Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Laptop AC adapter exceeds Power Plug? 135W?

Laptop AC adapter exceeds Power Plug? 135W?

Old Feb 27, 19, 4:49 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 408
Laptop AC adapter exceeds Power Plug? 135W?

Hello,

I fly United which has the power plugs between the seats on most Economy Plus flights. The light on the plug is green when it's ready for power. A second or two after plugging in my laptop adapter, the light goes completely off. The laptop has a 135W power adapter which is on the higher side, so I'm wondering if this is somehow exceeding the power limits of those seat plugs?

If it is exceeding it, is there any way for me to get some level of power to my HP laptop on flights?

Thanks!
alchemista is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:36 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,477
Consolidated "In Seat Power Issues/Experiences/Questions"

looks like 75W is the limit.

did you connect charger to computer before plugging into the seat outlet? if not, wondering how much surge the charger uses to cause the outlet to cut

you have two options

1) test your luck with a lower wattage charger -
hopefully the initial surge doesn't cause the outlet to cut. your laptop may charge slower (or just drain slower, or not charge at all? depends)

2) buy something like this (you need to hunt for one that supports outputting 135W)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...supply-so-far/

note that it will be heavy, capacity must be under 100watts and it CANNOT travel in the aircraft hold (aka if you are forced to gate-check your carryon, you must hand-carry the portable battery onto plane)

3) (maybe) - HP (and Dell and Lenovo) sells their own custom portable charger, but likely your laptop draws too much power and isn't supported

eg:
Amazon Amazon
paperwastage is online now  
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:38 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Consolidated "In Seat Power Issues/Experiences/Questions"

looks like 75W is the limit.

did you connect charger to computer before plugging into the seat outlet? if not, wondering how much surge the charger uses to cause the outlet to cut

you have two options

1) test your luck with a lower wattage charger -
hopefully the initial surge doesn't cause the outlet to cut. your laptop may charge slower (or just drain slower, or not charge at all? depends)

2) buy something like this (you need to hunt for one that supports outputting 135W)
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/th...supply-so-far/

note that it will be heavy, capacity must be under 100watts and it CANNOT travel in the aircraft hold (aka if you are forced to gate-check your carryon, you must hand-carry the portable battery onto plane)

3) (maybe) - HP (and Dell and Lenovo) sells their own custom portable charger, but likely your laptop draws too much power and isn't supported

eg: https://www.amazon.com/Envy-15t-3200.../dp/B00M0Z8CF8
thanks. Yes, I did try it both ways, plugging laptop first and charger first.

wouldn't that 100w charger have the same issue if 75w is max rating?
alchemista is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 7:40 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,477
Originally Posted by alchemista View Post
thanks. Yes, I did try it both ways, plugging laptop first and charger first.

wouldn't that 100w charger have the same issue if 75w is max rating?
maybe? or find a 75w charger?
paperwastage is online now  
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:57 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 31,443
The curse of carrying a high power laptop. It's not going to work on the plane unless you carry batteries--and if you're talking a long flight you'll need a supply of them because you have to stay under 100Wh per battery.
Loren Pechtel is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 12:30 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Posts: 2,016
Give us a laptop type. Note the charger the manufacturer ships with is almost always overkill. People had success with charging the ThinkPad X1 Extreme with various USB C chargers despite it ships with a 135W and USB C tops out at 100W. I regularly charge my ThinkPad 25 with the 45W Mu One despite it shipped with a 65W charger. https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/25/60w-u...-all-macbooks/ tested 60W vs 87W for a Macbook Pro and the results are clear: "after an hour and a half the 87W charger offered 4% more battery" and after that both only outputted 40W.

Of course, if you are going to Furmark your laptop on the plane this won't work. I know some people pushed the X1 Extreme to consume 111W. But that's still quite far from the 135W it ships with.
chx1975 is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 2:39 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 408
Originally Posted by chx1975 View Post
Give us a laptop type. Note the charger the manufacturer ships with is almost always overkill. People had success with charging the ThinkPad X1 Extreme with various USB C chargers despite it ships with a 135W and USB C tops out at 100W. I regularly charge my ThinkPad 25 with the 45W Mu One despite it shipped with a 65W charger. https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/25/60w-u...-all-macbooks/ tested 60W vs 87W for a Macbook Pro and the results are clear: "after an hour and a half the 87W charger offered 4% more battery" and after that both only outputted 40W.

Of course, if you are going to Furmark your laptop on the plane this won't work. I know some people pushed the X1 Extreme to consume 111W. But that's still quite far from the 135W it ships with.
It's an HP Pavilion Gaming laptop model 15-cx0058wm
alchemista is offline  
Old Mar 2, 19, 3:37 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YVR
Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Posts: 2,016
So a standard HP plug. Try a 90W charger? https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-90...g6h45aa-aba--1 or to save a bit on weight, https://usb.brando.com/acbel-ultra-s...c0046d015.html AcBel has a surprisingly small and light 90W and it's two prongs which makes it significantly easier to convert internationally.
chx1975 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread