Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Does Three UK Have Excessive Roaming Rules?

Old Jan 25, 19, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to UK in a few weeks, will pick up and activate a Three UK SIM. Three has free roaming in many locations - in and outside of the EU.

After that trip, I expect to use it for the rest of the year outside the UK (and sometimes outside the EU) on an intermittent basis, and may not use it in the UK again for over a year.

Anyone know if Three enforces any rules about excessive roaming - I will, essentially be only roaming for a year with no domestic UK use.
Old Jan 26, 19, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, Lufthansa
Originally Posted by BigFlyer View Post
I'm going to UK in a few weeks, will pick up and activate a Three UK SIM. Three has free roaming in many locations - in and outside of the EU.

After that trip, I expect to use it for the rest of the year outside the UK (and sometimes outside the EU) on an intermittent basis, and may not use it in the UK again for over a year

Anyone know if Three enforces any rules about excessive roaming - I will, essentially be only roaming for a year with no domestic UK use.
I'm UK based and on a Three contract - AFAIK they limit how long you can roam for but not sure what that means in practice as I've not spent longer than four weeks out of the UK in one hit

From Go Roam | Roaming free of charge in 71 destinations | Three

"Extended periods abroad are not included. Go Roam is designed for UK residents who are on holiday or business trips abroad. See sections entitled 'usage restrictions' on our Support page for more details."
Old Jan 26, 19, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC, BAEC Silver
This will not work for the OP as Three has designed its systems to prevent precisely this form of usage.
Old Jan 26, 19, 9:10 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
I looked into this as I live in the USA and travel to the UK very infrequently. They have done away with you can only roam for so long like four weeks. I have had my sim for over two years and it still works. I just make I have a chargeable text or call every 90 days. I think the time is 180 days, but have to check the T&C to be sure. I used to have Vodaphone until my nephew lost the sim card. I had that for four years with no problem. There is a thread on this in the UK section on PrePaidGSM.net.
Old Jan 26, 19, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC, Priority Club, Fairmont Presidents Club
I use a three SIM. I buy vouchers here https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/three to top up, and then add whatever plan I want. I only use the SIM in the UK, or when I travel to one of their 71 covered countries. Has always worked great.

The rest of the time I use a Canadian SIM.
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat (4m+), AF Platinum, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat
this might work for one trip but I am certain that they audit the accounts.. per the EU roaming agreement there is a period (you can find it on the wikipedia EU roaming page) of 90 or 180 days.. if you are roaming outside of the UK more than you are using Three's UK network they will shut your line down.
That's exactly what happened to me several years ago.
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
This came from PrePaidGSM.net.

About roaming period: They've used to deactivate roaming in some cases when users used their SIM cards only for roaming. This was reported as soon as after 2 months of permanent roaming in some cases.

This has changed now, as Three UK has to comply with the new EU roaming rules. Now, there is a "monitoring period" of 4 months, in which your consumption may be "monitored". If this is predominantly in roaming, then they are allowed to impose a surcharge of around 8-9 per GB to roaming after that period. They are not allowed to disable roaming (at least in Europe) anymore like they did before.

About activation: Three says activation should take place in the UK. Actually, I've activated some Three SIM cards before through a roaming network in Europe. So I don't think that this is absolutely mandatory as the SIM is delivered pre-activated mostly as there is no registration or anything like this in the UK.

It's a viable choice as long as you can live with the known restrictions: strict 9GB per month cap for roaming, no 4G/LTE roaming outside the UK and European 3G networks get more and more crowded, low priorisation, hard to top-up (without surcharge) from abroad, UK "content lock" in place and strictly no tethering (WiFi hotspot use) on their Pay-as-you-go SIM. How they are going to handle the 4-months rule we'll see later this year.

Search this Thread