Wiki Posts
Search

cell service in Chile and Argentina?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Premier 1K
cell service in Chile and Argentina?

I will be in Santiago and Valparaiso in Chile, and Buenos Aires and Mendoza in Argentina, over the next few weeks, and I will need to make several important work phone calls at that time. I will have a working cell phone. Is cell service generally good and consistent in Chile and Argentina? Or should I try to do these calls from a landline?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I was in Viņa Del Mar and Valparaiso a few years ago. We also drove to Mendoza. I found the cell reception and function quite serviceable. However. For an important work call, make sure you are standing still. Not driving as you may drop connectivity in the mountains from time to time.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would also check on any potential charges for making these calls so you do not get a nasty surprise when you get the bill .

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Was there last fall, Santiago, south to Santa Cruz (wine area) and north of Santiago, all had great coverage. BA and rode to Mendoza all had pretty good coverage. South in Chile, Patagonia, Punta Arenas was fine, but once one could more than about 25 miles outside of the city, coverage was nothing till one got near a small town or was HIGH on a hill. going into Torres del Paine, nothing. Didn't care, didn't want to talk to anyone anyway. ;-)
Old Jan 3, 2019, 12:42 am

If you opt for cell phone service, look at the top of this forum to find the per-country "List of Prepaid SIM" options.
Here's the Argentina thread.
Here's the Chile thread.

Last edited by boberonicus; Jan 3, 2019 at 2:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.