FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Carrying a mini-PC through the airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1961985-carrying-mini-pc-through-airport.html)

StuckInYYZ Mar 21, 2019 9:57 pm

Carrying a mini-PC through the airport

Hey everyone.

Wondering if anyone has tried carrying a NUC / mini-PC through North American or Asian airports. It's not really something I can power up to prove it's a functional computer to the security guys. And carrying a small electronic black box might freak out security a bit...

I'm trying to avoid carrying two laptops to places where I need to work.

Thanks.

kennycrudup Mar 22, 2019 1:44 am

FWIW, I have a laptop bag that's chock-full of a lot of different kinds of electronics, and sometimes I travel with one of my clients' boards-in-development; at least in the CONUS they may want to examine or swab it, but they've never freaked out about it, nor asked to power it up.

freecia Mar 22, 2019 2:07 pm

I've packed a compute stick in a carry-on without issues.

If you are going to India, you might want double check their duty free import restrictions as one personal laptop is allowed duty free. Not sure if they group that with a desktop/NUC.

StuckInYYZ Mar 23, 2019 4:06 am

Thanks everyone. I've had to power up one of my laptops in ORD. and once at PEK. Wasn't a biggy but trying to prove that this little metal box is a legit computer might be a challenge.

tentseller Mar 25, 2019 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ (Post 30919792)
Thanks everyone. I've had to power up one of my laptops in ORD. and once at PEK. Wasn't a biggy but trying to prove that this little metal box is a legit computer might be a challenge.

FWIW I haven't been asked to power up a computer at security for at least the last 10 years.

I travel with the same setup as you plus a WD Passport wireless pro and Sandisk portable SSD. But I do carry the AC adapter (mini) with the 6inX6inX1.5in unit.
I have almost the same monitor/KB/peripherals setup at my two major cities at home-office and business office. I carry a Lenovo Mii700 to cover all the other needs.

I also pack these items so that when they go in the scanner they are not one on top of another church for easy reading by the operator. I have been ask what they were .and the item was either rescanned by itself or swabbed.

Happy travels
TS, No Longer stuck at YYZ

devans999 Mar 27, 2019 8:35 am

I've traveled with a NUC a couple of times in my carryon bag, domestically, using precheck. Nobody ever asked to look at it.

StuckInYYZ Mar 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30930056)
FWIW I haven't been asked to power up a computer at security for at least the last 10 years.

I travel with the same setup as you plus a WD Passport wireless pro and Sandisk portable SSD. But I do carry the AC adapter (mini) with the 6inX6inX1.5in unit.
I have almost the same monitor/KB/peripherals setup at my two major cities at home-office and business office. I carry a Lenovo Mii700 to cover all the other needs.

I also pack these items so that when they go in the scanner they are not one on top of another church for easy reading by the operator. I have been ask what they were .and the item was either rescanned by itself or swabbed.

Happy travels
TS, No Longer stuck at YYZ

Originally Posted by devans999 (Post 30935205)
I've traveled with a NUC a couple of times in my carryon bag, domestically, using precheck. Nobody ever asked to look at it.

[2nd attempt, first attempt got eaten by FT]

I also carry a WD Passport, although it is in a pocket at the top of my back pack so easily retrievable and testable. Unfortunately a NUC is not without a monitor. Was hoping the NUC would be easier, but thinking it through, it looks like it should be, but....

Now gotta decide between that or two laptops...

Thanks.

chx1975 Mar 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Yeah, that's what I arrive to every time myself too, laptops are too powerful these days... there are things a desktop can do a laptop can't but you are not cramming a HEDT system into a mini PC, that's for sure.

StuckInYYZ Mar 31, 2019 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975 (Post 30946974)
Yeah, that's what I arrive to every time myself too, laptops are too powerful these days... there are things a desktop can do a laptop can't but you are not cramming a HEDT system into a mini PC, that's for sure.

For my purposes, it can go either way. I just have a NUC handy which I can repurpose and hook up to a hotel TV. While you can do the same with most laptops, there are a few niggling details that bug me. Ah well, decisions decisions...