Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the point of an iPad stylus?

Old Apr 25, 19, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.

I just received a stylus for my iPad 6. It is NOT an Apple Pencil, just a stylus with a USB port for charging.

Question: as far as I can tell I can use it for drawing/writing freehand without turning it on. So what is he point of the charging port? There is no bluetooth involved... what does this thing do exactly that a chopstick canít do?
Old Apr 25, 19, 10:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Have you actually tried a chopstick on an iPad?
Old Apr 25, 19, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
iPads have a capacitive screen. It responds to current conducted through your finger or a stylus. However, it doesn't just respond to current. It requires that current to be over an area more or less the size of a fingertip. If you touch it with something smaller such as a stylus nib, it needs extra current to fake a touch over a larger area. In most styli, that current comes from a rechargeable battery. That's what you charge via this port.

A chopstick, aside from its point being too small to work without additional current, doesn't conduct electricity - unless your chopsticks are made of metal. Mine aren't.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
What Efrem said.
Yay for tech when our hands can get shaky.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
Have you actually tried a chopstick on an iPad?
Admittedly, I have not

Thank you all for the answers, I think I get it now. Or at least, it makes more sense.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 19, 9:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
...A chopstick, aside from its point being too small to work without additional current, doesn't conduct electricity - unless your chopsticks are made of metal. Mine aren't.
FYI - Using metal chopsticks as replacements for a lost stylus results in significant wear and deterioration of the screen.
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
FYI - Using metal chopsticks as replacements for a lost stylus results in significant wear and deterioration of the screen.
Is this the voice of experience we hear?
Old Apr 26, 19, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Ö.But one can also use inexpensive styluses (or styli) that are available on Amazon, eBay, etc. They have a soft tip that sort of mimics a fingertip and doesn't require any current. That's what I use on my iPad and other devices (such as, formerly, my iPod Touch, and at present, my smartphone).
Old Apr 28, 19, 10:16 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Is this the voice of experience we hear?
Not on my own. Visited one of our R&D facilities in Seoul one time to learn this fact, as I wondered why the beautiful Fujistus' screens were all torn up in that, and only that, particular lab.
Old Apr 28, 19, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just realized that the answer to the question posed in the thread title is "The end that touches the screen when you use it."
TheMadBrewer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 19, 9:06 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I just realized that the answer to the question posed in the thread title is "The end that touches the screen when you use it."
Love it, channeling your inner Airplane. "A hospital? What is it?" "It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now."
kennycrudup likes this.

Search this Thread