Wiki Posts
Search

Replacing travel laptop

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by chx1975
Keyboard...? If I haul a 12" laptop around that'd better have the ThinkPad keyboard. (My current loadout is the One Mix Yoga 2S and the Lenovo ThinkPad 25.)
I don't mind the SP keyboard. And you can pick up the Surface Pro 6 from Costco for $800, including the keyboard
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:07 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by MaxBuck
As someone with three Surface Pros to my name, I don't know why they're not the "travel laptop" of choice for everybody. Fast, light, great display, reasonably priced.
Windows 10
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by freecia
[MENTION=485731]Chrome OS supports DVD drives but not the media codecs needed https://cbookreviewguide.com/chromeb...or-chromebook/ You might be able to get it to work https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/co...book_using_an/ but as with many Google things, things change. What works on one build may not work on 3 releases down the line. If you really want to play DVDs & BluRay on a laptop or tablet+keyboard type of device I think it is better to go with Windows.
There's a VLC build for ChromeOS. VLC plays almost anything, including DVDs -- really the only exception I can think of are things that use more modern DRM (and it will happily play BluRay images with the DRM removed.)

Originally Posted by bss308
I highly suggest a new MacBook 12 inch (not the pro.) The size is excellent for traveling, and has enough power to do most basic tasks. Very long battery life. You can get one for under $1k. Not cheap, but well worth it.
Very very slow, underpowered machine, especially the base model with the m3 processor. It's not as slow as some of the < $500 Chromebooks (or trash < $500 Windows machines) -- for ChromeOS, that's almost excusable, but for a $1300 machine, something clocked that low really isn't. The Macbook Air is cheaper, quite a bit faster, and not THAT much bigger -- and still slower than comparably priced PC machines where you'd have a quad core i5 (like the Macbook Pro 13) rather than a dual.

Originally Posted by javabytes
Dell XPS 13 or 15 are the best all-around travel notebooks today if you're after a PC, between performance, form factor, and build quality. (Yes, 15" might be considered too big for a travel laptop by some, but it's still thin and light.) Lenovo Thinkpads like the X1 Carbon can be rock solid companions for road warriors also, but tend to lack style and screen quality compared to the Dells.
Not sure I'd call the XPS 15 a travel machine; I've got one (last-generation; 9560), and as far as full-power machines go it's one of the most compact (if not the lightest) and one of the better PC attempts to clone a MacBook Pro 15 -- but it's too big to open in a lot of coach seats, and pushing 5lbs.

XPS 13 or if you need something with a few more ports and a more business-y keyboard, the Latitude 7490 are great small general-use machines from dell (to my mind; the 7490 may be too big to be a "travel machine" to some), although IMO the best balance of size, power, and ports in that size range is the X1 Carbon, which basically does to a 14" screen what the XPS 13 did to 13s -- gets it into a one-size-smaller chassis. With a great keyboard (unlike the short-travel one on the XPS) and most of the standard business ports. If it were my money, I'd save the cash and get the 7490 (which is frequently almost cheap on Dell Outlet) but if someone else is paying and I had a choice of manufacturers the X1 is the nicer machine.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by nkedel
Not sure I'd call the XPS 15 a travel machine; I've got one (last-generation; 9560), and as far as full-power machines go it's one of the most compact (if not the lightest) and one of the better PC attempts to clone a MacBook Pro 15 -- but it's too big to open in a lot of coach seats, and pushing 5lbs.

XPS 13 or if you need something with a few more ports and a more business-y keyboard, the Latitude 7490 are great small general-use machines from dell (to my mind; the 7490 may be too big to be a "travel machine" to some), although IMO the best balance of size, power, and ports in that size range is the X1 Carbon, which basically does to a 14" screen what the XPS 13 did to 13s -- gets it into a one-size-smaller chassis. With a great keyboard (unlike the short-travel one on the XPS) and most of the standard business ports. If it were my money, I'd save the cash and get the 7490 (which is frequently almost cheap on Dell Outlet) but if someone else is paying and I had a choice of manufacturers the X1 is the nicer machine.
I freely admitted the XPS 15 might be considered too large by some. I travel with it (well, to be precise, its Precision sibling) and have never had an issue, but then again I’m always in E+ or better seating. It’s only about 8 ounces heavier than the 15” MBP and has a very similar dimensional profile, and is uncompromising on performance. The XPS 13 is certainly more of a traditional travel sized laptop. The X1 Carbon is a decent machine - great, even, with the newer display options, but just like the XPS 13, one should be aware that RAM is soldered on and tops out at 16GB.

Last edited by javabytes; Feb 11, 2019 at 2:23 am
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
If you are anywhere close to the Omaha area, do yourself a favor and look into Shrock Innovations. They are a top-notch local company that has great deals and will build according to your individual needs. And it will not be as expensive as one may expect for a custom laptop.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Replaced a broken Surface Pro 3 (12”) with a new MacBook Air (13”) recently, what I realized is 13” is slightly too big personally and the MacBook (12”) would have been perfect. For comparison purposes, the iPad/Surface 3 are 10”. Size is very important!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
I mentioned CloudReady above with the X220 but I learned there is a better solution these days: Chromefy. It is full Chrome OS, including the Android Play Store. So: I maintain that's your best Chromebook.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by chx1975
I mentioned CloudReady above with the X220 but I learned there is a better solution these days: Chromefy. It is full Chrome OS, including the Android Play Store. So: I maintain that's your best Chromebook.
Looks like a nightmare to install... And doesn't appear to auto update.

I might have a go at installing on my old Surface 3
​​​​
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Looks like a nightmare to install... And doesn't appear to auto update.

I might have a go at installing on my old Surface 3
​​​​
i just started chromefy on my one mix yoga

starting to like it - android and linux subsystems work, chromeos UI definitely more touch/dpi friendly than the other linux distros (ubuntu mate, lubuntu etc)

will probably keep it if i can get my whole dev env set up (Webstorm/Intellij)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by javabytes
The X1 Carbon is a decent machine - great, even, with the newer display options, but just like the XPS 13, one should be aware that RAM is soldered on and tops out at 16GB.
I had actually forgotten that about the X1 Carbon, and that's one advantage of the Dell Latitude 7490. I doubt my wife is ever going to need to go to 32gb on hers (or likely 64gb, when 32gb DIMMs are readily available) but given how long she keeps laptops for it's not entirely implausible, and I could see some light-duty development workloads today where a U-series quad core i7 like the ones in the X1/7490/XPS13 would be adequate but 16GB would be limiting.

Originally Posted by spartacus
If you are anywhere close to the Omaha area, do yourself a favor and look into Shrock Innovations. They are a top-notch local company that has great deals and will build according to your individual needs. And it will not be as expensive as one may expect for a custom laptop.
"Custom" laptops (and a lot of minor brand ones) are generally just barebones ones from the same handful of companies with a few parts out of the bin, and the OEM of the barebones model obscured. Nothing wrong with that, but there's fundamentally very little you can customize these days beyond what's already available as variations on build to order from Dell/HP/Lenovo.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by paperwastage
will probably keep it if i can get my whole dev env set up (Webstorm/Intellij)
Let me know if you manage to get IntelliJ working...
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-2-...?skuId=6292310

i have this and it is brilliant. Win 10. Does all the work stuff and pretty decent on gaming. Very light. My travel go to PC. I am writing this from a chromebook that does Android apps, and I would still take this baby over that one, especially since weight is important on many of my travels.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Let me know if you manage to get IntelliJ working...
https://www.reddit.com/r/Crostini/wi...stall-intellij

people have done it. I was able to set intellij up without any issues. Typical Linux apps run fast, intellij/Java is very slow due to lack of GPU acceleration

ChromeOS is less restrictive than I once thought with android container + crostini VM support (which were introduced in 2016 and mid-2018 respectively).

UI and workflow integration definitely exceeds my expectations (android->chromeos and linux -> chromeos)

crostini VM (kvm) - content with the performance so far (hey, my device has a quad cherry trail intel Atom with mmc drive), very happy them using lxc containers

still have some issues before i'm totally happy. will likely get the one mix 3 yoga when it comes out and load it with chromeos
- no GPU acceleration, should come in March 2019
- no sound/usb support (not dealbreaker for me)
- not quite sure how updates to ChromeOS AND chromiumOS works, need to test it out

You can probably run crouton(no VM) instead of crostini(VM) to get beter native performance, but no OS/UI integration

Last edited by paperwastage; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:06 pm
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

I'm the OP. I've been too embarrassed to reply because all I need the laptop for is to watch non-streaming movies on looooooooooong plane rides and to pull up google earth when I have an internet connection.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by iowa guy
I'm the OP. I've been too embarrassed to reply because all I need the laptop for is to watch non-streaming movies on looooooooooong plane rides and to pull up google earth when I have an internet connection.

So have you bought anything?

It just depends on how good you want your experience to be. You can watch movies on a $300 laptop but the screen and speakers won't be as nice and it may not have a big hard drive to store a lot of movies. And most laptops these days do not have a DVD drive either so you'd need digital downloads of movies.

The more you spend, of course there will be nicer screens, better speakers, faster processor and graphics for things like Google Earth.

An iPad Pro will have good quality screen and speakers and it should run Google Earth well. But it's expensive for what it is, only about a 10-inch screen and when you get one with a lot of storage, say 128 GB (if they even still offer that size), it's expensive storage, unless you're okay with downloading and deleting movie and swapping them out constantly, to make it work with say a 64 GB model.

I think all of the streaming services provide a better experience with their iPad apps. than using their websites on a browser. Plus, you can download movies and shows from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime Anytime apps. for offline viewing. Not sure you can do the same with the websites for those or other services.
Svitlana Krotova likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.