FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   AT&T International Caribbean Add-on - settings help? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1950777-t-international-caribbean-add-settings-help.html)

TravelinSperry Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

AT&T International Caribbean Add-on - settings help?

Hello all,

I'm currently with AT&T Prepaid in the States (I have no choice as T-Mobile and Sprint do not work in my building and area). When traveling overseas for long periods of time I switch to Google Fi. However, I have a 7 day trip coming up in the Caribbean and since it's so short I'd prefer not to switch to Fi for just a week. I notice AT&T offers a $15 add-on plan where I can get cheaper calling rates ($.25 per min to mobile and landlines). But I assume that plan has no data. So if I choose it - do I keep data roaming off? So then I'll have no data - but can make and receive calls at $.25 per minute to my same #? I can just check data when at the house over wifi. I realize I can go the local SIM route - but then I'll lose my number and prefer to keep it while abroad. I suppose I could set up a forward once there if it's not too hard.

Any thoughts?

FLYMSY Jan 13, 2019 2:53 pm

You might want to look at AT&T’s Passport plan. It’s what I mainly use when I’m outside of the U.S. now. It’s quite easy to use and it makes life much easier for me now. Below is part of a post that I made earlier on FT:

“.... my carrier is AT&T and I'm ONLY using their Passport plan, to make/receive calls, send/receive texts and use cellular data while I'm overseas. It's $10/24 hour period (not day) for unlimited texts, unlimited phone calls and cellular data up to the limits of your plan. It works just as if I was back in the U.S. At the risk of repeating myself, it works like a charm.

If anyone wants more info, you may want to check AT&T's Passport plan page or similar page for other carriers. It really is quite simple and not as complicated as others are making it.”

TravelinSperry Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by FLYMSY (Post 30650208)
You might want to look at AT&T’s Passport plan. It’s what I mainly use when I’m outside of the U.S. now. It’s quite easy to use and it makes life much easier for me now. Below is part of a post that I made earlier on FT:

“.... my carrier is AT&T and I'm ONLY using their Passport plan, to make/receive calls, send/receive texts and use cellular data while I'm overseas. It's $10/24 hour period (not day) for unlimited texts, unlimited phone calls and cellular data up to the limits of your plan. It works just as if I was back in the U.S. At the risk of repeating myself, it works like a charm.

If anyone wants more info, you may want to check AT&T's Passport plan page or similar page for other carriers. It really is quite simple and not as complicated as others are making it.”

Good idea but this option does not appear for prepaid accounts. Seems like it's only available for postpaid monthly accounts. :(

Need Jan 14, 2019 9:40 am

I could be wrong, but I think the AT&T $15 add-on is for calling from the US to the Caribbean. I think the only countries you could roam on AT&T prepaid are Canada and Mexico. You should call and check.

BTW, I have Google Fi and Tmobile/Sprint does not have signal in my building also, but US Cellular has super strong signal. And I was able to use an app, FiSwitch, to force Fi to use US Cellular.

TravelinSperry Jan 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Need (Post 30653106)
I could be wrong, but I think the AT&T $15 add-on is for calling from the US to the Caribbean. I think the only countries you could roam on AT&T prepaid are Canada and Mexico. You should call and check.

BTW, I have Google Fi and Tmobile/Sprint does not have signal in my building also, but US Cellular has super strong signal. And I was able to use an app, FiSwitch, to force Fi to use US Cellular.

Darn, I wish I knew about that US Cellular trick. I tried both T-Mobile and Sprint - and nada. So I gave up and switched to AT&T Prepaid which works perfectly. I would much prefer to stay with Google Fi. Wish I tested US Cellular before switching.

sillypainter Jan 16, 2019 9:57 pm

That's right. The $15 add-on is for calling to that country, not roaming in that country. VZW prepaid does offer travel pass though, and their prepaid offering is great.