Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Bluetooth Earpiece with Podcast Controls?

Old Mar 13, 19, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus, Nexus, Global Entry

I'm looking for a single-ear bluetooth earpiece that has "podcast skip" controls. My Android podcast app has a button in the UI that skips ahead (and back) 30 seconds (for skipping ads) and when I have the phone bluetooth-paired with my minvan's audio system I can press "skip" (forward / back) on the car's bluetooth audio controls and the same thing happens - The audio skips forward / back 30 seconds.

I'm not looking for 2-ear earbuds or headphones - Looking for an earpiece I can put in one ear that has these controls on it.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Why? Because I'd like to listen to podcasts in my 30-year-old convertible that I only drive in the summer. In British Columbia, while driving, you're only allowed to have something in *one* ear and you're not allowed to touch your phone. I know I could probably MacGyver a bluetooth receiver and FM transmitter in the car, but it would just get immediately stolen from the convertible.

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 19, 4:43 am

Sorry in advance for not actually answering your question... but I'd actually just use a BT/FM setup; I have this one:
Amazon Amazon
which has forward/backward controls on it (long-press the volume buttons). The built-in microphone is trash, so I wouldn't use it for phone calls. Fine for navigation, music or podcasts, though. Sound quality is what you'd expect for an FM setup--not great, but not terrible as long as your car has a decent antenna. It's small enough to hide or take with you, doesn't need charging like an earpiece would, and it's only $15. There are plenty of other options out there as well, many with better controls and quality.
Old Mar 19, 19, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
I have this one
Thanks for the suggestion - Something like that is my fallback.

I didn't get into it in my post, but my other reason for an "earpiece" is so I can have it in my ear in bed with the other ear on a pillow
Old Mar 28, 19, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Just thought I'd reply back to my own post and let you know I found a product that works in case someone else is looking for something similar one day:

Link Dream Wireless Bluetooth Earpiece V4.1

Amazon Amazon

I paid $27 CAD

Long-pressing volume up skips ahead in my podcast app, long-pressing volume down skips back.

(My podcast app is Podcast Republic for Android - It has settings that allow you to define what the bluetooth controls do.)

It's much smaller than the Amazon pictures would lead you to believe, which is fine by me.
der_saeufer likes this.

Search this Thread