FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   whatsapp - what happens when I lose my phone number? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1967695-whatsapp-what-happens-when-i-lose-my-phone-number.html)

estnet Apr 30, 2019 8:28 pm

whatsapp - what happens when I lose my phone number?

I have Fi but what happens to whatsapp if I suspend my account but leave the same sim in?

1 I can still use whatsapp as the number has not been reassigned
2 I can't use whatsapp (until I reactivate my number)

3 What if I buy a local sim (which would have a different phone number) - could I use my existing wa account or would I need to create a new account with the new phone number? (and all my previous contacts would not be able to reach me as they would have me linked to my old number?)

mikew99 May 1, 2019 1:42 am

WhatsApp accounts are attached to the phone number, not the SIM. In my experience, WhatsApp continues to function until WhatsApp needs to verify the account; WhatsApp then sends a verification code to the attached phone number. Typically, WhatsApp asks me to verify my account whenever I reinstall WhatsApp or if it detects that I have configured WhatsApp with the same phone number on multiple devices simultaneously.

So you can continue to use your WhatsApp on the same device indefinitely, regardless of the phone number of the SIM card that is installed. However, if WhatsApp needs to verify your account for any reason, then you are stuck.

estnet May 1, 2019 2:10 am

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 31055207)
WhatsApp accounts are attached to the phone number, not the SIM. In my experience, WhatsApp continues to function until WhatsApp needs to verify the account; WhatsApp then sends a verification code to the attached phone number. Typically, WhatsApp asks me to verify my account whenever I reinstall WhatsApp or if it detects that I have configured WhatsApp with the same phone number on multiple devices simultaneously.

So you can continue to use your WhatsApp on the same device indefinitely, regardless of the phone number of the SIM card that is installed. However, if WhatsApp needs to verify your account for any reason, then you are stuck.

Thanks - I've never been asked to verify (I used a local sim in Vietnam but didn't use whatsapp when I was there) - so it sounds like I'd be safe while on Fi suspend and if I had a problem I could activate fi for a day then turn it off again.

LAXlocal May 1, 2019 8:35 am

Can you change your Fi number over to Google voice ?

Need May 1, 2019 10:06 am

Both ways are fine. You can keep using Whatsapp if it never asked your verify. If it asked, you could just switch to the new number on the app as long as you have the same device. When you insert a local sim to the phone, I think Whatsapp can see that you have a new SIM and auto switch you to the new number. It will even notify your Whatsapp groups that you got a new number.

der_saeufer May 1, 2019 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 31055207)

Exactly. You can continue to use WhatsApp no matter how many times you swap the SIM until you either verify that number on a different device or have to reinstall the app. The only time WhatsApp uses the SIM is on initial setup, it defaults to using that phone number (but you can change it--I have mine tied to a GV number).

If you use a Fi number, be sure to have the SIM and you can just un-suspend it for a day if you have to replace or reset your phone.

estnet May 1, 2019 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 31056165)
Can you change your Fi number over to Google voice ?

No b/c google voice defaults to Fi now and I wasn't smart enough to get a gv number before I ported my regular number to fi :(

der_saeufer May 2, 2019 5:12 am

Assuming the number is eligible for GV (i.e. bandwidth.com exists in the rate center), you can do it, but it's a pain. Because you can't have Fi and GV on the same account, you need two Google accounts. We'll call the one you use Fi with "A" and the other "B".
  1. Cancel Fi. When cancelling, have the number ported to GV.
  2. Once the number is ported to GV with account A, transfer it to account B.
  3. Sign back up for Fi with account A and request a new number.
Alternatively, cancel Fi and port to GV, then just sign up for Fi with account B as a new customer.

You're then able to use both numbers by logging your phone into both accounts.

LAXlocal May 2, 2019 11:11 am

I have my WhatsApp account on my Google Voice number ,
I tried to do the same with Viper but the same number was not accepted.

I do not like WhatsApp , unless you let them use your contact list I have not been able to just message a number , there is not a dial pad !

I also have Wechat and LINE which many people in Asia use.

estnet May 2, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 31059205)
Assuming the number is eligible for GV (i.e. bandwidth.com exists in the rate center), you can do it, but it's a pain. Because you can't have Fi and GV on the same account, you need two Google accounts. We'll call the one you use Fi with "A" and the other "B".
  1. Cancel Fi. When cancelling, have the number ported to GV.
  2. Once the number is ported to GV with account A, transfer it to account B.
  3. Sign back up for Fi with account A and request a new number.
Alternatively, cancel Fi and port to GV, then just sign up for Fi with account B as a new customer.

You're then able to use both numbers by logging your phone into both accounts.

Thanks I may try this later - the problem is that I have a x00 usd credit on Fi (due to a promotion) that I will lose if I cancel Fi. So when the credit is used up I'll try this. I did open a new google account (a while ago) and tried to get a gv # associated this account but it recognized I already had Fi and wouldn't let me get a new number :(

der_saeufer May 3, 2019 3:06 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31061943)
Thanks I may try this later - the problem is that I have a x00 usd credit on Fi (due to a promotion) that I will lose if I cancel Fi. So when the credit is used up I'll try this. I did open a new google account (a while ago) and tried to get a gv # associated this account but it recognized I already had Fi and wouldn't let me get a new number :(

As often as they run promotions, use up the credit and sign up for a new Fi account with your other Google account when they're running a new promo :D

We're still using up the $80 "free month" credit that came with buying my wife's Moto x4 a year ago :cool: (we suspend it unless one of us is in the US)

Need May 3, 2019 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31061943)

Yeah you cannot attach a GV number to a Fi mobile number. When you port your number to Fi, it will actually tell you that your mobile number has a GV number attached to it and you will lose it unless you transfer it out. It gives your instruction to create a new Gmail account and transfer that GV number out to the new account. Then after the port to Fi, you have both numbers. Now if you need a new GV mobile number, you need to find another mobile number to attach to it.

SamanthaD May 7, 2019 9:33 am

does WhatsUp use the possibility to terminate active sessions remotely ?

ng1265 May 15, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by SamanthaD (Post 31076013)
does WhatsUp use the possibility to terminate active sessions remotely ?

Only Whatsapp Web sessions AFAIK

estnet May 17, 2019 8:59 am

In case anyone wants feedback - whats app seems to be fine

1) paused Fi - whatsapp works fine
2) changed sim to local (thai) sim - whatsapp works fine :)

tentseller May 17, 2019 8:20 pm

I have used WhatsApp with the same handset in the following countries with local SIM or a regional multi-country SIM within the last three months, It was seamless. Pop the SIM in, maybe change APN and full WhatsApp functionality.

Hong Kong, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan, S Korea, Canada, US, UK

estnet May 18, 2019 12:26 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 31112976)
I have used WhatsApp with the same handset in the following countries with local SIM or a regional multi-country SIM within the last three months, It was seamless. Pop the SIM in, maybe change APN and full WhatsApp functionality.

Hong Kong, Philippines, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Taiwan, Japan, S Korea, Canada, US, UK

Good to know - lucky I didn't have to change apn - if you did what apn did u use (or was that sim specific)?

tentseller May 18, 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 31113328)
Good to know - lucky I didn't have to change apn - if you did what apn did u use (or was that sim specific)?

It is a network setting in your handset to connect to the right server for data, they are SIM specific.
Some SIM will automatically set it when you restart after inserting the new SIM, some you need to do it manually.

It has nothing to do with WhatsApp.