Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

SIM Card Recommendations for One Month in Japan?

Old Jan 29, 19, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Hi! I'm going to be traveling in Japan the month of February. Do folks have any recommendations, and price guidance, on SIM cards for my iPhone 8 and potentially also my iPad Pro?

I'd ideally like to have unlimited data and speed, and support for iOS's personal hotspot functionality. Voice would be nice-to-have, but it isn't essential - I think I read somewhere that Japan has strict rules against purchasing voice SIM for short periods of time.

Also, are there any particularly convenient and English-friendly shops at the Haneda or Narita airports to get this set up?

Last edited by alexcr; Jan 29, 19 at 4:37 pm
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:12 pm

Prepaid SIM discussion (consolidated)

plenty of recommendations in this thread (read towards the back)

you won't find (truly) unlimited data sim.
most give you fullspeed up to some limit per day (or per period), then 64kbps after. others allow you top up ($/GB) or renew the period early
alexcr likes this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Japan does have stricter rules, but you can get a Data Only SIM pretty easily at both airports. I found I didn't need to have a local phone # there and a data only SIM in my phone worked fine for browsing, Maps, WhatsApp, and Skype.

I was in Haneda and my wife in Nartia last year and we both got a Data Only SIMs for pretty cheap at one of the kiosks after exiting customs. Shop spoke good enough English and signs/info was in English as well.

You can also pick them up at BIC Camera shops as well, but recommend you get it at the airport before leaving.
alexcr likes this.
Old Feb 6, 19, 4:13 am

When I went to Japan for ~45 days I just used Project Fi and it worked wonders, this was before the capping. Japan also has decent wifi pretty much everywhere which saves on data costs.

If you get the data SIM from the airport or BIC Camera stores you should get Google Voice prior to be able to call Japan/USA numbers (USA is free but calling Japan is 3-9c/min depending on whether it is a cell phone or landline).
alexcr likes this.

Search this Thread