Reload this Page >

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 17, 2023, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: serpens
Here are instructions for what phone settings to use when a travel SIM has been activated. The initial wiki is for an iPhone (in particular, an iPhone SE 2020 with iOS 16.6), but perhaps others will expand the wiki to clarify the steps for other phones or other operating system versions.

* Before arriving in the travel area, turn off roaming on the home SIM (to avoid any roaming charge).
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, choose the home SIM and turn off Data Roaming.
If there is a Network Selection option (which is apparently not available with Consumer Cellular), choose a network on which the phone cannot roam, for example, 313-100.

* After arriving in the travel area, use the following settings.
- At Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data, choose the travel SIM and turn off Allow Cellular Data Switching.
- At Settings > Cellular > Default Voice Line, choose the home SIM.
- At Settings > Cellular, under SIMs, ensure both home and travel are On.
- At Settings > Cellular > [home SIM], ensure Wi-Fi calling is On and Data Roaming is Off.
- At Settings > Cellular > [travel SIM], ensure Data Roaming is On and (optionally) Low Data Mode is On.

Corrections are welcome, as are elaborations of what these settings mean and do.
Print Wikipost

SIM for multi-country Europe trip and options for calling home

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite/Lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum Medallion, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by username
The other question is the "fair use" clause which seems to discourage people from roaming too much....is that still applicable?
It might still apply. Last year when I went to Scotland my roaming was turned off because I supposedly was outside the UK for too long although my usage was once or twice turn it on, get the welcome to USA message and the at the time CDC message, and then turn it off. They did re enable it for me.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by hfly
Finkface. As I wrote earlier, it depends on what you need. A tourist visiting France one time for a week is unlikely to really need a French number, someone who regularly visits France, perhaps has bank accounts, actual Friends on teh ground, or some interaction with local business will actually need a French number.
I have a bank account in Italy (Crédit Agricole) and use my US GV number for 2FA. It surprised me that they were able to use a foreign number when they first started 2FA in 2019 but it was no problem and the texts come through fine as most of my banking is done while I am in Canada. Same with online access to Italian utilities (gas, electric, water); entering the US number was no problem at all. With our friends/family, we use iMessage or Whatsapp if texting but I also have free long distance through our voip number (can be used through an app) so voice calls aren't a problem either.That's why I was wondering what I am missing as I haven't needed it so far. Local businesses could be a problem if I ever needed to give out a number but I can't see needing that when I will be staying in a hotel or similar. The only thing that concerned me was ride share but they are work via app so no local number needed.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Finkface; Aug 11, 2022 at 9:15 am
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by Finkface
Not so far. I have never had to text a local number. What sort of things would I need that for? I am thinking like local ride sharing services or similar?
I travel frequently to India, and it seems the whole country revolves around text messages for everything. WhatsApp is certainly gaining ground, but text messages still rule there for quick, ad hoc communications.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
I travel frequently to India, and it seems the whole country revolves around text messages for everything. WhatsApp is certainly gaining ground, but text messages still rule there for quick, ad hoc communications.
No security with SMS as the Indian government can spy.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta
That's true, but for texting with the taxi driver or building security system, I don't particularly worry about who is eavesdropping.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Finkface, you are lucky with your Italian bank, there are plenty of financial institutions that require a local number.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by hfly
Finkface, you are lucky with your Italian bank, there are plenty of financial institutions that require a local number.
It did surprise me, I'll be honest. I logged in last week and still no problem receiving the text to my GV number.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bandicoot
And don't forget the one-time password obsession for everything. Even things that tourists are likely to use like booking event or museum tickets and food delivery apps require OTPs and the vast majority won't send them to anything but a +91 number.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
And don't forget the one-time password obsession for everything. Even things that tourists are likely to use like booking event or museum tickets and food delivery apps require OTPs and the vast majority won't send them to anything but a +91 number.
Do you mean in India? If so, why?
Old Aug 11, 2022, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Do you mean in India? If so, why?
Yes. It's a cheap and easy fraud-prevention measure for a country where everyone has a smartphone but tons of people have never used a computer. A site or app that would ask you to make an account with an e-mail address in Europe or North America will use SMS'd one-time passcodes in India and tie the account to your mobile number. It's infuriating for tourists or recent arrivals but the plus side is no passwords to forget.

I never had any issues in Europe with a foreign phone number--no one uses SMS anyway. You use apps to message friends and voice calls or e-mail to communicate with shops, doctors, etc. and even apps or sites that use OTPs will e-mail them. The one thing I can think of that insisted on SMS was the ticket app for De Lijn (the bus/tram operator in Flanders) but it'll text any country the average Belgian has heard of. I had a UK number when I first moved there and a French number for a couple years and had no issues with either.

So really the answer to "is Airalo or Fi good enough for my trip" is "it depends where you're going".
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,

I've read most of the thread so apologies if this has been asked and or answered before.

When traveling to the UK from the US can I:
A) buy and install a UK SIM card for my phone and:
B) set up call forwarding on my iPhone to the new UK /SIM card phone number?

Thanks for any replies,
Old Aug 13, 2022, 6:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

I've read most of the thread so apologies if this has been asked and or answered before.

B) set up call forwarding on my iPhone to the new UK /SIM card phone number?

Thanks for any replies,
A) If your phone is unlocked, yes you can.
B) I’m unclear what you’re asking. Are you talking about two phones? I’m assuming you’d need your US forwarding phone to have an active US SIM in order to forward to your UK SIM. The other issue would be that your original/forwarding SIM provider in the US would presumably charge you international rates to forward to an international number.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Concur with Stgermainparis (on the unquoted response, too). It was a couple of years ago, but I used GiffGaff. I swapped SIMs on the flight over, and it worked like a charm on landing. I did not have any way for someone in US to contact me by voice or text on my US number.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
B) I’m unclear what you’re asking. Are you talking about two phones? I’m assuming you’d need your US forwarding phone to have an active US SIM in order to forward to your UK SIM. The other issue would be that your original/forwarding SIM provider in the US would presumably charge you international rates to forward to an international number.
Thank you for your reply,

Yes, my phone is unlocked and ,

I see what your getting at for the second part.

In order to forward a call I'd have to have 2 phones.

However my provider ( mint mobile) isn't really set up for international service so my US phone may not be reachable in the UK to be able to forward a call to a second, UK sim phone.

Rats
Old Aug 16, 2022, 1:23 am

Thank you for your reply,

Yes, my phone is unlocked and ,

I see what your getting at for the second part.

In order to forward a call I'd have to have 2 phones.

However my provider ( mint mobile) isn't really set up for international service so my US phone may not be reachable in the UK to be able to forward a call to a second, UK sim phone.

Rats
If Mint offers wifi calling, your US number will always be reachable if you leave your Mint sim in a second phone. Or a dual sim phone. That is what I do with my crappy pay as you go Tracfone sim. I leave it in a second phone when I am out of the US with wifi calling enabled. All calls ring and texts come through as long as it is connected to wifi even though neither the phone nor the data work outside of the US.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.