Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Does deleting emails from an ipad automatically deletes them from your iphone?

Old Nov 26, 2018, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

I want to delete all my emails from my ipad, but, don't want to delete many of them from my iphone.

Are the two connected? So if I delete them from my ipad will they automatically delete them from my iphone (which I do not want)??
Old Nov 26, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If you delete an email from an Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo, etc., account, it's deleted. A device is just a way to look at a specific email in a specific account.

Unless you've done something funky, like downloaded then stopped refreshing on one device, yes, all devices should show the same email content.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
In the past, one had the option of using POP3 or IMAP to connect to mail servers and download mail. POP3 tended to keep emails on the server unless your mail client was set to specifically delete emails after downloading.

These days, though, POP3 isn't used all that much (AFAIK). Assuming you're using a common mail service like one of the ones CPRich mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it. And even if you aren't, there's likely not much of a need to worry about emails not disappearing from all devices when deleted.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I suspect you are using an IMAP protocol (it would help if you told us what email client or system you are using.). Deleting individual emails from your iPad will delete them from all other devices as well, in this case. But, if I understand you correctly, would your problem be solved by simply deleting the email account from your iPad? That would leave all other devices intact.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect you are using an IMAP protocol (it would help if you told us what email client or system you are using.). Deleting individual emails from your iPad will delete them from all other devices as well, in this case. But, if I understand you correctly, would your problem be solved by simply deleting the email account from your iPad? That would leave all other devices intact.
Probably the easiest option. My guess here is that your iPad is running out of room and you want to clear space but don't want the emails deleted?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.