Wiki Posts
Search

Apple Brings Back SE under Clearance.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:14 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Apple Brings Back SE under Clearance.

I've been searching for a Iphone SE as a secondary phone to keep in our car. All I could find were refurbs on 3rd party sites. Yesterday this popped up on the Apple website. They appear to be new and unopened even though they are listed under the Refurb section.

https://www.apple.com/shop/refurbished/clearance/iphone
Tanic likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I'll bite. Why does one need a special phone to keep in the car? Don't you carry a phone with you anyway?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$250 vs $450 iphone7
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, it's been popping up periodically

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe.../#461a34e648bd
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe.../#2d9241b4ea80

I still think there's a market for a smaller iPhone, though I'd go with 6-8 sized, not 5/SE sized.

$300 for 128GB is a great deal for someone with small hands or a text/email machine that won't be used to watch Netflix all day. They have the A9 of the 6s, so I would expect them to be supported for 2 more cycles (until iOS15 in late 2021)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

One thing to keep in mind with SE or older phones in general: they won’t support the newest LTE bands so you may miss out on signal or speed.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by david55
All I could find were refurbs on 3rd party sites.
There is no such thing as refurbished Apple products from reseller scumbags. They're ALL *used*, salvaged with broken/stolen parts, financed/blacklisted and tied to deadbeat accounts that some crook has picked up for pennies on the dollar and are now trying to flip selling for just under MSRP and making a killing each time. Seller "refurbished" (especially if volume seller) = USED and very often = scam!
They appear to be new and unopened even though they are listed under the Refurb section.
Apple (on that very specific refurbished page) is the only legit place to buy refurbished Apple products. No exceptions (except some local Apple Stores are now selling refurbished Mac minis, YMMV).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
OK, I'll bite. Why does one need a special phone to keep in the car? Don't you carry a phone with you anyway?
This struck me too. I already have a special phone that I keep in my car. It's called my phone.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
This struck me too. I already have a special phone that I keep in my car. It's called my phone.
We own two cell phones.... one we keep in the house for power outages (outages can last for days where we live) when our voip phone goes out and one we keep in our car for emergencies on the road. We have never " carried" a cell phone around on our person using them like most people. if someone needs to reach us they can wait until we get home or we forward our voip to the cell phone in the car.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
If you use mobile phones in such a manner (i.e. only for when the power goes out at home or for car emergencies), why does it need to be an iPhone? It would seem that a cheap Android, or even a flip-phone, would be plenty for such a use case.
DenverBrian, HMPS, König and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Steve M; Feb 22, 2019 at 7:23 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
We have never " carried" a cell phone around on our person using them like most people.
Time to start?
Old Feb 22, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Steve M
It would seem that a cheap Andriod, or even a flip-phone, would be plenty for such a use case.
RAZR !!!!!!!

fwiw, refurbish simply means to clean and repair. Apple would be the only place to buy Certified Refurbished devices.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
If you use mobile phones in such a manner (i.e. only for when the power goes out at home or for car emergencies), why does it need to be an iPhone? It would seem that a cheap Android, or even a flip-phone, would be plenty for such a use case.
Why not an iphone? Not sure I get the significance of suggesting what kind of phone I should own.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not an iphone? Not sure I get the significance of suggesting what kind of phone I should own.
It's a relatively expensive choice, and it's got tons of features you'll never use, for a phone that you keep off and in the car most of the time.

Actually, a flip phone would be a better option because of the superior battery life, if the power is out for days at a time.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:21 pm

The only problem with iPhone in the car is how hot/cold the weather is. iOS is super protective on temperature. It would be sad if you came back to your car when it is 90 degree outside (140+ inside) and you car won't start. You take out the phone to call AAA and turn it on and you get the "iPhone needs to cool down before you could use it" screen. I never get the too cold screen here in SoCal, but my niece in Moscow and can't use her iPhone outside because it was too cold.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:38 pm

What are the build dates on these ,
did they make a new run for someone who never picked them up ?
Or did they get lost in Apples warehouse for a couple years !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.