Community
Wiki Posts
Search

deleting expired passes from iPhone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Question deleting expired passes from iPhone

And so I begin the the mind-numbing task of deleting a year's worth of expired passes, a perennial annoyance for users of Apple Wallet. I know this has been asked countless times on countless Apple-oriented forums....but what is current state of the art? Has Apple fixed this, or is it App dependent? In my case I am using the AA app with iOS 11.4.1.

Please don't post methods to manually delete passes, I get how to do that. The question is how to auto-expire passes so the user doesn't need to think about it.

edited to add: As discussed here this is admittedly how Apple Wallet was designed to work (passes do not inherently expire) but there are ways this could be improved by both Apple and the app developers.

Last edited by SouthernCross; Nov 22, 2018 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My "state of the art" to avoid an annual mass deletion of accumulated expired passes is to delete them as they expire.
nancypants and GadgetFreak like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by CPRich
My "state of the art" to avoid an annual mass deletion of accumulated expired passes is to delete them as they expire.
agreed- I keep them only until the miles post and then they gone
Old Nov 23, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Hugely frustrating and I agree with the OP. How is it I can quickly clean up my email by selecting "from" and mass delete things, but not this? This is an Apple fail IMO that some sort of mass delete isn't possible.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Expired AA boarding passes can be deleted from Apple Wallet in a few clicks.

From AA app swipe up and select Notifications and Info. Then scroll to bottom of page and select Delete Expired Walket Passes. De-select any pass you don’t want to delete. Click Delete from right top corner of the page.

Yes, they don’t auto delete but an easy periodic bulk dumping of trash.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Segments
Expired AA boarding passes can be deleted from Apple Wallet in a few clicks.

From AA app swipe up and select Notifications and Info. Then scroll to bottom of page and select Delete Expired Walket Passes. De-select any pass you don’t want to delete. Click Delete from right top corner of the page.

Yes, they don’t auto delete but an easy periodic bulk dumping of trash.
thank you Segments!

a relatively painless solution...not automatic but certainly faster than the alternatives.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SouthernCross

thank you Segments!

a relatively painless solution...not automatic but certainly faster than the alternatives.
As someone else alluded to, is there some reason that you need to allow them to accumulate for a year, rather than simply deleting them as they expire?

Regards
nancypants likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by scubadu
As someone else alluded to, is there some reason that you need to allow them to accumulate for a year, rather than simply deleting them as they expire?

Regards
Habit of holding onto passes until flight credits my account? Too busy checking email during taxi to gate to bother with clean up? And then I forget until there’s a pile of passes ... it’s what happens when you have 4 BP/week, every week.

Seriously, don’t want to delete until after I’ve arrived in case of IRROPS (even if I also taken a screenshot so I can use when accessing a Centurion or PP lounge upon landing- yeah, double delete).

Old Nov 26, 2018, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Segments
Seriously, don’t want to delete until after I’ve arrived in case of IRROPS (even if I also taken a screenshot so I can use when accessing a Centurion or PP lounge upon landing- yeah, double delete).

I get that, we travel a lot too. That said, there is a big difference between waiting until one has arrived and waiting "a year"

Anyhow, sounds like a solution has been provided.

Regards
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:41 pm

Never delete. Just let them pile up. Don't really care as long as the newest BP is at the top. Except for Korean Air. They like to group all their passes together, regardless of date. Which makes it very confusing as to where your BP went.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito
Never delete. Just let them pile up. Don't really care as long as the newest BP is at the top. Except for Korean Air. They like to group all their passes together, regardless of date. Which makes it very confusing as to where your BP went.
Of course, if you took 7 seconds to delete irrelevant, expired boarding passes after the flight is completed, then you'd never get "very confused" even when flying Korean Air

Regards
Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
Of course, if you took 7 seconds to delete irrelevant, expired boarding passes after the flight is completed, then you'd never get "very confused" even when flying Korean Air

Regards
Thankfully I don't fly KAL that much!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: CO Plat
iOS 12 added the ability to batch delete passes and makes the process much easier. Open Wallet, scroll to the bottom and select edit passes.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by rt1flea
iOS 12 added the ability to batch delete passes and makes the process much easier. Open Wallet, scroll to the bottom and select edit passes.
Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: CO Plat
Originally Posted by rt1flea
Seems this was actually available in iOS 11.4.1 that the OP is using as well. I had skipped from 10 to 12 and assumed it was introduced in 12.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.