Tech tips for visitors to Hong Kong and Singapore

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tech tips for visitors to Hong Kong and Singapore

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
That may have been me, or at least I was part of that discussion. I just picked up a new one for USB C as well and verified that my Anker PD1 Atom works very well for charging my MBP at about 1/3 the size of the Apple 65W adapter. I also recently got my kickstarter Piri charger that shows the iPhone pulling 2.4A on it's internal meter, so next is to measure that externally for accuracy. And yeah, it's amazing just how different two seemingly identical cables can be... which is why I usually only buy the Apple ones these days, unless it's one of those things where I simply have no other option and need it ASAP.
I suspect that depends on a combination of the purity of the copper inside the cable and the gauge (and length) of the cable. The impedance of the cheaper cable would likely cause the cable to convert some of the power to heat... doesn't necessarily have to be noticeable, but the heat would release slowly. Apple would tend to use higher quality cabling for their product (although I find their cables too easy to break). I find for USB 2.0 cables, there is definitely quality differences as well so lightning cables would not surprise me.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 1:29 pm

I never got Airplay working in Singapore or Hong Kong. I tried in so many hotels...
How do you get your videos onto the hotel tv screen? What kind of adaptor is it on your picture (to hdmi), or is it for sound only?

thanks a lot in advance!
Old May 21, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Aeroflot Bonus, British Airways Executive Club
Originally Posted by User Name
Power banks are forbidden from checked luggage, but are ok to carry and use in the cabin.
FA told me not to use the power banks inside the cabin (if I remember correctly it was China Southern), and it was mentioned on the safety regulation on some airlines.

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
Just wanted to add some commentary...

Pro-Tip for #3 ...

If you are using a North American plug (2 or 3 prong) on an airplane and the plug seems loose, try inserting a UK style adapter (the 3 rectanguar pins) and then inserting your NA based plug into the adapter. Generally you get a bit more stability.

As for power banks... 2-3 8-10k mAH power banks are more effective than a single 20+k mAH power bank. Power banks in general charge VERY slowly. There are some fast charging ones out there, but they tend to cost more. Depending on how much you drain from them, they can take more than 8-12 hours to charge up (and this is at 10k...at 20k, good luck) You could easily end up with a partially drained power bank moving around. I use 2-3 of the 10k power banks (depending on situation) when I travel. Sure during transit it weighs a bit more, but then I can often leave one charging at all times during travel so I have a fully charged one with me at all times.

One other thing. I usually have one of those cheap ikea or dollar store power bars in my luggage. Depending on the hotel, some of the rooms are REALLY poorly designed for accessing power for multiple devices. If I'm likely to encounter limited numbers of sockets, I'll plug in a power bar into the local adapter so I can charge multiple devices. I use the cheap ones because they often do not have a circuit breaker. The power bars that do often are not designed for 240v systems (even if your device does). The circuit breakers on those power bars will trip.

As to your entertainment/english in the background, I usually load up my laptop with sufficient entertainment to last my trip. Wifi might not be available (or affordable) depending on where you stay. In your case, with the Surface/LTE, I'd stream audio at the very least. (I have one other suggestion, but I will put it in the other thread).

Also, most large hotels I know of (especially in Singapore or HK) would have some english channels at the very least that you can tune into.... whether it is BBC, CNN, Bloomberg, MSNBC or Channel News Asia. Or if you are using LTE, you can also stream stations over the internet if you don't have Wifi.
Isn't 20k mAh over the legal limit such that it will be confiscated at security?!
Old May 21, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by SebFra
I never got Airplay working in Singapore or Hong Kong. I tried in so many hotels...
How do you get your videos onto the hotel tv screen? What kind of adaptor is it on your picture (to hdmi), or is it for sound only?

thanks a lot in advance!
I bring my own 6ft HDMI cable and Apple's Lightning Digital AV adapter. This way, I can livestream the TiVo app from my iPad.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by miklcct
FA told me not to use the power banks inside the cabin (if I remember correctly it was China Southern), and it was mentioned on the safety regulation on some airlines.

Isn't 20k mAh over the legal limit such that it will be confiscated at security?!
For FAA (aka USA flights), up to two 100Whr batteries are allowed as carryon, 160Whr requires airline approval

100Whr is 26k mAh at 3.8V nominal - most batteries are advertised as mAh not Whr, ideally you want one that displays both on the device in case TSA/security decides to be picky

for intl, depends on airline and local authorities. Unfortunately, there are a lot of reports of airports in China confiscating portable batteries during securityscreening , irregardless if whether it's labeled under 100Whr (china authorities follow same rule as FAA, allow under 100Whr, 160Whr needs airline approval)
Old May 24, 2019, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by miklcct

As has been mentioned by another poster, 20k mAH is not over the legal limit. I just dislike using a single power bank vs 2x 10k due to charging times. A lot of the newer ones charge faster, but they do cost more.

As for power banks inside the cabin, it shouldn't be an issue. Keep in mind, until recently, most China-based airlines did not allow the use of cellphones / handphones in-flight. That MAY include just charging it. This is likely what you encountered (depending on when you did this). Most of those airlines now have the choice instead of a fixed "cannot use" rule. The funny thing is that you could use a tablet without issue, but not a phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.