those with access can message you if needed, from the map. I have it linked to my Pixel 3, so it pretty much is now a crucial travel gadget. And if mine got taken I would also just get another. They also have a newer model out, https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/623975/pn/010-02088-01?utm_source=Americas&utm_medium=Yarmouth-email&utm_campaign=inreach-consumer-newsletter&utm_content=BN

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.