Best Gadget for Travel

Old Nov 24, 18, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Best Gadget for Travel

what are the new gadgets that are useful for regular travelers?
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA PS, VX, Natl EE, Hertz PC
For me, its an Amazon fire stick. I plug it into every hotel TV and it's loaded with content. Takes less than a minute to get connected to wifi, and you're off. The only drawback is that depending on the configuration of the TV, it can be difficult to get access to the HDMI port, or hard to figure out how to change the input.

I recently "upgraded" my setup to include a power adapter (https://amzn.to/2RcX3eQ) for rooms where the power outlet is a bit farther. My experience has been flawless ever since.
Old Nov 26, 18, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, yes firestick can make a good travel companion.
Old Nov 29, 18, 4:47 pm

USB power bank, so I don't have to sit next to an outlet.
Wireless headphones.
Grayl water bottle/filter, always have access to clean drinking water.
HDMI cable for hotel tvs.
Old Nov 30, 18, 5:16 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
My favorite Gadgets:
  • iPhone XS Max with T-Mobile Global Plus unlimited or Project FI (Unlimited full speed LTE worldwide baby!)
  • HDMI Cable with Lightning to HDMI adapter (lets me plug in my iPhone to the hotel TV. Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu all available anywhere I go for hotel room entertainment)
  • JBL Clip 3 Waterproof bluetooth speaker. Works as my travel shower radio + a speakerphone for calls
  • Apple airpods - great for conference calls from my Macbook or my phone. Also nice for listening to audio
  • Bose QC35 - Great for in-flight
  • MPow bluetooth adaper (lets me use the bose w/ in-flight audio wirelessly)
  • iPad Pro (I'm taking this less and less, but I like it for doing email and conference calls without the hassle of booting the macbook.... also provides entertainment for when I can't get to the hotel room TV HDMI... like I said though, more often than not I leave this @ home now. )
Old Dec 1, 18, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by LordHamster View Post
My favorite Gadgets:
  • iPhone XS Max with T-Mobile Global Plus unlimited or Project FI (Unlimited full speed LTE worldwide baby!)
  • HDMI Cable with Lightning to HDMI adapter (lets me plug in my iPhone to the hotel TV. Netflix / Amazon Prime / Hulu all available anywhere I go for hotel room entertainment)
  • JBL Clip 3 Waterproof bluetooth speaker. Works as my travel shower radio + a speakerphone for calls
  • Apple airpods - great for conference calls from my Macbook or my phone. Also nice for listening to audio
  • Bose QC35 - Great for in-flight
  • MPow bluetooth adaper (lets me use the bose w/ in-flight audio wirelessly)
  • iPad Pro (I'm taking this less and less, but I like it for doing email and conference calls without the hassle of booting the macbook.... also provides entertainment for when I can't get to the hotel room TV HDMI... like I said though, more often than not I leave this @ home now. )
Is that the $50 add-on for T-Mobile? But I thought it was limited to 15 GB?

And to get unlimited on Google Fi would be $80?

Yeah it's unthinkable to travel without mobile devices. I even take an older iPhone as backup as well as iPad Pro and a laptop.

So I usually don't care as much about the TV in the hotel or what channels it may have. Used to want to see CNN, CNBC but now I can stream those and any other channels from back home.
Old Dec 1, 18, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I've finally succeeded in USB-C'ing all the things, well, except for my work laptop....
  • Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 - awesome for media consumption with its screen aspect ratio and microSD card support. IFE not working on that 16 hour flight? No problemo.
  • Various wireless and wired headphones:
    • Samsung Gear Icon X 2018 for when walking/moving about.
    • Sony WH-1000XM3s for on the plane or other noisy places.
    • Samsung S9 stock AKG earbuds for making calls on my PC or phone as the mic is better and no worry about flaky Bluetooth.
  • Quick Charge 3.0 10,000 mAh battery bank. I like not needing to be tethered to a plug and I find the plugs on airplanes are not reliable.
  • Dual port Quick Charge 3.0 USB power brick.
  • JBL Charge 4 Speaker for vacation.
  • For work I will sometimes travel with an Asus portable monitor if I am going to be away for a week or more or if I know I need to get some serious work done.
  • Logitech MX Anywhere 2 portable mouse.

Search this Thread