Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

can I install Windows 7 on a newish laptop?

Old Feb 28, 19, 6:08 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !

Got a new laptop a few months ago to replace the Samsung S7 which had lasted >5 years (keyboard went, and then display...). It's an Asus Zenbook, i3-8130, 4GB, 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10. Which I just can't get to grips with.

Looking at the Asus website, they only seem to offer drivers for Windows 10 - can I install Windows 7 onto this?

[and I have tried a google search but all the answers seem rather technical]
thanks
Old Feb 28, 19, 8:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

It may be worth installing a Windows 7 shell on Windows 10 to give you the old look and feel. Windows 7 will no longer be supported after January 2020.

I used https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/ when I got a new machine for my Dad (who hated Win10 as much as I do). It only costs a few £/$.

There was also Classic Shell which was a free version that did the same thing. However, this is not maintained anymore, but there seems to be another version called Open-Shell.

It's worth trying these out to see they take the pain away from Win 10.
Old Feb 28, 19, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, National Executive
Be aware that as of the “Kaby Lake” generation of Intel processors, there are no drivers for anything older than Windows 10 at the CPU level. Yours is an “8th generation (Kaby Lake)” processor.
Old Feb 28, 19, 1:23 pm

You could always install Win 7 under VMWare, and just keep the virtual machine open full screen all of the time.
Old Feb 28, 19, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Give Start10 a shot - it's $5. I used it on top of the abomination that was Windows 8 to keep the Start Menu and many of the previous constructs. As I migrated to 10, I kept in on my machine, so I can't really tell you what it has that 10 doesn't offer.

But I know the "Recent Items" menu item is used constantly and I couldn't find it on Win10 native.

Especially if Win7 is a no-go, as posted above.
DYKWIA likes this.
Old Mar 1, 19, 1:46 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Thanks all.

It's actually more things like the auto-updating which is driving me bananas with W10, so running Openshell/Start10 etc won't do enough (ime) to make a difference.

Running w10 under vmware is an option, but I slightly worry that I'm ending up with a tech-heavy solution and I wanted simple - I can do a fresh w7 install okay, and that was really my favoured route.

I actually got back 60GB yesterday on a disk clean by removing old Windows update files and compressing the OS - given I can't just put w7 on this, then I think that I'll stick with w10.
Old Mar 4, 19, 10:34 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
Be aware that as of the “Kaby Lake” generation of Intel processors, there are no drivers for anything older than Windows 10 at the CPU level. Yours is an “8th generation (Kaby Lake)” processor.
We bludgeoned Windows 7 on to Kaby Lake hardware because of an absurd vendor issue. It took a lot of trial and error but it is basically working.

Search this Thread