Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

I am actually considering a Surface Go purchase...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:12 am
Original Poster

I am looking for a < 2 lb very small Windows laptop to accompany me during a lot of upcoming Q1 domestic & international travel.

It does not need to be cheap. It just needs to be really light (first priority - arm has been in cast), small, and Windows based.
Windows based for 2 reasons:

1) For work, I access ~ 70 files / week. I find the MacOS Finder app to require so many more keystrokes and mousing around when working with a lot of files vs Windows File Explorer. I use a 15" 2TB MacBook Pro for personal stuff and love the screen and silky smooth mousepad. But Finder makes me feel like I'm slogging through quicksand.
2) I am addicted to the windows app Breevy for text expansion Text expander for Windows - Breevy
it saves me so many keystrokes every single day

The Surface Go reviews seem surprisingly good:
https://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/la...ft-surface-pro

Any other Windows-based laptops should I consider before pulling the trigger on a purchase?

Last edited by MareLuce; Dec 3, 2018 at 2:14 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Lenovo's X1 Extreme is worth the substantial premium IMO.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Lenovo's X1 Extreme is worth the substantial premium IMO.
Yes, had he asked for a 4-lb workhorse...

The Surface Pro must be in the equation if you like the form factor of the Go. Have you considered running Boot Camp on the Apple Macbook?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Acer Spin 1 might be worth a look.

Picked one up a couple weeks ago since it was so cheap.

Have been really happy with it.

The screen is fantastic for the price.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I borrowed one for a couple weeks while I was waiting for parts for my personal MacBook and I really liked it, however the reviewer's comment about the slower eMMC storage (basically an SD card with TRIM support) in the entry-level version can't be understated however it isn't a deal breaker. I would rather have a device with a real CPU and slow storage than an Atom based device with faster storage.

I would buy one without hesitating (even the entry-level version) if I had a need for such a device. I would definitely buy one if they made a 10" Surface Laptop.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:09 pm

I don't know your needs, but I've been thinking about an LTE one for my wife. If your purpose is to handle emails, MS-Office, and watch Netflix in a hotel, I think it might be a good fit. I'm trying to find out whether there is a good Android emulator for it so that she can use her Kindle and New York Times app.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I'm trying to find out whether there is a good Android emulator for it so that she can use her Kindle and New York Times app.
The CPU/GPU doesn't quite have the performance for BlueStacks.

But those aren't very intensive applications so the Chrome approach might work, although that might not be terribly ergonomic.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Error 601
I borrowed one for a couple weeks while I was waiting for parts for my personal MacBook and I really liked it, however the reviewer's comment about the slower eMMC storage (basically an SD card with TRIM support) in the entry-level version can't be understated however it isn't a deal breaker. I would rather have a device with a real CPU and slow storage than an Atom based device with faster storage.

I would buy one without hesitating (even the entry-level version) if I had a need for such a device. I would definitely buy one if they made a 10" Surface Laptop.
If the Surface Go is anything like my Surface 3, it's okay if you're running only an app or two at a time. I definitely wouldn't try heavy multitasking with it. (Though I haven't read much about the Go, so it's possible that it's still a significant improvement.)
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I don't know your needs, but I've been thinking about an LTE one for my wife. If your purpose is to handle emails, MS-Office, and watch Netflix in a hotel, I think it might be a good fit.
Dubai Stu, My needs are exactly what you listed + Slack + my code editor (Notepad++).

I'm really looking for something that could fit in my Brighton purse that's almost the same design as this one:
https://www.brighton.com/product/cro...organizer.html

I'd love to use it for Netflix in tight airplane spaces... I use this setup below for Netflix in hotel rooms and it works great.

I use SolidWorks and Camtasia but wouldn't try to run either on a tiny laptop.

@ajGoes, the Thinkpad X1 Extreme will replace my current big Thinkpad at some point, but right now my pressing need is for something really small.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 6:16 am

My wife and I are grandfathered on ATT's unlimited international data plan. The problem is that lightening tethering to a hotel flat screen doesn't work all that well because you need to momentarily turn on hotspot mode to get it to work.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:43 am
Original Poster

You have to turn on hotspot mode on your iPhone even if you are simply watching downloaded Netflix videos?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not surfacebook? i have / like it (& old macbookair, whereas new apple dont have old USB)
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Bought one.

Bought one tonight. The LTE version.

I've never bought a laptop this low in strength based on specs, but I really need the tiny size & weight in Q1.

Day Zero experience was positive.
I've done the initial setup, updates, and opened Word, Excel, Powerpoint with stock files. No noticeable slowdown till I opened Outlook at the same time.
WiFi speed is as fast as my 2016 MacBook Pro, and twice as fast as my Thinkpad T470.
Screen looked great running Netflix.

90gb free. I need 60gb for work data.

Wish I had decided this before Black Friday to pick up extra licenses of my 3 Must Have Windows Apps:
Breevy, SnagIt, and GoodSync.
I have GoodSync setup to automatically sync C:\Work\*.* 60gb between my Thinkpads, and 1 directory of personal stuff that I sync between my MacBook Pro and my work laptops.
I will add the Surface Go in that sync chain.
ajGoes likes this.

Last edited by MareLuce; Dec 6, 2018 at 12:41 am
Old Dec 10, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
i have a surface pro and I don't think I'll ever buy a kickstand-style laptop again. it keeps falling off the back edge of tray tables when using it on a plane, especially in a bulkhead or in J
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by MareLuce
Bought one tonight. The LTE version.

I've never bought a laptop this low in strength based on specs, but I really need the tiny size & weight in Q1.

Day Zero experience was positive.
I've done the initial setup, updates, and opened Word, Excel, Powerpoint with stock files. No noticeable slowdown till I opened Outlook at the same time.
WiFi speed is as fast as my 2016 MacBook Pro, and twice as fast as my Thinkpad T470.
Screen looked great running Netflix.

90gb free. I need 60gb for work data.

Wish I had decided this before Black Friday to pick up extra licenses of my 3 Must Have Windows Apps:
Breevy, SnagIt, and GoodSync.
I have GoodSync setup to automatically sync C:\Work\*.* 60gb between my Thinkpads, and 1 directory of personal stuff that I sync between my MacBook Pro and my work laptops.
I will add the Surface Go in that sync chain.
Nice.

Seriously considering adding one to my travel workflow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.