FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   T-Mobile Data Pass (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1945535-t-mobile-data-pass.html)

CVO 1K 2 Million Dec 13, 2018 12:59 am

T-Mobile Data Pass

I have been a T-Mobile customer for 20+ years and was ecstatic when they took the lead
to substantially reduce (mostly) international roaming fees...
But the slow data speed (albeit free) wasn't so easy to adapt to... so have been buying
the so called "Data Pass"...
They always seem to vary in duration/data limit/cost every time I buy one, i.e. the same product never
seems to be available twice in a row. Also the 611 support person usually doesn't know what I'm
talking about unless they put me on hold and research.
The last one I purchased was May of this year... $15 for 1gb of (fast) data for 7 days as I recall.
I just tried to purchase one yesterday and they said $25 for 200mb... I told them unacceptable
based upon past purchases.....
Does anyone have similar experiences, alternate products, etc. or any other helpful info that they can share?
Thanks

Need Dec 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I thought their data pass now is $5 per day and limited to 512mb LTE speed per day. You can't do a 7-days plan though. If you need fast data everyday for 7 days, it would be $35. If you need it for more than 10 days, then you may as well for the 15GB month Global Data Plus plan for $50.

wco81 Dec 18, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 30536237)
I thought their data pass now is $5 per day and limited to 512mb LTE speed per day. You can't do a 7-days plan though. If you need fast data everyday for 7 days, it would be $35. If you need it for more than 10 days, then you may as well for the 15GB month Global Data Plus plan for $50.

I see Global Plus 15 GB in the T-Mobile app. So can you just add it for a billing period and it's automatically off for the next billing period?

Unfortunately, only 5GB of "up to 4G LTE tethering."

One of the most likely way to use up a lot of data while roaming internationally would be tethering. Just don't see a need for 10 GB of non-tethered data for my iPhone. Not going to watch a lot of videos on it, as opposed to my iPad or laptop.

bitterproffit Dec 18, 2018 11:57 am

I used the $5 data pass daily for a week straight on a recent trip. It wasn't bad, but it was a little bit of a hassle to make sure you purchased the next one before the time ran out of the previous one, since once time ran out, it was really difficult to sign up without data.

I use the hotel wifi in the AM to sign up for another day. It worked really well, and I never went over the limit. I only travel internationally about 2-3 times a year, so it wouldn't make sense to do the global plan.

So, I can live with the five dollar daily sign up, but looking at Google Fi more since they made it such a hassle.

LordHamster Dec 19, 2018 9:53 am

As bitterproffit said, Google FI makes more sense.... especially since they now support iPhones and non-google Android phones.