Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Can my personal computer at home be monitored using work VPN

Old Dec 10, 18, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Can my personal computer at home be monitored when I use software to connect to secured work server?
Old Dec 10, 18, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by compwolf21 View Post
Can my personal computer at home be monitored when I use software to connect to secured work server?
Yes.

Most commercial VPN clients can restrict routing of internet requests such that they must pass through your corporate network before reaching the internet, and your web activity can be intercepted by the firewall or proxy server.

If you'd prefer to keep your computer unmonitored, consider having your employer provision a corporate laptop for your home use. If you must use your personal computer for work, install virtualization software (VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox) and a "guest" operating system in which to install your employer's software for accessing your corporate network. Of course this option isn't free, so it may be more cost-effective to simply purchase a refurbished laptop for connecting to your work network.
Old Dec 12, 18, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Yes (depending on the software), although it should be possible to tell whether in fact they do so.
Whether they do so or not depends on the VPN software they use and how it's configured.

One other thing to look at is whether your work has a WebVPN option -- if they do, you can get to browser-based services via the WebVPN without having to connect a full client, and your other machine use will be unmonitored.

As for Dodge DeBoulet's suggestion of using a VM, it's a good idea, and there ARE good free options - VirtualBox and if you're on Windows 10, Hyper-V are both free (as in beer, in the latter case) and if your VPN needs are just browser, and if they use a Linux-compatible VPN (the most common Cisco and Juniper options are usually usable depending on how they configure them -- look up "openconnect", as are older Microsoft PPTP ones) you can very readily use a basic Linux VM image. You also may be able to use a Windows license or VM image provided by your employer (ask your IT person.)
Old Dec 12, 18, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Another option is not to use the VPN for web-surfing unrelated to work. When you are on the VPN either don't web surf or surf for work-related matters only, e.g., the ones you don't care if your employer knows about.
Old Dec 14, 18, 5:58 am

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I'm assuming you're using the VPN software on your personal PC. In that case, yes, if your company uses spyware and spyware proxies (and most companies do). Now if you meant that you are connecting your company PC to your network and connecting to the VPN with it, then no, they wouldn't be able to monitor other machines (i.e. your personal PC) on your network (unless you work @ the CIA, )
Old Dec 14, 18, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
I'm assuming you're using the VPN software on your personal PC. In that case, yes, if your company uses spyware and spyware proxies (and most companies do). Now if you meant that you are connecting your company PC to your network and connecting to the VPN with it, then no, they wouldn't be able to monitor other machines (i.e. your personal PC) on your network (unless you work @ the CIA, )
Depends on how your network is set up, and depends on what you're doing. There is at least some potential for a work machine on a home network to do some level of monitoring, it's about as secure at that point as say, working in a coffee shop given typical home network settings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: