FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Smartphone for US and UK (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1941808-smartphone-us-uk.html)

Cloudship Nov 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Smartphone for US and UK

My Lg G33 has been giving me a lot of fits lately. I think it has taken one too many (or maybe many too many) beatings. So, I am thinking about replacing it. I want something pretty similar, the only think I really don't like about that phone is the power button being on the back. It has a nice screen and nice camera. I mostly use it for Data, with the occasional call or text, not the other way around. My big things are as large a screen as I can get, and it has to work with Cricket (AT&T) in the US and Canada, and O2 in the UK.

Any suggestions for which phone to get? I'm having a little trouble figuring out a good phone tht covers all those bands, and isn't a Galaxy S7 or 8, which I don't really care for.

adambadam Nov 22, 2018 11:01 pm

If you want to stick with Android, I would just do the Pixel 3. Get it unlocked from Google. It should work on all those carriers.

TBD Nov 22, 2018 11:24 pm

I recommend a Oneplus. All the same materials (gorilla glass, etc) and components (Snapdragon, etc) as a Galaxy, but more RAM and none of Samsung's bloatware. All for a few hundred $ less than a Galaxy. The rapid charge is great (full day charge in 30 minutes). Comes with dual SIM card slots so you don't even need to pull your O2/ATT card out while you travel. I've had mine for a year and a half and it's going strong. I don't think my galaxy lasted 15 mos ...

Cloudship Nov 23, 2018 7:45 am

Hm, looking at them, I think there are couple of other requirements. I need an SD slot (really? they still make phones without them) at least a 5.5in screen and decent battery life. And a headphone jack.

I am leaning towards a used phone at this point. Maybe I should just get another G3?

STVA Nov 23, 2018 10:33 am

I have a Motorola G6. They are only $200 now but have a ton of value for the price.

Has SD slot, a headphone jack, 5.7" screen. Works on a lot of LTE bands. The only major downsides to the phone are no NFC, and it's not water resistant. I can't complain given the price though.

Cozmo456 Nov 24, 2018 6:16 am

Nokia 6.1

Dual SIM. But one of the slots can be used for a MicroSD instead.

Cloudship Nov 24, 2018 7:17 am

Originally Posted by STVA (Post 30459162)
I have a Motorola G6. They are only $200 now but have a ton of value for the price.

Has SD slot, a headphone jack, 5.7" screen. Works on a lot of LTE bands. The only major downsides to the phone are no NFC, and it's not water resistant. I can't complain given the price though.

I was looking at tht one. How is the display on it? I reaxd in a couple of reviews it wasn't as good as some of the higher-end phones.

Originally Posted by Cozmo456 (Post 30461129)
Nokia 6.1
Dual SIM. But one of the slots can be used for a MicroSD instead.

Do they have a model that supports band 30 though? I am on Cricket and I am a little worried that they may be rolling out more band 30 coverage, especially around Boston and a few areas I travel.

STVA Nov 24, 2018 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship (Post 30461228)
I was looking at tht one. How is the display on it? I reaxd in a couple of reviews it wasn't as good as some of the higher-end phones.

The screen looks good to my eyes. My other phone is an iPhone 7 and I think it looks just as good. However, I have not had a newer high end phone so I can't compare it to the best displays out there.