Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile One Plus SIM in iPad for free GoGo Internet flights?

Old Jan 1, 2019, 7:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Anyone try using it in an iPad?

Or will it try to access the phone to validate?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
You are validated by typing your phone number into the Gogo in-flight portal. But AFAIK access is limited to phones only. I’ve never been able to access the T-Mobile validation process on a tablet.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
You are validated by typing your phone number into the Gogo in-flight portal. But AFAIK access is limited to phones only. I’ve never been able to access the T-Mobile validation process on a tablet.
Yep, Gogo uses the browser's user agent string to decide what sort of device it is. With some work, it can be spoofed on an Android tablet or a PC if one is so inclined. There are--or at least were--also some tablets with non-stock Android whose browsers report that they're phones.

The captive portal has no way of knowing what SIM is in your phone--if you have a friend or relative on T-Mo who's not flying that day, you can use their info to get the free wifi. The only time the SIM matters is if you actually are a T-Mobile customer, SMS over wifi requires the SIM to be in the phone (as does wifi calling, though of course that's blocked on Gogo).
Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Maybe you can tether over bluetooth.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by wco81
Maybe you can tether over bluetooth.
AFAIK iOS doesn't allow you to share a wifi connection over bluetooth, only your cell connection. It should be possible in theory on Android. (So of course I'm going to try it when I get home)

Another thing I've used successfully to "misuse" wifi in the past is to connect the phone and then spoof the phone's MAC address on my laptop so the captive portal lets me through. I don't know whether Gogo sniffs traffic to prevent this but I sorta doubt it (plus it's 2018 and even a small-town newspaper website uses https, so sniffing traffic is pointless). In my case it was a work-selected hotel with paid wifi where my $10 got me one device and I refused on principle to pay twice.

EDIT for test results:
  • Not possible on iOS because (at least on iOS 12), tethering is all-or-nothing: in order to tether via any method, you have to enable all three (wifi, bluetooth, and USB), which kills your wifi connection.
  • My Pixel (Android 9) refuses to play nice with either my Mac or my Win10 laptop for bluetooth tethering--something appears to be broken in Android's bluetooth PAN support. Using a USB cable, though, I was sharing my phone's wifi connection--in airplane mode--within 5 seconds
    • If your Android phone plays nice, bluetooth is a viable option for tablets, but neither iOS nor Android tablets are capable of being the USB tethering "client" so the cable trick is only good for laptops.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Jan 3, 2019 at 1:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.