Apple Brings Back SE under Clearance.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Brings Back SE under Clearance.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
It's a relatively expensive choice, and it's got tons of features you'll never use, for a phone that you keep off and in the car most of the time.

Actually, a flip phone would be a better option because of the superior battery life, if the power is out for days at a time.
This seems like a perfect use case for the new Nokia 3310. Standby time measured in weeks, and fifty bucks on Amazon.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
This seems like a perfect use case for the new Nokia 3310. Standby time measured in weeks, and fifty bucks on Amazon.
They made a new phone that only supports 2G? Most carriers are going to be shutting down their 2G networks in the next couple years.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They made a new phone that only supports 2G? Most carriers are going to be shutting down their 2G networks in the next couple years.
They have both 2G and 3G models. The 2G models (which is what the link above was to) are only sold in countries where it makes sense - which as you've implied doesn't include the US or many other countries.

This is the 3G models - https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-3310-3g
Old Feb 25, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by docbert
They have both 2G and 3G models. The 2G models (which is what the link above was to) are only sold in countries where it makes sense - which as you've implied doesn't include the US or many other countries.

This is the 3G models - https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_us/nokia-3310-3g
Interesting. I thought nobody worldwide was still deploying 2G or 3G networks and everyone has gone to LTE. Guess not.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Interesting. I thought nobody worldwide was still deploying 2G or 3G networks and everyone has gone to LTE.
No one is, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the number of people calling their phones "GSM" or looking for a "GSM-unlocked" phone on the internet. These people just can't fathom GSM is a dead, outdated 2G technology shutting down all over the world. UMTS/HSPA is next up on the chopping block...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:32 pm

Interesting. I thought nobody worldwide was still deploying 2G or 3G networks and everyone has gone to LTE. Guess not.
Nobody's building them out except perhaps in very low-income countries, but not everyone--even in the rich world--is replacing them yet.

Originally Posted by msp3
No one is, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the number of people calling their phones "GSM" or looking for a "GSM-unlocked" phone on the internet. These people just can't fathom GSM is a dead, outdated 2G technology shutting down all over the world. UMTS/HSPA is next up on the chopping block...
In the developing world, there are still tons of places without much (or any) LTE coverage--especially in places where income levels are low enough that Nokia thinks the $15ish you save on the 2G version is worth people's time.

Back to the topic of this thread (sorta) my iPhone SE in Belgium finally got to use VoLTE for the first time late last year, and the other two networks don't even have VoLTE yet. Unsurprisingly, there's not even a planned shutoff date for the GSM/EDGE networks here; it's looking like some countries may leave GSM/EDGE alive even after the 3G networks are shut down in the next 5ish years.

I still wouldn't buy one just to keep in the car, but the iPhone SE is sort of a unique phone--it's certainly showing its age now but it's still the only sub-5" smartphone that's not a total [expletive]box. In the Android world, the only phones that small are either weird not-really-phones or $30 sketchy Chinese phones running Android 6.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by msp3
To a lot of people, GSM is the opposite of "whatever the hell it is that Verizon uses". A phone is either GSM and works on T-Mobile and AT&T, or it's non-GSM and works on Verizon and Sprint.

Whilst that's obviously not even close to true in the LTE days, it was still a reasonable approximation for the truth in the "3G" days.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
A phone is either GSM and works on T-Mobile and AT&T, or it's non-GSM and works on Verizon and Sprint.

Whilst that's obviously not even close to true in the LTE days, it was still a reasonable approximation for the truth in the "3G" days.
Not necessarily. My Verizon Global phone works on any network, CDMA, GSM, UMTS, HSPA+ and LTE.

You'd be surprised how many places in the world do not have reliable LTE service.
Craig6z and msp3 like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:04 pm

Even my home in Silicon Valley does not have reliable LTE service
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by davie355
Same, and I could probably throw a rock and hit some of the outlying offices of most of the FAANGs. Gotta be good old Cali NIMBYism.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:22 pm
jg3

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Originally Posted by davie355
Heck, Connecticut here with the same freaking issue.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
To a lot of people, GSM is the opposite of "whatever the hell it is that Verizon uses". A phone is either GSM and works on T-Mobile and AT&T, or it's non-GSM and works on Verizon and Sprint.

GSM (Global System for Mobile communications) is a standard developed by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) to describe the protocols for second-generation (2G) digital cellular networks. AT&T no longer supports 2G. QED AT&T does not support classic GSM; it has been dead for more than 2 years.... T-Mobile 2G/GSM is on life support.

Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM
Source - https://about.att.com/innovationblog/2g_sunset
Source - https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/143870
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Not sure what your point is, @timfountain, but in the US @docbert had it right; (and especially a few years back) you either bought a "GSM" phone or a "Sprint/Verizon" one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.