Pixel 3A Anyone?

Old May 7, 19, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
Pixel 3A Anyone?

Is anyone going to be getting the 3A? I currently have a Pixel 1 but my battery is shoot. Am considering the Pixel 3A as a result.

Also, what is interesting is that if I buy the phone through the Google store I can get $100 credit to be used in the store and also $83 in a trade in value for my Pixel 1, however, if I go through Fi I can only get a $100 Fi credit and no trade-in...
Old May 7, 19, 6:06 pm

if you're on T-mobile - you can trade in a working pixel 1 and get $400 in trade-in/monthly credits towards a 3a (making it "free")

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-39883
Old May 8, 19, 3:36 am

Assuming it works as well in real life as the reviewers make it out to work, I'm planning on picking one up at some point when they go on sale. I suspect that since you can already get a $100 gift card from Google or Best Buy that they won't be too hard to score for $250 in a month or two. I've been using Nexus/Pixel phones since the Nexus 4 and am really glad to see Google selling their own mid-priced phone again. Android One versions of Motorola phones just don't cut it--between the crappy cameras and delayed updates they're a poor substitute for the real thing, even if the better battery life and MicroSD slot are nice.

Also, to answer a question you didn't ask, if you're handy with a hair dryer, guitar pick and suction cup, a $20 replacement battery makes a well-loved Pixel a much better phone.
Old May 8, 19, 4:48 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
>tfw $100 GC from Best Buy, $100 Google Play credit + $250 in trade-in value with any old iPhone (SE and up) if ordered from Google

That's some very aggressive pricing right there
Old May 12, 19, 6:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: None
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Assuming it works as well in real life as the reviewers make it out to work, I'm planning on picking one up at some point when they go on sale. I suspect that since you can already get a $100 gift card from Google or Best Buy that they won't be too hard to score for $250 in a month or two. I've been using Nexus/Pixel phones since the Nexus 4 and am really glad to see Google selling their own mid-priced phone again. Android One versions of Motorola phones just don't cut it--between the crappy cameras and delayed updates they're a poor substitute for the real thing, even if the better battery life and MicroSD slot are nice.

Also, to answer a question you didn't ask, if you're handy with a hair dryer, guitar pick and suction cup, a $20 replacement battery makes a well-loved Pixel a much better phone.
You really think it will go as low as $250? That would be a super deal.
Old May 13, 19, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post
You really think it will go as low as $250? That would be a super deal.
As aggressively as Google has discounted other phones (Nexus 5X, 6, Pixel 1, 2, 3, various Motorolas) once the launch hype wears off, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Fi selling them for $250 on some sort of special. Sure, you'd have to activate Fi, but you can cancel it the same day.
Old May 13, 19, 8:10 am

As aggressively as Google has discounted other phones (Nexus 5X, 6, Pixel 1, 2, 3, various Motorolas) once the launch hype wears off, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Fi selling them for $250 on some sort of special. Sure, you'd have to activate Fi, but you can cancel it the same day.
They would not sell it to you for $250. They would sell it for $400 but you get $150 in Fi credit so while you could cancel Fi the next day... you won't be able to take advantages of the credit.
Old May 13, 19, 12:38 pm

Pixel 3a is a good phone, my wife uses it when traveling. She says that he is more comfortable than the iPhone
Old May 13, 19, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Need View Post
They would not sell it to you for $250. They would sell it for $400 but you get $150 in Fi credit so while you could cancel Fi the next day... you won't be able to take advantages of the credit.
That's how T-Mobile and Verizon "discount" phones, but that's not how Fi discounts phones. Last month's half-price Pixel 3 was actually half price, so long as you activated it on Fi--but there's no minimum activation time. Same story with the discounted Motorolas, Pixel 1 and 2, etc. that they've done regularly over the past 2-3 years. See, for example, the current (relatively lame) discount on the Moto G7. When the 3a's been out a while I'm sure they'll run sales on it as well.
Old May 13, 19, 1:25 pm

That's how T-Mobile and Verizon "discount" phones, but that's not how Fi discounts phones. Last month's half-price Pixel 3 was actually half price, so long as you activated it on Fi--but there's no minimum activation time. Same story with the discounted Motorolas, Pixel 1 and 2, etc. that they've done regularly over the past 2-3 years. See, for example, the current (relatively lame) discount on the Moto G7. When the 3a's been out a while I'm sure they'll run sales on it as well.
That's how it was for my Pixel 3 XL. The phone was only discounted $200 off the $1000. But they gave me $800 in Fi credit. So even though the phone is free, I am stuck for the next 2 years with Fi LOL.
Old May 13, 19, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Yeah, the 5X was 30-40% off (ex. special colors) not that long after release.
Old May 14, 19, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Need View Post
That's how it was for my Pixel 3 XL. The phone was only discounted $200 off the $1000. But they gave me $800 in Fi credit. So even though the phone is free, I am stuck for the next 2 years with Fi LOL.
Ah yes, I forgot that they did that and last year's weird gift card sale as well. My old boss bought a P3 and got $800 in airline (WN I think) gift cards.

Hopefully they go back to old-school discounting for the 3a; I think $400 in Fi credit would last about 20 years at the rate I use it.
Old May 14, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: SkyTean, Star Alliance, HHonors
I got the same deal, only I went with DL credit. That was a 24 hour sale IIRC.

I'll have it all used up soon so my P3 was essentially free
Old May 14, 19, 3:06 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Anyone think the tariffs will affect discounting or pricing

Search this Thread