FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Headphone Confusion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1943994-headphone-confusion.html)

redtop43 Dec 4, 2018 11:44 pm

Headphone Confusion

I own two headset-type devices. One is a wireless earbud that is paired with my iPhone, the other is a cheap ($50ish) Sony noise-cancelling over-ear set of corded headphones.

First, can I even use the wireless in flight? They are bluetooth. Isn't bluetooth prohibited in flight? Most of the planes I fly stream IFE to your personal device, but I always travel with a laptop. I actually rarely use the IFE but if I do, I can plug the Sony headphones into the laptop.

Second, I'd like to replace the Sony. I'm not sure I want to go all the way to Bose QC's cost-wise. Most of the time I'm not even listening to anything on them; I'm just using them to minimize the airplane noise.

I much prefer headphones to earbuds.

So I'm really confused what to buy.

I dug a little deeper and saw a Sennheiser headset for $150 on Amazon. It said it comes with a listening cable, a USB battery recharger (does this mean it's rechargeable? My Sony uses an AAA battery), and a microphone. Would this meet my needs both for a headset for phone calls, and a device for traveling?

What should I get?

z28lt1 Dec 5, 2018 7:30 am

At least on all the airlines I know about, you are allowed to use bluetooth headphones, so you are good to go with your current buds.

If you are referring to the Sennheiser HD 4.50 that you saw: - Yes it is a rechargable battery. Yes, it can be used for phone calls when paired to the phone and listening to audio (or just noise canceling). Seem to be a good solution to your needs. Feel free to tell us more about what you are looking for, from your email it seems 1) Noise Canceling 2) Ability to connect to iphone and laptop 3) Microphone to make calls.

The Bose QC 25s had been on sale at Amazon for $110, until a day or so ago. Those would still be wired only, and you would need to add in another $40 or so for a Bluetooth module if you wanted to make them wireless. That was still probably a great deal, not sure if it will be available again or not.

D582 Dec 5, 2018 9:07 am

Generally, if the aircraft you are flying on is equipped with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth devices are allowed. Each carrier and each country may have its own rules, but I think you should be fine on most US carrier services.

I use Bose QC35s which support both Bluetooth and wired mode.

gobluetwo Dec 5, 2018 1:27 pm

Generally, bluetooth is allowed, especially US airlines. Air Canada is an exception. The last time I flew them, they explicitly stated that bluetooth devices, including headphones, are not allowed at any time during the flight.

Agree that if you want cheaper wired, Bose QC25 are a good choice. Some of the Audio-Technica are also good, but QC25 are better. There are also some bluetooth adapters for them which look and work well, although I've typically seen them more in the $60-70 range. \

Can't comment on the Sennheiser HD4.05 with ANC. Looks like a nice set and gets some solid reviews.

docbert Dec 5, 2018 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 30502458)
Air Canada is an exception. The last time I flew them, they explicitly stated that bluetooth devices, including headphones, are not allowed at any time during the flight.

Officially they are allowed on any Air Canada plane that has Wifi.

Bluetooth and Wifi work on the same radio range, so I'm presuming the logic is that if the plane has been certified for Wifi then it's good for BT as well.

brp1264 Dec 9, 2018 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 30502458)
Generally, bluetooth is allowed, especially US airlines. Air Canada is an exception. The last time I flew them, they explicitly stated that bluetooth devices, including headphones, are not allowed at any time during the flight.

I can't even imagine how they'd go about enforcing that.

On my last flight, there were nearly 100 discovered bluetooth devices.

gobluetwo Dec 10, 2018 7:40 am

Originally Posted by brp1264 (Post 30516258)
I can't even imagine how they'd go about enforcing that.

On my last flight, there were nearly 100 discovered bluetooth devices.

I just googled and found that there is a notice that, as docbert indicated, bluetooth headphones are only allowed on AC flights with wifi. My flight must not have had wifi, hence the announcement.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...eadphones.html

brp1264 Dec 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by gobluetwo (Post 30518590)
I just googled and found that there is a notice that, as docbert indicated, bluetooth headphones are only allowed on AC flights with wifi. My flight must not have had wifi, hence the announcement.

https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/...eadphones.html

Okay, I get that that is their policy - what I am saying is I have no idea how they would even begin to enforce no bluetooth devices, headphone or otherwise, on a plane. Many people leave their phone, tablet, PC bluetooth on, as well as smart watches, headphones, mice, stylus', and trackers/key fobs.

Montoya080 Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43 (Post 30500264)
First, can I even use the wireless in flight? They are bluetooth. Isn't bluetooth prohibited in flight?

Depends on the flight. Earlier this year I flew HKG to YYZ on Air Canada, and the PA announcement from the Captain was "you cannot use bluetooth headphones on this flight". (I 'may' have still used my Sony 1000XM2 Bluetooth headphones. :D )

Anyway, if you just want to sit there and listen to slience, get the older model Bose QC25, which is not bluetooth.
They have great NC and you get them on deals if you look around and take your time.

gobluetwo Dec 11, 2018 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by brp1264 (Post 30521010)
Okay, I get that that is their policy - what I am saying is I have no idea how they would even begin to enforce no bluetooth devices, headphone or otherwise, on a plane. Many people leave their phone, tablet, PC bluetooth on, as well as smart watches, headphones, mice, stylus', and trackers/key fobs.

Fair point. Just elucidating the board as to the actual AC policy, although I agree with you that enforcement would be very difficult, at best. So much bluetooth/wireless these days!

winglesss Dec 19, 2018 12:42 pm

There has never been an issue with my Bluetooth headphone usage in-flight.