Verizon Call Filter

Old Apr 3, 19, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Verizon Call Filter

Has anyone tried Verizon's newly free spam call filtering service and app? I just added the free version to my account and downloaded the app, but I can't get the app to work. It asks for my phone number "to validate your account". When I enter my number and tap Continue, it just blanks out my entry and shows me the same screen over and over. Has anyone else tried?
Old Apr 3, 19, 8:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Has anyone tried Verizon's newly free spam call filtering service and app? I just added the free version to my account and downloaded the app, but I can't get the app to work. It asks for my phone number "to validate your account". When I enter my number and tap Continue, it just blanks out my entry and shows me the same screen over and over. Has anyone else tried?
I just did the same as you and was not prompted for a phone number. The service is active on my account and when I went to download the app, I was prompted to enable it. It then indicated that an update was available, which I installed. I'm on Android (Note 8) and I'm sure it was among the pre-installed apps on my phone I had disabled.
Old Apr 4, 19, 1:23 am

Not sure about the free version. I've been using the $3/month service for a few months and it's "OK." No false positives that I know of. I have it set to the most restrictive setting, and it blocks a couple of calls a week. A few others are marked as likely spam but are still passed through. Why? More and more, I'm leaning towards shutting off the $3 service and just permitting calls from contacts, all else to VM. On my iPhone, that requires a permanent "do not disturb" setting, which has other implications.

Last edited by boberonicus; Apr 4, 19 at 2:55 am
Old Apr 5, 19, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver, Hertz President's Circle
The free service and app does nothing at all about the most common kind of unsolicited call: The spoofed local number.
OceanAir likes this.
Old Apr 5, 19, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
The free service and app does nothing at all about the most common kind of unsolicited call: The spoofed local number.
Agreed. I was told the paid version would not work when I switched to eSIM, so I downloaded the free version last week or so, with very little noticeable impact in actually eliminating anything. I'm tempted to change to an out of area code where I don't know anyone just to I can more quickly/easily identify robo and scam callers.

Search this Thread