Censorship in HK?

Old Feb 20, 19, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Giants Ballpark Pass. Lifetime Ambassador Club. WN A+/CP, AS MVP, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum.
Censorship in HK?

I lived in HK for a number of years, and return two to four times per year. Visiting earlier this month I was quite surprised that my VPN was blocked and a bunch of the internet (e.g. Facebook) behaved strangely.

Was not looking at anything more controversial than the New York Times or Wikipedia. Was a super bummer that I could not use my US Netflix account due to lack of bandwidth. The most surprising thing was that T-mobile WiFi Calling was blocked; I know it was not my phone because it worked flawlessly in the lounge at NRT on the way home.

Were my devices behaving unfortunately, or are some of the mainland rules starting to apply in the SAR?
Old Feb 20, 19, 11:22 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
No problem for me FB, Google etc in HK.

I am able to use Netflix using ExpressVPN.
dragonman likes this.
Old Feb 20, 19, 11:41 pm

Programs: AC E50K, AS MVP, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Delta/Marriott/SPG Plat, UA Gold
Wikipedia works in the PRC, even.
Old Feb 21, 19, 7:05 am

Programs: BA LTG GGL CCR, SQ TPPS, CX DM, AA Plat 2MM
Never had any issues... you sure it wasn't where you are staying blocking things?
Old Mar 5, 19, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVPG 75K, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Even without VPN, I never had any of those problems, in HK.

Search this Thread